What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

f**k Off Extra Time

Do you like having extra time in the NRL?

• Total voters

NK Arsenal

Juniors
I reckon we should scrap extra time.
There is no need for it. Both teams put in for 80mins, and therefore it should be a draw.
Your thoughts?

taxidriver

Coach
agreed.

if it must be kept, change the system to 3 for a win in normal time, 2 for an extra time win and one for an extra time loss

Johns Magic

Referee
taxidriver said:
agreed.

if it must be kept, change the system to 3 for a win in normal time, 2 for an extra time win and one for an extra time loss

What about a draw after extra-time?

Danish

Referee
Playing for a "bonus" point would be a good idea.

i.e each team gets 1 point at the end of 80 mins. The team that wins in golden point gets the full 2.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Keep golden point. Although the Eels lost on Saturday night i think it puts the icing on the cake for a great game eg Warriors/Roosters.

I never went to draw when anyone was overly happy with the result from both supporters so id prefer a winner.

bradeel

Juniors
100% agree it should be scrapped. Its complete bulldust designed to give maximum bang for buck and excitement levels by a marketing overhyped administration. There is no shame in 2 sides slogging it out for 80 minutes and being unseparated on the scoreboard if that is the outcome. Leave the draw alone as a proper outcome.

I understand the need for it in a Finals type situation when a re-match is logistically inappropriate but a draw is fair enough. And i am not just saying this because of the Sharks game on the weekend - Parra are 1-1 in Extra Time games in 2007 so it would make no difference to our position on the ladder were there no Golden Point ruling. I just reckon its lame and its a lottery end to the contest.

fourplay

Juniors
I seriously dont understand some of you people...

how can you NOT like golden point ??? WTF

ok so i understand how your brain works... which do you find more exciting ?

the period of extra time when every single run, every tackle, every inch made can make or break the game, a field goal hanging in the air to clinch the game, the pressure and the intensity where EVERYONE is up and out of their seats.

or

the blank period where everyone is walking home with a boring draw where no one is a winner..

think of all the great games this year, they have all been golden point, the great origins people talk about that went to golden point, and most of the great past games. How about the casual fan ? You think they would enjoy watching a dull draw ? my sister who is not even a football or sports fan couldnt help but stay glued to the TV for the roosters/warriors golden point period.

eels_fan_01

Bench
I like the fact that its golden point and not extra time, golden point makes the game more tense and brings out so much emotion for fans and players alike when they score.

I love the excitement of golden point and i think it gets rid of people who used to say after every draw "if it was played longer we would have won."

dice

Juniors
I like Golden Point but am getting sick of teams trying to milk penalties and refs being to afraid to award penalties.

All penalties in extra time should be differential.

Raider_69

Post Whore
canberra are 5/5 in GP, so naturally im a big fan
but outside that im neither here nor there on it, i saw nothing really wrong with an old fashioned Draw but GP adds something different

Iafeta

Referee
It's the biggest load of bollocks in the NRL. Golden point is a bigger farce than the judiciary, video refs and referees combined. In 25 rounds of regular round robin football, a draw is a draw. Then in finals football, it should be 10 minutes each way unlimited. IE if one team scores, the other team has a chance to fight back. I'm dead set sick and tired of watching an after hours drop goal shoot out.

Your whole season can be ditched off the back of a chronically bad refereeing decision, moreso than even in 80 minutes of regular football. Take the Warriors-Roosters game, did anyone think either team deserved to lose? Hell no. In extra time, the touch judge missed a blatant strip for a penalty shot, and Shayne Hayne missed two rucks in a row dead in front of the Chooks sticks where they were offside. But TBPH, the right result stood. The draw. A couple of years ago, the Raiders got through to the finals on golden point, we missed out as a result. Teams are primed to play 80 minutes of footy, that's hard enough slog as it is. The average fan should be farkin grateful with that. As that season with the Raiders showed, it is nothing more than an artificial points distributor. It's an anamoly on the final points standing. And it's a downright travesty to put the game in a clutch situation where our referees are simply not up to that pressure. At least over 80 minutes they can even out (sometimes) the rough calls, in golden point all it takes is one and that's it, your season is ruined.

In summing up, it's the biggest load of sh!t ever implemented in rugby league. It's a crock, and quite frankly I'm sick to death of it.

fourplay

Juniors
^^^

People would not even be talking about the roosters/warriors game if it didn't go to golden point, we would of already forgotten about it.

eels_fan_01 said:
I like the fact that its golden point and not extra time, golden point makes the game more tense and brings out so much emotion for fans and players alike when they score.

Exactly... even Wayne Bennett can't help but jump up and down during a golden point win, such is the intensity and excitement of it and the feeling of jubilation and triumph that comes with a golden point victory.

Look at the Sharks fans in the crowd after the field goal on Sat night vs the eels, do you really want to take that away from the game ? and replace it with a boring draw ?

eels_fan_01

Bench
Iafeta said:
It's the biggest load of bollocks in the NRL. Golden point is a bigger farce than the judiciary, video refs and referees combined. In 25 rounds of regular round robin football, a draw is a draw. Then in finals football, it should be 10 minutes each way unlimited. IE if one team scores, the other team has a chance to fight back. I'm dead set sick and tired of watching an after hours drop goal shoot out.

Your whole season can be ditched off the back of a chronically bad refereeing decision, moreso than even in 80 minutes of regular football. Take the Warriors-Roosters game, did anyone think either team deserved to lose? Hell no. In extra time, the touch judge missed a blatant strip for a penalty shot, and Shayne Hayne missed two rucks in a row dead in front of the Chooks sticks where they were offside. But TBPH, the right result stood. The draw. A couple of years ago, the Raiders got through to the finals on golden point, we missed out as a result. Teams are primed to play 80 minutes of footy, that's hard enough slog as it is. The average fan should be farkin grateful with that. As that season with the Raiders showed, it is nothing more than an artificial points distributor. It's an anamoly on the final points standing. And it's a downright travesty to put the game in a clutch situation where our referees are simply not up to that pressure. At least over 80 minutes they can even out (sometimes) the rough calls, in golden point all it takes is one and that's it, your season is ruined.

In summing up, it's the biggest load of sh!t ever implemented in rugby league. It's a crock, and quite frankly I'm sick to death of it.

You say a ref can decide golden point but there is no different if its 20 all with 2 mins to go and he awards a try that was a knock on etc so theres no different.

The final 5 mins of a 20 all match is a field goal shoot out aswell, so your points why dont like it happen in every game.