What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Even this early, is there only 3 who can win?

Garts

Bench
To early to tell. But I would be very surprised if both Melbourne and St George are in the GF.

thommo4pm

Coach
What about NQ and Canterbury Thommo?

I included Manly due to the fact that they had already played last night.

Canterbury look like they are going to win and the Cows have already won, so you can throw them in also.

If the Cows & Dogs lost then they would have fallen back into the cluster of teams at the bottom of the 8.
Teams 9 & below are already starting to get in trouble, and falling too far back, with some poor +/- back at the lower end of the table.

Loudstrat

Coach
Did you watch the game? Or have watched any broncos game this season? If it weren't for their defence they wouldn't have won nearly as many games as they have.

Pretty much all their tries last night came off tigpies mistakes or shit defence. They have no attack, and were lucky to score as much as they did.

Defence wins comps you goose. Defence caused the Ryan spill which led to a try. Defence kept Benji quiet, and Ellis. If your defence is No. 1 - you are looking at top 4.

That said, you are right on one aspect. If their defence was worse, and they let more points in than they score in each game, then they tend to lose.

Idiot.

Butters

Bench
Defence wins comps you goose. Defence caused the Ryan spill which led to a try. Defence kept Benji quiet, and Ellis. If your defence is No. 1 - you are looking at top 4.

That said, you are right on one aspect. If their defence was worse, and they let more points in than they score in each game, then they tend to lose.

Idiot.

Where the f**k have i said that the broncos having a dominant defence was a bad thing? :?

FFS all i have said in this thread that although the broncos have an awesome defence, they have an average attack and thus aren't as good as the clear top 2 teams; Storm and St Merge.

Last edited:

Scarves

Juniors
I think Round 7 can be a false dawn. Saints are going strong and have recent form history to show they'll continue in that fashion and possibly get better.

The Storm are going exceptionally well. Far better than I thought, however they are currently running a stacked deck of home games coinciding with this form. Origin is coming, the possibility of Origin hangover or injury, then there are away games following that. Historically a top four placing is crucial and I'm not sure that's money for jam here.

Brisbane look good. If Lockyer and Hodges stay fit this team will get better as the season goes on.

The Bulldogs will continue to improve their combinations, I can't write them off.

Manly's chances depend heavily on the development of their young halves who look sharp, this team should get better and grow in confidence, I'm glad I got on at $32 after their Round 1 loss.

I'm loathe to write off the Tigers, they have plenty of time to sort out their injury crises.

And then there are those clubs that limp around all year and make a late run with momentum. It's not a two horse race for mine.

I'm loathe to write off the Tigers, they have plenty of time to sort out their injury crises.

As a Tigers fan I say write us off. We are lacking in so many facets of the game. For starters our forwards are, and always have been ineffectual. Our main strength, our backline, has been exhausted of its attacking potency with the loss of Lawrence, Tuqiri, Tuiaki and Daniela. Our back three cannot contest a bomb. Our first choice fullback, Mckinnon, is perennially injured and his replacement, Moltzen, is dreadfully inept. Our hooker is also injured but continues playing to the detriment of the team. Our long kicking game is inconsistent and short game non-existent - we have hoisted 3 successful bombs since 2003 and tries from grubber kicks ceased following the departure of Whatuira and John Wilson. Our coach is senile, intransigent and considers himself beyond reproach.

My criticism of the team is not a cry for sympathy, I'm merely stating it as it is. Perhaps Lui and Marshall will guide us to a few wins but not enough to get us to the top 8. We'll merely offer nuisance value and end up finishing between 9th and 11th, as per normal. Last year, like 2005, was an aberration.

Shorty

Staff member
I'm at a loss as to why the Tigers were favourites to beat the Broncos in the first place, it wasn't going to happen...look at where the Broncos are on the ladder.
That said the teams at the top are there from consistency in form, we will see where things stand once things get complicated around origin time.

isaiah

Bench
Broncos are average, no attack at all with an awesome defence. If the tigpies knew how to tackle the broncos would've been stomped.

Storm and St Merge are the benchmark atm, no one else comes close.

lol, do you also think your nsw origin side is a chance of stopping 6 in a row?

isaiah

Bench
I'm at a loss as to why the Tigers were favourites to beat the Broncos in the first place, it wasn't going to happen...look at where the Broncos are on the ladder.
That said the teams at the top are there from consistency in form, we will see where things stand once things get complicated around origin time.

weight of money, ill-advised

isaiah

Bench
teams supplying lots of players to the origin series suffering a slump soon after is just all a media beat-up

isaiah

Bench
I agree with every second comment so far, it's way too early to make a call like that . i wouldn't right off the roosters yet and it may be all the pre season hype but im waiting for the raiders to do something.

still waiting for the raiders, but what about those knights?

ngunity

Juniors
so broncs v dogs next friday gives us an insight?

I think after rd 9 when the Broncos have played both the Dogs and then the Storm will we have a better idea.
I contend the Broncos have had a soft draw thus far and until they play some 2011 contenders we don't really know if they deserve to be included with Dragons and Storm..... and heck even if the Broncos do play well against real contenders they're still odds on to implode post Origin just like they so often do...

To the original question; Of course not, it's a bloody stupid question to pose in April. :crazy:

Danny-Boy

Juniors
Still early in the comp but you'd think the top 6 at the moment will go on and make the semi's.

I'm fairly confident that at a neutral venue both Melbourne and Manly would beat St.George comfortably.

Saints to choke in a real premiership race this year.

Manly or Melbourne to win it.

Broncos to put up a fair fight.

Bulldogs and Cowboys will ask a few questions but fall short.

Forget the rest bar a late surge like parra 2009.

Rodent

Bench
Saints to choke in a real premiership race this year.
That's drawing a long bow. Saints had ample opportunity to choke last year and didn't concede a point in the 2nd half of the finals and they came from behind twice at half-time.
If losing=choking then the Dragons are the least likely to choke under the tutelage of Wayne Bennett.
Of course if you want to go back 2 decades, you will find 4 GF losses to strengthen your argument.
Live in the now man!