What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels vs Broncos game thread

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
I'm not here to talk crap. But Sandows big issue (other then defense), is he goes missing in games. One game is not nearly enough to make a judgement of him for the season, he needs to put his hand up when the game is on the line.

regardless. No hayne, 2 new halves. It will take time to gel for you guys

I've see enough of Kearneys coaching with NZ and Parra to realise that he isn't going to take us to the promise land. Just because you serve an apprenticeship under Bellamy these days doesn't mean you're going to be the next big thing. Bellamy hasn't won a thing with a legally assembled team and still
coaches a team with three/two of the modern day greats in the most important positions.

Off my soap box.

You know what, I agree with you. Our defence in the first half was OK but in attack we still looked disjointed. Burt looked lost, the rest of the backs........hmmm. The halves tried hard but their really still lacked structure.

Kearney still hasn't convinced me and I still don't know why the club extended his contract.

It is going to be a long year

Avenger

Immortal
You know what, I agree with you. Our defence in the first half was OK but in attack we still looked disjointed. Burt looked lost, the rest of the backs........hmmm. The halves tried hard but their really still lacked structure.

Kearney still hasn't convinced me and I still don't know why the club extended his contract.

They haven't extended anything.

El Diablo

Post Whore

don't think they have yet

Bazal

Post Whore
He was completely outplayed by Mannah and Allgood. Poore won't be with us next season, gave a soft couple of penalties and dropped a dolly. I thought we lost it after Roberts went off. Casey and Keating on together = no points.

Disagree on Poore, who was solid and will improve. I agree with you re Roberts, althought not for the reason you gave. I think that Sandow has clearly spent his time striking up a combo with Roberts. They looked good together in the first have and we looked good. When Roberts went off, it looked like Sandow, Burt, Casey and Keating all tried to fill the gap and we were just messy. For Sandow, I would say that because he hasn't had the chance to really play his way into the side as a whole, he maybe didn't have the confidence in those around him that he seemed to have developed with Roberts. For the others, I'd say that Kearney hadn't really outlined much of a plan for replacing Roberts, and as a result they all tried to step up and got in each others way. Keating and Casey are fine in their own roles, but one of them needed to stick to it and the other just needed to support Sandow and let him run the game as he did in the first forty.

Given it was first round with brand new halves (one of which we lost) I think there were some very good signs personally. Sandow will find his way in the team and we looked so much better for having a real 7 in that first half.

ShaunC

Juniors
Easy solutions to all our problems.

Sack Kearney.
Sack Sandow.
Sack Hindy.
Sack Burt.
Sack Matuia.
Sack a village or two as that was a done thing in the day.
Sack Fui Fui.
Sack the bloke who collects the balls during kicking practice.
Sack race (three legged kind).
Sack the entire team.
Sack this forum.
Sack me.
Sack you.

Missed anyone?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I'm not here to talk crap. But Sandows big issue (other then defense), is he goes missing in games. One game is not nearly enough to make a judgement of him for the season, he needs to put his hand up when the game is on the line.

regardless. No hayne, 2 new halves. It will take time to gel for you guys

Yeah agreed he went missing in the last 15 or so mins ( and I am a Sandow fan), but with no Hayne or Roberts in the side and no "go to player in the backs" all the broncos had to do was to focus all their pressure on him which they did very nicely (full credit them).

ShaunC

Juniors
On a serious note (being F#, the most serious note of all), I agree that Roberts going off seemed to throw the side out of whack.

And Sandow did try hard. Broncos' defence second half was very in his face. And when the mistakes were made he was first to run down the Broncos' player.

Still 25 rounds and 50 points on offer. We aren't done yet!

Last edited:

Captain Rabbit

Juniors
I've see enough of Kearneys coaching with NZ and Parra to realise that he isn't going to take us to the promise land. Just because you serve an apprenticeship under Bellamy these days doesn't mean you're going to be the next big thing. Bellamy hasn't won a thing with a legally assembled team and still
coaches a team with three/two of the modern day greats in the most important positions.

I am truly of the belief that Kearney was bought to Parra to be a role model to large population of Islanders in our ranks. Unfortunately there is still a lot of lazy head hangers in the team that get picked week in week out.

I am still not sold on Sandow but I'm willing to give him a bit yet. He came up with a few effective kicks early but his game went downhill when the going got tough. Hopefully the attitude of the team doesn't bring his attitude down if we lose a few in a row. It's going to be a long year.

Off my soap box.

Give Sandow a bit of time, he is going to win you plenty of games this season providing ALL your forwards aim up for 80 minutes...not just Hindmarsh and Mannah. Chrissy is a great signing and things will improve with Hayne in the side.
All the best guys,
Go the Bunnies!!!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Give Sandow a bit of time, he is going to win you plenty of games this season providing ALL your forwards aim up for 80 minutes...not just Hindmarsh and Mannah. Chrissy is a great signing and things will improve with Hayne in the side.
All the best guys,
Go the Bunnies!!!
Are you sure you're a Souths fan???? A far to intelligent and thought out post.

BranVan3000

Coach
He's right. Sandow will be a different player in the next few weeks than the one he has been this week and the last four years

Can't wait to see it.

ParraSteve

Juniors
Thought Mannah and Allgood were outstanding, I thought fui was pretty disappointing tonight.

I'd be swapping Morgan and Blair around, I think both are playing out of position.

Avenger

Immortal
Burt will hold his spot in the team due to the general inexperience of our backline. He is also a better player when Hayne is feeding him quality ball.

Our forwards look awesome. Go forward no problems very impressed. I do hope we do develop a few off loads though just to mix it up. My Problem with the forwards is Keating he is just to slow in his distribution of the ball. He hangs on to it for to long and when the nuffy does finally let it go. The defence is up in our faces.

If we had Hayne tonight we win. Sandow was struggling to do it all by himself.

The game was a mixed bag for me but with Hayne coming back we can do well. Defence was awesome tonight!!

ShaunC

Juniors
My Problem with the forwards is Keating he is just to slow in his distribution of the ball. He hangs on to it for to long and when the nuffy does finally let it go. The defence is up in our faces.

He still has that habit of leaving the ball on the ground fore a few seconds before deciding who to pass it too. Just bizarre.

Still, he did make some good runs up the middle during the game.