What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Excuses no more

Badge

Juniors
I was just going through the buster thread. Yes it has been a dissappointing season for a number of different reasons, but i have to agree with Millers. A hell of a lot of this has been brought about by Ricky himself. Reasons being recruitment and retention.
Now I was not a fan of Kimmorley, however he played very well last year, still had a year to run on his contract , so what does Ricky do p.ss him off and he is playing above himself again this year. Bryson Goodwin not resigned, is a leading try scorer this year, Issac DeGois why not pay a bit more to keep him, instead we get Corey Hughes.
I feel that Ricky should have the heat starting to be put on him at any other club the questions would already have been asked. The only thing saving him would be the fact that we have no money. If next year is the same as this and with the signings we have made it doesnt appear that things will get a hell of alot better, the sword could be out. Just an opinion.

shadowboxer

First Grade
this reminds me of a police academy movie marathon - same over and over again.

year is gone build a bridge and walk over it to 2010 and during the off season scour the papers for any tidbit about the team "bonding well" and "training the house down".

at least souths are almost gone for the season, with a roster like they have it is pretty pathetic not to make the finals AGAIN. That miserable little coach must be in his last legs

azzah72

Bench
I tend to agree a little here,

We haven't had particularly dynamic attack at all since he has been here, his retention and recruitment is very questionable and he is always seeming to be blaming something other than him.

I wont call for the Axe but after next year if it more of the same, i'd say he has to go because he aint what he thinks he is.

The year he won the final with the roosters, it was a well known fact that he had gus gould helping behind the scenes, then they had a fall out and the year he was seemingly coaching by himself the rooster went to the sh*t, he came over here and the sharks have done sfa since his been here.

I know, I know, we were THIRD last year but our f/a was sh*t and let's be honest for a second, Manly and Melbourne > > > > > > > The rest of the comp last year! Those two were the only ones that were in it from a long way out from the finals, one or two of our small wins last year go the other way and we weren't as good as it looked!

The only time Ricky has looked good as a coach by himself was with a team of superstars for Australia, and he even screwed that up last year!

Let's just say I'm also starting to get skeptical!

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
. Reasons being recruitment and retention.
Our recruitment & planning for 2009, which took place in 2007, was fine. What wasnt fine is that we lost 5 of those players for god , from round 1 or before.
Now I was not a fan of Kimmorley, however he played very well last year, still had a year to run on his contract , so what does Ricky do p.ss him off and he is playing above himself again this year.
another who doesnt understand the real story. Ricky has a policy that if you dont want to be at the Sharks, then its time to go. Kimmorley was actively & blatantly whoring himself around to other clubs only weeks after he signed a 2 year deal with the Sharks. He played his usual shyte for the rest of 07 & by the start of 08 the Sharks were sick of the rumours they kept hearing about the little dead shyt asking for a release.
So at the Start of 08 it was decided to release him from his last year of hius deal. Only problem was, the dead shyt didnt have a club to go to. It nearly worked out great for the Sharks as we nearly landed Ryles in a direct swap early in 08. It was a done deal apparently, but then Kimmorleys manager stepped in and released it to the press as St gEorge till werent giving him the 3 rd year he was after. So kimmorley farkeed our club for 6 years with the craap he dished up week after week & in a goldent opportunity to land a real good front rower, he cruelled us there too. dead shyt carnnt.
. Reasons being recruitment and retention.
Our recruitment & planning for 2009, which took place in 2007, was fine. What wasnt fine is that we lost 5 of those players for good , from round 1 or before.
Bryson Goodwin not resigned, is a leading try scorer this year,
Covell has been highest try scorer & point scorer. So what? Goodwin is still average.
Issac DeGois why not pay a bit more to keep him,
because we didn't have $200,000 more to pay him , each year.
instead we get Corey Hughes.
He was the only hooker on the market to replace degois & came very cheap. it was thought he would form a good partnership with Seu Seu. Defensively, they do.

I feel that Ricky should have the heat starting to be put on him at any other club the questions would already have been asked. The only thing saving him would be the fact that we have no money. If next year is the same as this and with the signings we have made it doesnt appear that things will get a hell of alot better, the sword could be out. Just an opinion.
Well, you said it. How is that Rickys fault?
Its best to know all the facts when stating an opinion.

Last edited:

Ausguy

Coach
Those two were the only ones that were in it from a long way out from the finals, one or two of our small wins last year go the other way and we weren't as good as it looked

Let's just say I'm also starting to get skeptical!

and if the game against penrith we lost in golden point after leading by 14 or something goes the other way we are minor premiers :cool:

and your "starting" to get skeptical Az? you were on him from the start of the season or atleast Barrett. :lol:

Badge

Juniors
Hey blacktip wake up on the wrong side of the bed today!
Not sure I agree with all you said. Ricky didnt get along with Kimmorley so he got rid of him. I feel for the good of the team you put aside personal differences and get on with the job. I don't like Kimmorley either however last year he did play well. I am not sure it was Kimmorley shopping himself around as much as Ricky wanted rid of him. He is playing well this year in a sound team . All I am saying is that I don't think Ricky is all that he is cracked up to be and he should be under the pump and if we have another year like this year performance wise then questions need to be asked. I was not a fan of Raper either mind you but if he perfomed like this he would have been sacked earlier.

azzah72

Bench
and if the game against penrith we lost in golden point after leading by 14 or something goes the other way we are minor premiers :cool:

and your "starting" to get skeptical Az? you were on him from the start of the season or atleast Barrett. :lol:

Not sure what there is to laugh about Aus, yes i was skeptical about barrett (not ricky, well nothing a expressed anyway) at the beginning of the year and i have gladly stated that I was wrong, which is why I think it is coming form higher up!

Think about it!

The last two years before, we seriously has non existant attack with kimmorley in the team, he leaves, gets coached by a no name and he's probably the third best halfback this year and the team has great attack!

The messiah comes in much to everyones chargin, and yet, we are STILL minus differential, can't score a damn point, and even worse our defence has also gone out the window!!

Look at the last two years at the roosters! all star line-up and couldn't do a damn thing with them after his "fallout" with Gus. It has to be more than just a coincidence.

I'm just saying that maybe it IS the coaching and not just the players, I was sick of kimmorley as much as the next guy but I think he got alot of unfair criticism from alot on here but i have alot of friends as fans outside of this small contingent of fans and they are saying the same thing.

It must be Ricky!!

We'll see next year, I'm not wielding the Axe just yet but will be a bit wary if we start losing next year!

Drakken

Juniors
Cronulla could have kept Kimmorely, he was willing to stay on and take a further pay cut so as to not relocate. He was only looking at going to England after finishing his contract with the sharks. Fact is Cronulla could've had both Barrett and Kimmorely but it was ricky himself who didn't want to keep kimmorely any longer than he had to. He has made some mistakes in releasing some good quality players and recruiting some less talented and has been hypocritical in the process. Examples would be releasing Degois and signing Seu Seu, allowing Goodwin to sign elsewhere and releasing the sharks best player in "bad boy" Bird (and hanging him out to dry) for "clean skin" Matuia. But at least he is finally doing something with the juniors. Hopefully he will start retaining the local talent and turn back the clock ten years when Cronulla had the cheapest team running around and all but a few were local juniors. It's all good to bring in new talent but you should look at your own stockpile before recruting outside your own nest and try to retain those who show promise. But because of some of these mistakes i think some of the players have lost a bit of confidence in ricky so he has some work to do on winning the players confidence back over. However, some good decisions have been made in more recent times, the decision not to renew Hughes and Ross contracts and signing some good up and coming young talent, including Mathew Wright, Kelly and Gardner would be examples of this and will add some much needed depth in the backline. Add to this the board clean out was also a good thing for the club i believe. I know ricky accepts responsibility for some of the things gone wrong this season and hopefully he will have learnt from his mistakes and take the club in the right direction which i believe he is and will continue to do so. Now with some room to move under the cap thanks to the release of Ross, Cronulla are now after another half after making another potential mistake in not renewing Greens contract. I have heard him being bagged, but i think this kid will prove to be a very good player. Personally i would've used him as a hooker but i know he preferred to play in the halves. The reason why Green left was because he felt that ricky didn't allow him to play his "natural" game. But that's how it is, you either play the way the coach wants you to or you move on. When you looked at the sharks roster at the start of 2009 you would have thought they were top 4 material for all money especially after last seasons effort, but things happen. Successful clubs bounce back after disastrous seasons, the Bulldogs are a prime example of this, so next year will go a long way to determining whether cronulla will ever become a successful club.

Tucky

Juniors
My thoughts as well Quigs. My head hurt reading that. Had to re-read it a few times to absorb it all!

Drakken

Juniors
I guess what i'm trying to say in short is by making mistakes like letting a good young bloke with obvious skill like Goodwin go and keeping a guy with no basic skills like Misi then what would you expect from this team? It's been a problem at the club for a long time. The biggest mistake in my own personal opinion was the release of the Peach well before his time because they had a ready made superstar on hand to replace him in David Simmons. No other club makes these mistakes, so why does this one? And if they continue down this path of self-destruction then would you ever expect them to become a successful team?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Hey blacktip wake up on the wrong side of the bed today!
Not sure I agree with all you said. Ricky didnt get along with Kimmorley so he got rid of him. I feel for the good of the team you put aside personal differences and get on with the job. I don't like Kimmorley either however last year he did play well. I am not sure it was Kimmorley shopping himself around as much as Ricky wanted rid of him. He is playing well this year in a sound team . All I am saying is that I don't think Ricky is all that he is cracked up to be and he should be under the pump and if we have another year like this year performance wise then questions need to be asked. I was not a fan of Raper either mind you but if he perfomed like this he would have been sacked earlier.

I can guarantee you 100% that kimmorley was actively whoring himself around, big time. He wanted the 3 rd year deal. The reason Kimmorley & Sticky never saw eye to eye was because Kimmorley had settled in the area & was building his new house worth millions(of sharks money) on Gunnammata bay. He had factored on the 3rd year. Added to that the captaincy & extra marketing money the captain receives was taken away from him & handed to Paul Gallen. At the time Kimmorley signed the deal, he was ready to walk if he didn't get the three year deal & the club had Dykes signed. Then a desperate Kimmorley slashed his asking price & it was accepted on the proviso that he was committed to the Sharks. Within weeks, his manager was whoring him around. That is wy Kimorely & Sticky do not see eye to eye. Add to the fact that kimmorley has a reputation for blaming everybody else around him for failure, rather than himself. He is the most despicable person to ever wear the Sharks jumper, just in front of Bird & Anderson.
Stuart needs to be under pressure as does any coaching team. However his job has not been easy at the Sharks with the restricted budget we have had & the dramas since the Bird incident. I believe the inside information that if this had happened at any other club, it would have imploded by now & be dead & buried.
With a broke club, few resources, massive off field dramas, we are still yet to get a hiding this year, depsite having at one stage 6 guys in first grade with 16 games first grade games in total, between them. Why aren't we getting pasted by 40 points like Newcastle, Brisbane, Roosters & Canberra do regularly? Because we have a good coach who the players have faith in & the players are having a fair dinkum dig.
If another club gets the spoon this year, then they fair dinkum have problems.

Last edited:

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Cronulla could have kept Kimmorely, he was willing to stay on and take a further pay cut so as to not relocate. He was only looking at going to England after finishing his contract with the sharks. Fact is Cronulla could've had both Barrett and Kimmorely but it was ricky himself who didn't want to keep kimmorely any longer than he had to. He has made some mistakes in releasing some good quality players and recruiting some less talented and has been hypocritical in the process. Examples would be releasing Degois and signing Seu Seu, allowing Goodwin to sign elsewhere and releasing the sharks best player in "bad boy" Bird (and hanging him out to dry) for "clean skin" Matuia. But at least he is finally doing something with the juniors. Hopefully he will start retaining the local talent and turn back the clock ten years when Cronulla had the cheapest team running around and all but a few were local juniors. It's all good to bring in new talent but you should look at your own stockpile before recruting outside your own nest and try to retain those who show promise. But because of some of these mistakes i think some of the players have lost a bit of confidence in ricky so he has some work to do on winning the players confidence back over. However, some good decisions have been made in more recent times, the decision not to renew Hughes and Ross contracts and signing some good up and coming young talent, including Mathew Wright, Kelly and Gardner would be examples of this and will add some much needed depth in the backline. Add to this the board clean out was also a good thing for the club i believe. I know ricky accepts responsibility for some of the things gone wrong this season and hopefully he will have learnt from his mistakes and take the club in the right direction which i believe he is and will continue to do so. Now with some room to move under the cap thanks to the release of Ross, Cronulla are now after another half after making another potential mistake in not renewing Greens contract. I have heard him being bagged, but i think this kid will prove to be a very good player. Personally i would've used him as a hooker but i know he preferred to play in the halves. The reason why Green left was because he felt that ricky didn't allow him to play his "natural" game. But that's how it is, you either play the way the coach wants you to or you move on. When you looked at the sharks roster at the start of 2009 you would have thought they were top 4 material for all money especially after last seasons effort, but things happen. Successful clubs bounce back after disastrous seasons, the Bulldogs are a prime example of this, so next year will go a long way to determining whether cronulla will ever become a successful club.
Does anybody have picture of a load of bollocks I can place under this?

Local talent in the shire? FFS, there is none! Shire kids are the softest in Australia now due to the middle class guilt ridden parents spoon feeding them since birth.
Our good players come from the country. Dougy, Stapo, Fergo, Cove, Baz, etc etc
The only decent thing about the Shire competition is it gives the country kids we buy a place to play in close to the Sharks. Also gives the country kids a first hand example of what SOFT is. Dave Simmons, come on down.

Drakken

Juniors
I can guarantee you 100% that kimmorley was actively whoring himself around, big time. He wanted the 3 rd year deal. The reason Kimmorley & Sticky never saw eye to eye was because Kimmorley had settled in the area & was building his new house worth millions(of sharks money) on Gunnammata bay. He had factored on the 3rd year. Added to that the captaincy & extra marketing money the captain receives was taken away from him & handed to Paul Gallen. At the time Kimmorley signed the deal, he was ready to walk if he didn't get the three year deal & the club had Dykes signed. Then a desperate Kimmorley slashed his asking price & it was accepted on the proviso that he was committed to the Sharks. Within weeks, his manager was whoring him around. That is wy Kimorely & Sticky do not see eye to eye. Add to the fact that kimmorley has a reputation for blaming everybody else around him for failure, rather than himself. He is the most despicable person to ever wear the Sharks jumper, just in front of Bird & Anderson.
Stuart needs to be under pressure as does any coaching team. However his job has not been easy at the Sharks with the restricted budget we have had & the dramas since the Bird incident. I believe the inside information that if this had happened at any other club, it would have imploded by now & be dead & buried.
With a broke club, few resources, massive off field dramas, we are still yet to get a hiding this year, depsite having at one stage 6 guys in first grade with 16 games first grade games in total, between them. Why aren't we getting pasted by 40 points like Newcastle, Brisbane, Roosters & Canberra do regularly? Because we have a good coach who the players have faith in & the players are having a fair dinkum dig.
If another club gets the spoon this year, then they fair dinkum have problems.

So getting flogged 30-10 by the Broncos, 30-0 by the Eels and 30-10 by the Storm for the last 3 weeks is ok? Kimmorley was not "whoring" himself out at all. His manager was looking at options in England after his contract with the sharks had expired. To say that he is "the most despicable person to ever wear the sharks jumper" is a real nasty thing to say after he put his heart and soul into this club. Is it any wonder the Bulldogs are going so well with him running the show? He just didn't fit ricky's ideals as a half back running the show, that's all it was. This club has continually made the same mistakes, no excuses. I just hope that ricky and co have learn't from them and will take the club forward instead of around in a vicious circle which is how it's been for the last ten years. I think they have taken the right steps so far in doing this, but only time will tell.

Drakken

Juniors

Local talent in the shire? FFS, there is none! Shire kids are the softest in Australia now due to the middle class guilt ridden parents spoon feeding them since birth.
The only decent thing about the Shire competition is it gives the country kids we buy a place to play in close to the Sharks. Also gives the country kids a first hand example of what SOFT is. Dave Simmons, come on down. __________________

Beau Champion, Collin Best, Matt Rogers, Chase Stanley just to name a few for now. I'm sure i could think of plenty more, but the sharks do have some good local talent coming through with the likes of Jake Denford, Bukuya, Viiga and a few others as well.

Last edited:

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
So getting flogged 30-10 by the Broncos, 30-0 by the Eels and 30-10 by the Storm for the last 3 weeks is ok? Kimmorley was not "whoring" himself out at all. His manager was looking at options in England after his contract with the sharks had expired. To say that he is "the most despicable person to ever wear the sharks jumper" is a real nasty thing to say after he put his heart and soul into this club. Is it any wonder the Bulldogs are going so well with him running the show? He just didn't fit ricky's ideals as a half back running the show, that's all it was. This club has continually made the same mistakes, no excuses. I just hope that ricky and co have learn't from them and will take the club forward instead of around in a vicious circle which is how it's been for the last ten years. I think they have taken the right steps so far in doing this, but only time will tell.
Which part of "you don't know what you are talking about " is it, that you dont understand??
Kimmorleys manager was looking at all options, Australia & England & as soon as possible. I have it first hand from a club CEO & 3 current NRL coaches that he was trying to get a contract in the NRL, weeks after signing with Cronulla. They were laughing at me about it. Judging by your recent post on who the Sharks side would be next year & you included 2 players who have signed elsewhere for net year, I get the impression, you are "not quite up to speed".
If you dont believe that Cronulla juniors are soft, just go over the list of Origin & Australian players over the last 20 years & identify how this "powerhouse" nursery has supplied quality players to the game? I would be very interested in your findings. Or perhaps, I may already know the results.
Shire rugby league is soft & skil less compared to competitions like QLD cup, Norther Rivers Rugby league, & the western Sydney areas.
Like I said, the middle glass guilt ridden parents of the Shire have raised a generation of spoon fed jelly bellied telephone sanitisers

blacktip-reefy

Immortal

The only decent thing about the Shire competition is it gives the country kids we buy a place to play in close to the Sharks. Also gives the country kids a first hand example of what SOFT is. Dave Simmons, come on down. __________________

Beau Champion, Collin Best, Matt Rogers, Chase Stanley just to name a few for now. I'm sure i could think of plenty more, but the sharks do have some good local talent coming through with the likes of Jake Denford, Bukuya, Viiga and a few others as well.

Mat Rogers played QLD rugby league & Union for TSS. Beau champion is average & does not come from the area. JAson Bakuya is from Fiji via Aspley QLD . Chase Stanley is a St George Junior despite going to endeavour. Johnny Viiga is from the Blacktown juniors competition. Jake Denford will be the first Engadine Dragons supplied player to the NRL in the last 15 years. Even then, The dragons would have been lucky to supply no more than 15 players to the Sharks in 40 years & that is when the local comp WAS tough.

So out of your list, you have 1. Colin Best. What a "powerhouse" nursery the Shire is!!
Like I said, all it is is a place for a our good country kids to play until they are up to speed for Cronulla

Latest posts