What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion Team Names

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’m surprised none of the old clubs picked black and white given it would have been cheaper for cotton jerseys back in the day?
A WA NRL team won’t use the same colours as the rep sides. I’d be quite happy with a scarlet red and gold home kit and a black and gold away kit.

1AFC36D4-18B8-4FE9-9806-CBACB6BEF593.jpeg

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
The pirates doesn't feel like a Western Australian team, all i can think of is another bland "tennesee titan" or NFLs Tampa bay Bucceneers, (which i like for the older emblem they have) but not the West Coast pirates logo. Its way too new, needs to start off looking like hunter mariners logo or canberra raiders or even los Angeles/oakland raiders iconic logo, before that shiny skull and swords logo they currently have,
Which is why rugby league needs a Perth team that can pull off a better brand than "Perth Western Reds" which was not only very unique, but is etched into memories, League had always gone for the strong logo, the Australian team is the "kangaroos", you'd think union would have got that instead of a wallaby.
Who names a team after a rabbit, a rooster, a ram, a red... we should be looking at the iconing black swan of WA, it's fairly strong in terms of reflection of the state, aswell as a bit of an expansion FU to AFL, with the major colors of Gold, Black, and Red, heritage strip of the old 1995 reds jersey, like the pirates did recently

I thnk I'm confused about your arguement... Are you saying that the selection of a Rooster/Rabbit/Ram/Roo (Red) is silly? but the use of a swan is not?

The Rabbit name has a long and proud history, and has many versions of why they have the name 'Rabbitohs' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Sydney_Rabbitohs).

The Rooster was a popular moniker in the doy because the symbolism of a rooster was of pride. French national teams have used the moniker for a long time (le coq).

As for a Red Roo, I believe this is iconic and symbolic of the red earth of WA and is a nationally recognised animal. Red kangaroos are also by far larger and more aggressive that their grey counterparts.

Whilst some of these choices may not be as popular in the modern age, their names have significant symbolism and history. These days logos are less about the symbolism and more about the marketability of the brand.

I'm not saying your opinion of a swan is wrong/bad, just that your arguement seemed contradictory.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I disagree with trying to start with an old/traditional looking logo in today's commercial market. It's almost like you're trying to establish a false sense of histroy but using an old logo. If you're going to have a new, start-up club it needs to be commercially competitive as well a physically. I just don't see people getting on board with an old logo...

Maybe release it on a Retro Round jersey or something like that but not as their main logo.

MugaB

Coach
I thnk I'm confused about your arguement... Are you saying that the selection of a Rooster/Rabbit/Ram/Roo (Red) is silly? but the use of a swan is not?

The Rabbit name has a long and proud history, and has many versions of why they have the name 'Rabbitohs' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Sydney_Rabbitohs).

The Rooster was a popular moniker in the doy because the symbolism of a rooster was of pride. French national teams have used the moniker for a long time (le coq).

As for a Red Roo, I believe this is iconic and symbolic of the red earth of WA and is a nationally recognised animal. Red kangaroos are also by far larger and more aggressive that their grey counterparts.

Whilst some of these choices may not be as popular in the modern age, their names have significant symbolism and history. These days logos are less about the symbolism and more about the marketability of the brand.

I'm not saying your opinion of a swan is wrong/bad, just that your arguement seemed contradictory.
I dont think you get what i meant, i dont think that they are silly at all. I applaud them.
I was saying we are as rugby league community are proud of our teams like roosters, rabbits, reds, rams,
There isn't many codes that will name their team after a rabbit or a rooster, i like that we do.
I quite like that we go the whole way, that we choose a strong relevant mascot to represent the clubs and not go the boring american style mascots.
Im a fan of the logos of the 80s-90s they were very iconic to league, especially growing up then

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
I dont think you get what i meant, i dont think that they are silly at all. I applaud them.
I was saying we are as rugby league community are proud of our teams like roosters, rabbits, reds, rams,
There isn't many codes that will name their team after a rabbit or a rooster, i like that we do.
I quite like that we go the whole way, that we choose a strong relevant mascot to represent the clubs and not go the boring american style mascots.
Im a fan of the logos of the 80s-90s they were very iconic to league, especially growing up then

It's pretty funny that you think that when the Roosters picked their mascot and many of their jersey designs in homage of the French, whose national teams in a bunch of sports have had a rooster as their logo for a hundred or more years now.

BTW, the Rabbitohs aren't named after rabbits, they are named after rabbitohs, which is a colloquial term for poor people that would trap rabbits and sell the meat to make a living.
Also Rams is a pretty common name for sports teams around the world as well, Los Angeles Rams being the most famous example.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Are you talking logos or names? Every new NRL club in the last 50 years has gone with an American style name. Broncos. Raiders, Sharks, Panthers, Titans, Warriors, Rams, Mariners, Cowboys etc. Short of picking something uniquely Australian there is likely already an American team named it. Only Crushers in last 50 years is a non American big team name

MugaB

Coach
Are you talking logos or names? Every new NRL club in the last 50 years has gone with an American style name. Broncos. Raiders, Sharks, Panthers, Titans, Warriors, Rams, Mariners, Cowboys etc. Short of picking something uniquely Australian there is likely already an American team named it. Only Crushers in last 50 years is a non American big team name
Both, and which american teams are the sharks? Im pretty sure in 1967 panthers and sharks weren't an Americanized mascot as much as the raiders of 82 or broncos were in 88.
Doesn't matter tho, my thoughts were regarding our choice of recent mascots
stepping away from what you mentioned uniquely Local, and not just a Tennessee Titan with a "T"

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Yeah, All good. I just wanted to clarify because it didn't come across that way initially. I understand your thought process now.

The old school logos are unique, but from a marketing perspective they don't help with the bottom line in the modern game. You'll notice a lot of the older teams have updated their logos or made some form of stylised change to bring their old logo into the modern era. These clubs have not done away with the old logo all together though and some even reference it on their jerseys still (roosters & tigers come to mind).

I think it would be hard to do for a new team though, to establish themselves with an older-style logo. Unfortunately they must cater to the masses rather than a nostalgic few.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Both, and which american teams are the sharks? Im pretty sure in 1967 panthers and sharks weren't an Americanized mascot as much as the raiders of 82 or broncos were in 88.
Doesn't matter tho, my thoughts were regarding our choice of recent mascots
stepping away from what you mentioned uniquely Local, and not just a Tennessee Titan with a "T"
San Jose Sharks (NHL)
Carolina Panthers (NFL)

MugaB

Coach
San Jose Sharks (NHL)
Carolina Panthers (NFL)
Cronulla sharks 1967, Penrith Panthers 1967,
San jose sharks 1991,
carolina panthers 1995.
We are just going in circles,
The steelers and raiders were the first noted cases of rugby league viewing NFL and saying yes we like that, Steelers name was a contest winner who liked the Pittsburgh steelers, not sure about raiders but im sure there's a history lesson relating to the famous oakland/LA raiders, or the canberra cockatoos, or maybe not
But 1982 is when both teams entered.
I don't give too shites about marketability, im just wanting to see older style logos, i dont care why they are changing, so stop droning on about marketability,
I wasn't even arguing or making a point, all i said was i preferred the older logos to the shiny new WC pirates or Titans garbage, cant tell me the newer sydney roosters logo is better than the eastern suburbs logo
20180926_055123.jpg nrl611bk.jpg
Or that Wests Tigers logo is better than the Balmain tigers logo
20180926_055026.jpg nrl611bn.jpg

Last edited:

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I wasn't even arguing or making a point, all i said was i preferred the older logos to the shiny new WC pirates or Titans garbage, cant tell me the newer sydney roosters logo is better than the eastern suburbs logo
View attachment 35547 View attachment 35546
Or that Wests Tigers logo is better than the Balmain tigers logo
View attachment 35551 View attachment 35552
Relax, guy... I'm not trying to fight you on logos or anything like that and I'm not saying that your preference is invalid. You're entitled to your opinon, just like I'm entitled to mine. It's a forum FFS.

To be honest, I actually like the modernisation of the logos, jerseys, etc. Technology has helped with that as has business. The NRL is a business so any new team is going to have to be appealing to a wide audience. I know you don't like me harping on about it but a club has to be a marketable product... It needs to be more than just a sports club to earn the big dollars... It attracts better sponsorship.

Anyway, this conversation has gone a bit off topic. I do like some of your ideas and concepts that you have put forward. Look forward to seeing more.

MugaB

Coach
Relax, guy... I'm not trying to fight you on logos or anything like that and I'm not saying that your preference is invalid. You're entitled to your opinon, just like I'm entitled to mine. It's a forum FFS.

To be honest, I actually like the modernisation of the logos, jerseys, etc. Technology has helped with that as has business. The NRL is a business so any new team is going to have to be appealing to a wide audience. I know you don't like me harping on about it but a club has to be a marketable product... It needs to be more than just a sports club to earn the big dollars... It attracts better sponsorship.

Anyway, this conversation has gone a bit off topic. I do like some of your ideas and concepts that you have put forward. Look forward to seeing more.
All good, just was taken back from a comment i made over a month ago regarding roosters/rabbits/reds....
Then repetitions of why " I didn't like them as a mascot" then "weve been thru 50 years of mimicing U.S. mascots" is somehow what clubs have done for that long, and then WHY clubs have adopted new brandings even though the older logos/emblems were my preference,
And then that marketability is key!
Its all good, but i never had an argument, i moreso vented that i preferred the older brandings over the current ones. I'll make sure i explain myself clearer in future, so as to not start any arguements, or give folks the wrong impression.
Please continue with expansion team names thread as ya'll wish.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Not one of my best but a concept. I'm not wedded to the colour scheme but I was trying not to use blue in this concept. Thought of Destroyers for Adelaide due to it's history of building ships. Could also make it Port Adelaide if you wanted to be specific but Adelaide itself has a uniting title. Also tried to avoid using the stereotypical SA colour scheme.

Attachments

• Adelaide Destroyers.png
    Adelaide Destroyers.png
    308.3 KB · Views: 3