What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Everyone Has Their Price...Bennett to Knights

kmav23

Juniors
My point is Wayne is a hypocrite... telling players to take less to stay at brisbane... then he was taking millions from thir parties to stay at broncos then he leaves brisband and now stgeorge...

i dont mind taking him taking the money but dont give me this loyalty and challenge BS

Silent Knight

First Grade
I cbf reading the whole thread so it is a done deal or is it more speculation?

Just a bit more speculation from the media who really have nfi what Bennett's decision is going to be. Add a dash of Bunniesman with his pro-Souffs agenda and Kmav feigning self-righteous outrage about what motivates Bennett and you have a fairly ordinary thread.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I cbf reading the whole thread so it is a done deal or is it more speculation?
Just speculation. But haven't you heard? As long as the speculation is saying it's not Souths, you're allowed to take it as the gospel truth.

Was reading Phil Rothfield's blog today. Rothfield is one of the biggest wankers in footy journalism but he did say one smart thing. "Anyone who tells you they know where he's going is lying".

That I think is 100% right...but funny given how many times Rothfield has told us he knew where Bennett was going.

BranVan3000

Coach
Facts are, from Bennett's mouth:

He knows where he is going
He's not telling anyone when he is announcing it

That's it.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Sure the money is awesome but Tinkler has done a great job sweetening the deal. While Crowe can offer his posh apartment (which doesn't strike me as Bennett's type of crib anyway), Tinkler has offered him money, use of his private jet to see his family, and reportedly offered Ben Ikin a job. What gives Newcastle another advantage is that he can be the private man he wants to be. The last thing Bennet would want is people like Slothfield, Bourban Bec, and Weedler stalking him.
I reckon the knights are paying more than they have to personally but what's an extra mil or 2 for a man like Tinkler? It'd be like us paying an extra $50 bucks to get our car serviced at the good mechanic rather than the shonky lebanese on Canterbury rd

So your saying Stone is like a shonky Lebanese Mechanic in Sydneys inner South West? lol.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
You miss my point, it's got nothing to do with Stone. It's more reference to Tinkler offering overs just to be sure

sharko

Juniors
I didn't necessarily mean cardiovascular fitness, Perverse, but as I said it always appears that Newcastle is a club hit by a number of serious injuries every year.
Perhaps it's just luck?

Could be the Newcastle lifestyle..just ask Johns, Wicks, Houghton and "Gids".

Ghoulies

Bench
My point is Wayne is a hypocrite... telling players to take less to stay at brisbane... then he was taking millions from thir parties to stay at broncos then he leaves brisband and now stgeorge...

i dont mind taking him taking the money but dont give me this loyalty and challenge BS
If Bennett left Brisbane for the money then you would be making a slightly less geniused point, but he left because of other factors (the need for a change and generally being at odds with a few of the higher ups at the club).

jonno_knights

Juniors
What about the challenge of rejuvinating a local junior system that has produced only 1 local first grader since 2007 (Joel Edwards)? This coming after some 20-odd knights debuted during that timespan.

This will hopefully be Bennetts greatest contribution to the side. We won premierships on the back of our strong junior development. Bar our 2004 SG Ball/2006 JF Side its been a dry decade of junior development. And to think 3 of the 4 remaining guys from that side (Uate, Paterson, McManus) arnt exactly locals.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Are all Knights fans happy to see Stone shoved to the side to accomodate Bennett?

Yes, because Tinkler has gone on record that Stone will have a position at the knights irrespective of whether Bennett comes or not. Not 100% sure, but ive heard rumours of a 5yr contract being proposed to Stone.

He will benifit from having Bennett Tutor him. That'll mean Stone will then know what to do (Bennett), how to build a side (Smith) and what not to do (Hagan).

But Hagan might have taught Stone the art of winning a premiership after having the foundations laid by a good coach (Wok).

Only way I see Stone leaving the club is if another club offers him a head coaching role that is too good to refuse. He could be set up at the Knights for the next decade (or more) if all goes to plan.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Wigan's Michael Maguire and St George Illawarra mentor Wayne Bennett have been linked with the job, and speculation has been rife that Bennett met with Souths owner Russell Crowe about taking over from John Lang, who will stand down at the end of the year.
Gillis said he was unaware of rumours Bennett had told the club not to re-sign Sutton and Chris Sandow if they wanted him to take over

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8235625&mch=snlink&cmp=art_8235625

Interesting...but oh wait nevermind, they're Bennett-Souths rumours so they must be BS!

adamkungl

Immortal
Just speculation. But haven't you heard? As long as the speculation is saying it's not Souths, you're allowed to take it as the gospel truth.

Was reading Phil Rothfield's blog today. Rothfield is one of the biggest wankers in footy journalism but he did say one smart thing. "Anyone who tells you they know where he's going is lying".

That I think is 100% right...but funny given how many times Rothfield has told us he knew where Bennett was going.

this. He's a f**king idiot, he was saying souffs was a done deal months ago :lol:

Calling himself a liar...

Wato

Juniors
That's essentially a copy of the SMH article. Doesn't add anything new.

No one has any idea, I am not reading into anything and notice how they now use words that just speculate opposed to how sure they were before. Acting Knights CEO Troy Palmer says Ben Ikin has not been offered a position and the figures in the media are wrong.

Liddell

Juniors
Yes, because Tinkler has gone on record that Stone will have a position at the knights irrespective of whether Bennett comes or not. Not 100% sure, but ive heard rumours of a 5yr contract being proposed to Stone.

He will benifit from having Bennett Tutor him. That'll mean Stone will then know what to do (Bennett), how to build a side (Smith) and what not to do (Hagan).

But Hagan might have taught Stone the art of winning a premiership after having the foundations laid by a good coach (Wok).

Only way I see Stone leaving the club is if another club offers him a head coaching role that is too good to refuse. He could be set up at the Knights for the next decade (or more) if all goes to plan.

Fair enough, as long as Stone has some sort of role.

You have to wonder though, what if at the end of Bennetts reign, say Bellamy becomes available. Do you then chase him or go back to Stone?