What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ennis - dirty little bugga

roopy

Referee
Rexxy said:
Roopy, as a matter of interest, didn't your sig used to say "Michael Ennis, Newcastle's next superstar?"

What's your opinion now?
Good memory.
I still think he has everything needed to be a great player, and not just because he is from my hometown - went to my highschool - was coached in his early years by guys i used to play with etc etc.
Having said that, he is still a dirty little bugga - which is considered a real asset when playing for the Dora Creek Swampies (his junior side) - but is something he needs to get out of his game soon.

*melliez*

Juniors
I rate Ennis quite highly, have for a couple of years now, he will definately be a great player in the years to come, but his fighting (as funny as it is) will get him into trouble...

Rexxy

Coach
If anyone is going to get the best out of him, it will be Browny the ex hooker.

He's also imprved his goal kicking, and he makes some great breaks from dummy half. he seems to me to be a real thinker. And a bit of a character too.

I hadn't noticed too many penalties, or niggle but we do have Rylsey to do that stuff for us ;-)

roopy said:
Good memory.
I still think he has everything needed to be a great player, and not just because he is from my hometown - went to my highschool - was coached in his early years by guys i used to play with etc etc.
Having said that, he is still a dirty little bugga - which is considered a real asset when playing for the Dora Creek Swampies (his junior side) - but is something he needs to get out of his game soon.

roopy

Referee
He was officially the player who has given away the most penalties this year in an article about 2 weeks ago.
He said he has talked to his coach about it and needs to improve - but I'm starting to think he can't stop himself.
I watched him for at least two years in the Knights lower grades - and the refs were on his case every game - and he deserved it.
He will soon get the same reputation in firstgrade if he doesn't stop with the niggle - if he hasn't already got it.

roopy

Referee
Willow said:
A habit he must have picked up in Newcastle.
Definately picked up the habit in Dora Creek I'd say. Some of the guys who gave him his early coaching would be proud that he fights more than plays.

bluesbreaker

Bench
He's just got the personality of a guy who loves to fight... Shame he doesn't have the ability, i've seen him get trounced outside of footy three times by the same guy.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I think he will be a good player. When, I don't know, but he does improve in little area's each game. As many of the Knights fans have said, he does need to get rid of the niggle, and a few of his brain explosions in terms of the options he's taken were strange, but then again, if he pulled them off we'd call him a legend.

Rub of the green with him sometimes.

roopy

Referee
Ennis is not so much 'improving' with his kicks and touches, as being allowed to play his natural game.
In 2003 he played 19 games of PL for the Knights and scored 19 tries - a try a game for a hooker is remarkable in anyone's language. (he was 18 at the time)
He scored his tries in every conceivable manner - dummy half runs, chip kicks, backing up his forwards, stripping the ball, throwing huge dummies - basically he tries to use the full bag of tricks to get over the line.
The problem with him in 2003 was that he was a terrible hooker, because he didn't get the ball to his outside players - he mostly hogged it himself. He was also the main tactical kicker and goal kicker for the side. It was basically all about him, and we finished 3rd last because of it.
His last two years of firstgrade, 2004 and 2005, have been all about learning when to use his undoubted kicking and attacking talents - and when to use the rest of the team.
He has every skill you can think of, but he doesn't know when to use them yet.