What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Even this early, is there only 3 who can win?

Jason Maher

Immortal
Only 3 teams? Hardly. Such judgements can't really be made at this time of year. Looking at the comp so far, I'd say Us and Melbourne are the two stone cold certainties as contenders. Brisbane are a bit like us in 09. You look at the squad and say "no", but the way they are playing puts them firmly in the picture if they can keep it up. Canterbury and the Cowboys have the cattle to challenge if they can maintain the early form. Manly I'm still unconvinced about, but like the Broncos they're currently putting themselves squarely in the picture. The Tigers can certainly challenge if they can get all their players back on board. The Roosters look to be self-destructing currently, but if they can stay close enough and Carney makes it back this season, you can't write them off. I may be alone in this regard, but I still rate the Raiders. Plenty of time for them to go on a run and get themselves back in it. Newcastle are in a similar position to the Tigers, but I don't think they have quite the same level of talent. The rest - Warriors, Cronulla, Penrith, Gold Coast, Parra, and of course Lol@50uffs - I just can't see being any chance.

SET2JT

Juniors
I think a full strength Manly would go close this year. There flying under the radar at the moment.

Storm will struggle if they get any more injuries in the forwards ??...they are low on props at the moment but I am hoping that they can hang in there and a home final would be a bonus.

The draw in the second half of the season is mainly away from the home and this makes it a little more difficult as well.

LESStar58

Referee
I'm still going with my pre-season prediction and calling Storm Vs Saints but the rational part of me knows it is still waaaay to early to call!

However, I'm genuinely excited by the prospect of Storm and Brisbane playing off for outright ladder leader at The Cauldron in 2 weeks time... provided both teams have results go their way of course and Saints somehow drop a game.

InThatNumber

Juniors
Still early in the comp but you'd think the top 6 at the moment will go on and make the semi's.

I'm fairly confident that at a neutral venue both Melbourne and Manly would beat St.George comfortably.

Saints to choke in a real premiership race this year.

Manly or Melbourne to win it.

Broncos to put up a fair fight.

Bulldogs and Cowboys will ask a few questions but fall short.

Forget the rest bar a late surge like parra 2009.
It was a real premiership race last year Danny. Melbourne only have themselves to blame for not being able to compete. As for choking, pull your head in.

Gaba

First Grade
Still early in the comp but you'd think the top 6 at the moment will go on and make the semi's.

I'm fairly confident that at a neutral venue both Melbourne and Manly would beat St.George comfortably.
last time manly and the dragons played in a finals game at a neutral venue

dragons won 28-0

I think everyone is underestimating the Knights. We've won 4 from 7 and only played 1 game at home this year so we still have 11 games at Newcastle. As long as injuries don't tear us apart again, we should be up there.

Big Pete

Referee
I'm still going with my pre-season prediction and calling Storm Vs Saints but the rational part of me knows it is still waaaay to early to call!

However, I'm genuinely excited by the prospect of Storm and Brisbane playing off for outright ladder leader at The Cauldron in 2 weeks time... provided both teams have results go their way of course and Saints somehow drop a game.

That would've been a great prospect if the game wasn't played a day after the ANZAC test match.

It'll still be a good match but sadly it won't get the build up it deserves.

Apey

Staff member
I think everyone is underestimating the Knights. We've won 4 from 7 and only played 1 game at home this year so we still have 11 games at Newcastle. As long as injuries don't tear us apart again, we should be up there.

two home games, i'd say we're doing well considering the injuries but that's about it

AuDragon

Juniors
The Dragons will be there.
Storm needs to get through the Origin period and has played 2 away games only, one of which they were hammered, so too early to tell.
Broncos same predicament come Origin time, but have won 4 games away from home already, and at tough grounds too (albeit Canberra seems to be a walk in the park for pretty much everyone nowadays :sarcasm:).
Manly, Dogs and Cows seem to have the goods to make the finals.

Of the rest, it's really about who will mount a solid run. Tigers and Canberra, if mostly fit and healthy, have the better troops, but Chooks, Knights, Warriors and even LOL@50uff$ could give them a run for their money, although they're more likely to fight to avoid the spoon amongst the likes of Titans, Eels, Sharks and Panthers.

Then again, everything could change in another 8 weeks... :crazy:

Danny-Boy

Juniors
That's drawing a long bow. Saints had ample opportunity to choke last year and didn't concede a point in the 2nd half of the finals and they came from behind twice at half-time.
If losing=choking then the Dragons are the least likely to choke under the tutelage of Wayne Bennett.
Of course if you want to go back 2 decades, you will find 4 GF losses to strengthen your argument.
Live in the now man!

I didn't say they choked last year, I said they'll choke this year with Melbourne and a full strength Manly in the comp.

It was a real premiership race last year Danny. Melbourne only have themselves to blame for not being able to compete. As for choking, pull your head in.

Last year's comp was ruined due to David Gallop's decision to not award points to the Storm. It's not Saints fault as all they could do is play what was in front of them. The 2010 season will always have a stain on it.

last time manly and the dragons played in a finals game at a neutral venue

dragons won 28-0

That game was played at Kogarah against a Manly team that had half their squad missing due to injury and suspension. Last time Saints played a full strength Manly at Brookie they got smashed 24-6. Can't remember if it was 2009 or 2010.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
"David Gallop's decision"?

:lol: I love 1. people who think he makes decisions on his own and he's personally responsible, somehow, for Brian Waldron and the Storm management CHEATING.

The stain on season 2010 won't be about the premiership, as the Dragons won it FAIRLY and squarely.

Danny-Boy

Juniors
"David Gallop's decision"?

:lol: I love 1. people who think he makes decisions on his own and he's personally responsible, somehow, for Brian Waldron and the Storm management CHEATING.

The stain on season 2010 won't be about the premiership, as the Dragons won it FAIRLY and squarely.

:lol: LOL a Bulldogs supporter claiming they won it fairly. I suppose you were one of the FEW Bulldogs supporters who claimed that the Roosters also won in fairly back in 2002 after having most of your points stripped?

Garts

Bench
:lol: LOL a Bulldogs supporter claiming they won it fairly. I suppose you were one of the FEW Bulldogs supporters who claimed that the Roosters also won in fairly back in 2002 after having most of your points stripped?

It was 2004.

Gaba

First Grade
That game was played at Kogarah against a Manly team that had half their squad missing due to injury and suspension. Last time Saints played a full strength Manly at Brookie they got smashed 24-6. Can't remember if it was 2009 or 2010.

the last neutral game in 2005 or 06 dragons vs manly

the dragons beat manly 28-0

Last edited:

Pigskin

Juniors
Enjoyed the game this afternoon, but saw nothing to be afraid of. Injuries will as always play a huge part in September action, but us Broncs are in this comp up to our ears.

Personally I think about 6 teams that could win the comp ... will be the usual story ... a good run of injuries and a team hitting form with about a month to go before finals, then a big roll with lots of confidence - lift the trophy.

Went looking for a price about Canberra today actually ... 55-1 was the best i could find ... not surprisingly on Betfair ... how lame, was hoping to find 100-1.

Oink !

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:lol: Joke's on you.

Roosters did win it fairly. Best legitimate team in 2002.