What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expected crowds for the tournament

deal.with.it

Juniors
Just seen that.
Lower tiers hold 41,500 people
Factoring a few thousand sold for top tier, should be well above 40k sold so far.
Lets hope they can move a stack of the top tier tickets to casual sports fans in the lead up.
I'd imagine they could easily sell 10k+ in the week leading up to the opening ceremony, as there should be plenty of buzz around Cardiff.
My guess - 60k for the OC

deal.with.it

Juniors
Also, over 40k sold for wembley.
Thats out of a possible 60k that have been made available so far.
The Final is almost sold out too.
This is despite fans not knowing who will be in the semis or final.
Really good work from the organisers.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Once Cardiff and Wembley get over a certain threshold one would hope the "rugby union" effect will kick in, meaning people will go just because other people are going.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Previous World Cups

1954: France: Attendance 138,329 (19,761 per match, 7 matches)
1957: Australia: Attendance 214,918 (35,820 per match, 6 matches)
1960: UK: Attendance 110,200 (18,367 per match, 6 matches)
1968: Aus & NZ: Attendance 220,683 (31,526 per match, 7 matches)
1970: UK: Attendance 68,710 (9,816 per match, 7 matches)
1972: France: Attendance 62,456 (8,922 per match, 7 matches)
1975: Worldwide: Attendance 204,476 (9,737 per match, 21 matches)
1977: Aus & NZ: Attendance 109,688 (15,670 per match, 7 matches)
1985-1988: Worldwide: Attendance 218,246 (12,125 per match, 18 matches)
1989-1992: Worldwide: Attendance 300,059 (14,289 per match, 21 matches)
1995: UK: Attendance 265,609 (17,707 per match, 15 matches)
2000: UK & France: Attendance 263,921 (8,514 per match, 31 matches)
2008: Australia: Attendance 293,965 (16,331 per match, 18 matches)
2013: UK, Ireland: Attendance x (y per match, 28 matches)

With maybe 150k tickets already accounted for in 5 matches, we would only need an average of 6.5k odd at the others to break the aggregate record. Beating 2008's average will be a hard task (456k), requiring an average of 13.5k odd at the other 23 games, but it is not out of the question, it makes a good target and would smash all previous aggregates.*

* Equating to about 1/4 to 1/5 of a "modern" rugby union world cup.

jim_57

Staff member
I would be hoping for sell outs for all games England, Wales & France play at home except the Wembley and Cardiff games.

Reasonable expectations for me would be:

Cardiff DH - 50k+ - Hopefully over 60k and closer to a sell out with 40k tickets already sold, anything over 50k would be acceptable though considering the '08 WC only got that figure once and only just for the Final.

England V Ireland - Huddersfield - 25k SO -Should be an easy enough sell and looks to be selling really well already.

France V NZ - Avignon - 17k (?) SO - A marque fixture for France, already very close to a sell out.

Wales V USA - Wrexham - Not entierly sure on Capacity here but should go close to a sell-out. Maybe a bit dependant on how well Wales goes in the opener.

England V Fiji - Hull - 25k SO - With the potential Fiji lineup this should have no trouble selling out IMO and I expect it to be one of the games of the Pool stages.

Wales V Cook Islands - Neath - 10k (?) SO - The only game in South Wales besides the Opener, already looks to be headed for a sell out from reports. Could also be for a spot in the finals.

France V Samoa - Perpignan - 12k SO - The positioning of the finals will no doubt depend on this game, the loser may miss the finals depending on other results.

QF Wrexham - ?? SO - Unless Wales don't make it then who knows, odds on to be Wales V Australia you'd think. Could also feature England if they manage to top group A which would ensure a sell out.

QF Wigan - 25k SO - Likely to be the English Quarter, if England come 1st or 3rd in Pool A this most likely wouldnt be a sell out unless it sells out before the Quarters are known which is unlikely but not impossible.

Semis - Wembley - 60k+ - Like the opener you would be hopeing for 60k+ with around 40k reportedly sold already, maybe even 70k. May depend on how much momentum England manage to build up to this point. God forbid they are knocked out in the Quarters.

Final - Old Trafford - 75k SO - From all reports already selling very well, Hopefully sold out before the tournament even begins. The Crowd would probably be affected if England fail to make it but should surely still top 65-70k.

Other venues such as Rochedale & Workington (2games) are also selling very well.

jim_57

Staff member
The Wrexham matches are a worry.
Have heard barely a whisper out of there.

The Quarter atleast should sell itself unless Wales miss out. I'd expect a lot of people will holf off the Quarters until it's known who is playing where.

I'm more worried about some "heartland" fixtures that we haven't heard anything about such as Halifax, Hull (Craven Park), St Helens etc. Ones that are selling well tend to saying it aloud. It has been announced Neath, Workington, Rochedale, Avignon etc. are selling well, nothing much has come out about some other games.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I'm more worried about some "heartland" fixtures that we haven't heard anything about such as Halifax, Hull (Craven Park), St Helens etc. Ones that are selling well tend to saying it aloud. It has been announced Neath, Workington, Rochedale, Avignon etc. are selling well, nothing much has come out about some other games.
Halifax and Craven Park are going fine. I expect at least one of the Craven Park games to sell out, possibly both of them, and Halifax should also pull a decent crowd given its central location. The capacity of Neath is only around 5k, so there's something wrong if that doesn't sell out, and from all reports it more or less has.

St Helens seems to be pretty poor ATM, as do Warrington, Salford and the England vs Fiji match at Hull. Hopefully these matches will see sales pick up once the SL season is over and also benefit from strong walk-up sales. I still can't understand why they didn't schedule the St Helens match on the Friday night instead of clashing with England vs Ireland.

Springs

First Grade
Halifax and Craven Park are going fine. I expect at least one of the Craven Park games to sell out, possibly both of them, and Halifax should also pull a decent crowd given its central location. The capacity of Neath is only around 5k, so there's something wrong if that doesn't sell out, and from all reports it more or less has.

St Helens seems to be pretty poor ATM, as do Warrington, Salford and the England vs Fiji match at Hull. Hopefully these matches will see sales pick up once the SL season is over and also benefit from strong walk-up sales. I still can't understand why they didn't schedule the St Helens match on the Friday night instead of clashing with England vs Ireland.

Neither. I was planning to go to both Aus v Fiji and England vs Ireland until I found they were on the same day.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Neither. I was planning to go to both Aus v Fiji and England vs Ireland until I found they were on the same day.
It is possible, you should definitely be able to get from Huddersfield to St Helens with plenty of time to spare and I imagine quite a few die-hards will be doing that, but it will surely affect the walk-up gate for the St Helens match and just doesn't make sense given that the only match on the Friday night is in France.

deluded pom?

Coach
I've just tried booking tickets for the final in the blue areas either side of the North stand but they are telling me that there aren't two seats together.

Springs

First Grade
It is possible, you should definitely be able to get from Huddersfield to St Helens with plenty of time to spare and I imagine quite a few die-hards will be doing that, but it will surely affect the walk-up gate for the St Helens match and just doesn't make sense given that the only match on the Friday night is in France.

I might try that and buy a ticket at the gate.

Springs

First Grade
By the way any news regarding tickets being posted? The tournament is a month away and I've only received 3 of 8 tickets.

Latest posts