What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England v Australia - 5th Test (THE DECIDER!)

aussies1st

Staff member
JJ said:
I'm struggling to understand why they aren't playing on - they need to win... a 3-1 loss is the same as a 2-1 loss in that they lose the ashes... they're in a good position, they need to play

If they don't believe they can stay in when offered light no point in staying on. Aus are still in a good pos but if they played on and lost 2 wickets then England would be back in the box seat and Aus lose that advantage they could have had.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
GoTheBears said:
I woulda thought declare at 373 and then bowl as well as possible, hopefully getting em out quick and chase, bu that is unlikely to happen
Why would you do that?? It makes most sense to establish a lead that you can defend and also have enough time to bowl them out. If they can get a lead of say 250 by the end of the 4th day (with say 5-10 overs left to play in the day) then they have a full day to bowl them out. And with a turning pitch by that time, they will be able to throw Warne at them. Also, if they declare a few overs before the end of the day, then the English openers need to survive this short spell which sometimes proves too difficult.

Tommy Smith

Referee
If i was Australia id declare with a lead of 150 which would put England in before tea tomorrow for a nasty spell. That way they will almost certainly bowl England out, leave themself a target they can prepapre to make with whatever overs are left and negate the serious possiblity of bad light wiping out a big part of the last session on Monday.

Btw, isnt perspective an amazing thing? Bad decisions go against Australia and everyone whinges. They go against England and nothing is said.

Langer was out first ball yesterday. Ponting got an inside edge which was clearly out and Martyn knicked one behind. The saying that they even out over the series is proving to be true.

But England wont be complaining about it or getting fined. It happens, they'll get on with it!

Rammo

Juniors
They should put Gilchrist in next as a pinch hitter, get a lead up of about 200 with 10 to 15 overs left in the day, hopefully take 1 or 2 early wickets, then bundle them out on day 5, that is only if the rain stays away.

aussies1st

Staff member
Tommy Smith said:
If i was Australia id declare with a lead of 150 which would put England in before tea tomorrow for a nasty spell. That way they will almost certainly bowl England out, leave themself a target they can prepapre to make with whatever overs are left and negate the serious possiblity of bad light wiping out a big part of the last session on Monday.

Btw, isnt perspective an amazing thing? Bad decisions go against Australia and everyone whinges. They go against England and nothing is said.

Langer was out first ball yesterday. Ponting got an inside edge which was clearly out and Martyn knicked one behind. The saying that they even out over the series is proving to be true.

But England wont be complaining about it or getting fined. It happens, they'll get on with it!

Thats what happens in a aussie dominated forum. ;-)

Red Bear

Referee
Rammo said:
They should put Gilchrist in next as a pinch hitter, get a lead up of about 200 with 10 to 15 overs left in the day, hopefully take 1 or 2 early wickets, then bundle them out on day 5, that is only if the rain stays away.
I'd agree with that

NPK

Bench
Why aren't they starting early to make up lost time? Don't they normally do that in tests???

Timbo

Staff member
If I was Ponting, I'd declare now, back the bowlers to knock them over for 250, then have a day to chase down 350.

choc_soldier

Coach
Declare behind? That's a very bold move... one that I'm sure would backfire more often than not. But if it's a crumbling pitch, it MAY work...

Latest posts