What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England v Australia @ DW Stadium, Wigan

England v Australia; Who will win (or draw)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chook Norris

First Grade
"'Close' to a sell out" apparently.. over 21,000 tickets have probably sold by now (in a 25k seat stadium)

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyle...=rleague/09/10/29/RUGBYL_England_Peacock.html

More than 20,000 tickets have already been snapped up and England second rower Gareth Ellis, who has spent this year playing for Wests Tigers in Australia's NRL, is anticipating a passionate atmosphere.
"One thing I've missed about Super League is the noise an English crowd makes," he said.
"The atmosphere was good at Doncaster but the noise level is going to be cranked up even higher on Saturday.
"As an English player you are lifted when the crowd gets behind you. The atmosphere over here can be unsettling for the Australian players and I hope all our fans get behind us

roughyedspud

Coach
england team just announced

England: S Briscoe (Hull KR); T Briscoe (Hull), Smith (Leeds), Shenton (Castleford), Hall (Leeds); McGuire (Leeds), Tomkins (Wigan); Morley (Warrington), Roby (St Helens), Graham (St Helens), Ellis (Wests Tigers), Peacock (Leeds, captain), Sinfield (Leeds).
Substitutes: Burgess (Bradford), Crabtree (Huddersfield), Eastmond (St Helens), Westwood (Warrington).

Only people with half a brain are complaining about Lockyer's selection. How did Shillington come into calculations? He didn't even play!

Thaiday wasn't used properly, Hoffman and White are benefactors of playing for a succesful club brimming with superstars, there are better players infront of them and Kidley is Mr. Congeniality.

The major complaints were the amount of backrowers, backs and utilities chosen.

It's a Tim Sheens coached side, what did you expect. This is a bloke who coached a whole season (2008) with a lock/5-8 (Fulton) at lock, with a bench containing a hooker/half/lock (Morris) and a lock/hooker/centre (Halatau), and when he realised it didn't work, he punted his f**kin halfback to accomodate them all.

He's gone into games against Monster packs with no props on the bench, with ex centres (Harrison and Galea) at prop, shifted key players out of position to accomodate the spastic he bought (Moving Farah and Marshall to halfback to accomodate Morris).

When his experiments fail, he sends his gnome of a wingman in Royce Simmons, who wouldn't know the difference between his elbow and his arse, to explain why they've made the change, which is always some bs excuse (my personal favourite was that there is no difference between a halfback and a 5/8, so we're shifting Marshall back to 5/8).

I am not even remotely surprised that he's gone into a big series with 4 props in his squad, 3 of which are debutons, causing him to play his back rowers out of position to cover for it, and I can bet you 99% of Tigers fans aren't surprised either.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Hmmm, going by this squad, I think Watmough will be defending next to Lockyer? That is the most f**ked decision that Sheens has made with this selection.
Which Englishman is on that side of the field? Peacock I believe?

I really hope Lewis gets the nod, he is a hard player.

nadera78

Juniors
england team just announced

England: S Briscoe (Hull KR); T Briscoe (Hull), Smith (Leeds), Shenton (Castleford), Hall (Leeds); McGuire (Leeds), Tomkins (Wigan); Morley (Warrington), Roby (St Helens), Graham (St Helens), Ellis (Wests Tigers), Peacock (Leeds, captain), Sinfield (Leeds).
Substitutes: Burgess (Bradford), Crabtree (Huddersfield), Eastmond (St Helens), Westwood (Warrington).

Taking into account the initial 24 man squad that Smith picked, that team is probably the best we've got, except for Carvell in for Westwood and even that is debatable.

Looks like they're gonna play it hard, straight down the middle. Can't wait for some fireworks.

Brutus

Referee
Burgess will start from the bench hey. MMM...interesting.

That's the best Pommy pack I have seen in ages.

Just need Hanley, Schofield and Jason Robinson in the backline and they'll be sweet.

Last edited:

The Clan

Juniors
I've no real complaints about the team T Smiths picked here.

Nit picking, I would have had Carvel on the bench for Westwood but considering Peacock is already in the back row maybe Smith has gone for slightly more mobility in Westwood.

Eastmond would have been a good shout at full back but in all honesty S. Briscoe deserves a chance to show what he's got.

Burgess off the bench might be a trump card, he'll be itching to get on the field and rip into Australia.

Its no secret that I would have had Danny Brough and Sam Tomkins as the halfbacks as with that pack in front of them they could have gone beserk. Thats not to be so roll on Saturday.

JB

Juniors
Strong looking forward pack.

Problem is. Even if they dominate or at best gain parity, dont think they have the backs to take advantage of it.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
It's a Tim Sheens coached side, what did you expect. This is a bloke who coached a whole season (2008) with a lock/5-8 (Fulton) at lock, with a bench containing a hooker/half/lock (Morris) and a lock/hooker/centre (Halatau), and when he realised it didn't work, he punted his f**kin halfback to accomodate them all.

He's gone into games against Monster packs with no props on the bench, with ex centres (Harrison and Galea) at prop, shifted key players out of position to accomodate the spastic he bought (Moving Farah and Marshall to halfback to accomodate Morris).

When his experiments fail, he sends his gnome of a wingman in Royce Simmons, who wouldn't know the difference between his elbow and his arse, to explain why they've made the change, which is always some bs excuse (my personal favourite was that there is no difference between a halfback and a 5/8, so we're shifting Marshall back to 5/8).

I am not even remotely surprised that he's gone into a big series with 4 props in his squad, 3 of which are debutons, causing him to play his back rowers out of position to cover for it, and I can bet you 99% of Tigers fans aren't surprised either.

Spot on. We've been whinging for years about Sheens' team selections, now everyone else can enjoy them too. :lol:

user_nat

Coach
Both Farah and Lewis on the bench. Clearly 1 utility wasn't enough in the first game.

Atleast Lewis has use besides being a utility.

mozza91

Coach
England are a great chance of winning , there pack is way better then ours plus our bench is easily the worst ever assembled for a Test match in history

aussies1st

Staff member
Now that is a great forward pack by the English. Can't believe we left behind guys that could counter them.

Chook Norris

First Grade
looks like a very strong forward pack, looks like they'll be looking to take in the same game plan as the Kiwis

JB:
Problem is. Even if they dominate or at best gain parity, dont think they have the backs to take advantage of it.

I was thinking the same thing with the Kiwis, their backline was diminished imo; look where it got them

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Exciting team from England. It will interesting to see how young Tomkins performs, I'm looking forward to it. I'm not sure about Crabtree, but we'll see.

Either way, c'mon England!