What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion Team Names

RunRabbitRun69

Juniors
If anything the turn out of Tongan fans for their national side maybe shows that a Tongan related club side based in Auckland could be a future option for nz3 after we get a club in Wellington or South Island. You’d want to be confident it wouldn’t cannabilise the warriors fan base though.
A second purely New Zealand team would cannibalise the Warriors fan base.

A Pacific Islands team would draw a new fan base and allow for an NRL game in Auckland each week, which would help grow the sport's popularity.

Both Tonga and Fiji performed brilliantly in the last World Cup and both had tremendous support from their fans.

With some success to inspire their fans, the Samoan crowd would come out just as strong.

Give them a NSW Cup team as a feeder side that plays home games in Fiji, Samoa and Tonga and the connection to those fans would get even stronger.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Just a hypothetical but if the sharks were to collapse, what about moving them to Hobart and establishing the first ever professional football outfit on the island? Tas, much like NT gets neglected for sports teams, bar the token game taken there. Could still use a shark moniker and be the Hobart Hammerheads.

Alternatively move them to Adelaide and call them the Adelaide Bite.

RunRabbitRun69

Juniors
Just a hypothetical but if the sharks were to collapse, what about moving them to Hobart and establishing the first ever professional football outfit on the island? Tas, much like NT gets neglected for sports teams, bar the token game taken there. Could still use a shark moniker and be the Hobart Hammerheads.

The Sharks aren't going to collapse.

Also, there's a reason there are no football teams in Tasmania.

Small population and limited corporate support available

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
The Sharks aren't going to collapse.

Also, there's a reason there are no football teams in Tasmania.

Small population and limited corporate support available
Gee, thanks Major Buzzkill!

I understand that they have a small population but that’s why this whole thread is created to be hypothetical. It doesn’t have to be real life situations or anything like that. No need to be negative, thanks for your input though.

RunRabbitRun69

Juniors
Gee, thanks Major Buzzkill!

I understand that they have a small population but that’s why this whole thread is created to be hypothetical. It doesn’t have to be real life situations or anything like that. No need to be negative, thanks for your input though.
So you didn't really want to have a conversation, you just wanted people to agree with you?

Is a discussion forum really the place to post something you don't want to discuss?

Didn't mean to upset you mate. Just giving my opinion

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
So you didn't really want to have a conversation, you just wanted people to agree with you?

Is a discussion forum really the place to post something you don't want to discuss?

Didn't mean to upset you mate. Just giving my opinion
Hahahaha not at all like that, mate. I was being sarcastic about the Buzzkill bit. Doesn’t come out well in written form.

I’m not offended and welcome open discussion about ideas. All good, dude.

parrawentyfan

Juniors

Isn't Adelaide bite the name for the baseball team in the ABL? Or the ice hockey team in AIHL? One of the minor sports?

I like the idea of simply having "insert-team-name United" etc. Ie no need for an animal mascot etc. However understand for merchandising and branding - especially if a team is established in a "non-Rugby League city" - it's important to have.

Like some of the ideas on here.

My two-cents.. IF teams were established in the places below (whether they should or not is another discussion)

For Perth & Adelaide - I'd want them to re-establish the Reds & Rams.
Brisbane Bulls
Central Coast Bears
Wellington Boots
Pacific Islanders
Darwin Crocodiles
Rockhampton Archers
Mackay Pioneers

Names for Rocky & Mackay are based on history & local identity (Rocky founded by the "Archer" brothers and Mackay on the Pioneer river/Pioneer valley etc). Even if not these - I'd suggest something that the community can identify with would be best.

Bulls for Brisbane - with the existing Broncos. Marketers dream..
Bears for the CC - like tying in Nth Sydney history here (even through it would be an inheritance of sorts)
Boots - why not.
Crocs - pretty obvious one
Islanders - for the Pacific Islands combined side - could they possibly be called anything else?

MugaB

Coach
some real terrible ideas
Not really i like the bulls idea, aswell as crocs and bears
I especially love the "islanders" i mentioned this some weeks ago
Its a vague name that can incorporate many island countries from the Pacific that need a pathway into the NRL, that alone wouldn't be able to compete separately

Perth Red

Post Whore
Western Reds brand wont be back, unless Laurie Puddy puts up millions for the expansion spot, hes quite old school and would probably bring it back for nostalgia.

Western Reds brand wont be back, unless Laurie Puddy puts up millions for the expansion spot, hes quite old school and would probably bring it back for nostalgia.

I like the idea of the Reds reborn, if Perth ever gets a team back.

Of course you like the pirates... But how about the West Coast Coolers??

Perth Red

Post Whore
Excuse my ignorance but whats a cooler?

I prefer Reds and was gutted when they moved away from it but I can see the massive appeal and fun you can have with a brand like Pirates, and it would be unique in Australia.

MugaB

Coach
Excuse my ignorance but whats a cooler?

I prefer Reds and was gutted when they moved away from it but I can see the massive appeal and fun you can have with a brand like Pirates, and it would be unique in Australia.

West Coast Coolers, sponsored by Strongbow

A west coast cooler is a alcoholic beverage similar to strongbow
Its a wine cooler, fizzy cider

MugaB

Coach
New Teams (2 added every 5-10 years)
In the order of necessity

*East Coast Dolphins (redcliffe/suncorp)
*West Coast Pirates (perth)
*SouthBrisbaneBulls(logan/ipswich/suncorp)
*Gosford Browns (bears)
*South Pacific Islanders (auckland/fiji/tonga)
*Adelaide Angels
*Tasman Demons
*Melbourne Royals (lions)

Rebrands
*Auckland Warriors (revert)
*Sydney Bulldogs (revert) (ANZ)
*South Queensland Titans (GC/QLD country)
*GreatWesternPanthers(penrith/NSWcountry)
*South Island Sea Eagles (christchurch)
*Illawarra Dragons (illawarra/kogarah)
*North Sydney Roosters (Allianz/NSO)
*West Sydney Tigers (WSS/campbelltown)
*East Sydney Sharks

*North Queensland Cowboys, *Melbourne Storm, *Canberra Raiders, *Newcastle Knights, *Parramatta Eels, *South Sydney Rabbitohs all remain unchanged

and only one relocation being manly to sth NZ giving time for roosters to expand their catchment north of sydney, then add a Gosford based team 5 years after so that pathways are set and definitive, making bulldogs the center of sydney rather than the roosters (which geographicaly it is right now).

Last few new teams are pipe dreams, but also any relocations can suit all 4 areas of mel2, tas, adel, nz3

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
A west coast cooler is a alcoholic beverage similar to strongbow
Its a wine cooler, fizzy cider
They are nothing alike. Strongbow, like all ciders, is made with apples. Wine coolers are wine mixed with fizzy soft drink.

Travitoh

First Grade
I've heard Adelaide Angels brought up before which i like the idea of.
It's been 20 years since the Rams and the general public perception is that they were a failed venture.
I feel planned relocation would be a better option for us though, with a new rectangular stadium in the city shared with Adelaide United.

Latest posts