What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFS! Quade Cooper in secret talks with Parramatta Eels

boxhead

First Grade
David Gallop is ready to help
steal Quade Cooper

Brent Read and Bret Harris
The Australian
August 16, 2010

"It would be great to see him playing rugby league, but there's too many precedents, particularly where players have threatened to go to rugby union, for us to go round playing with the salary cap now," Gallop said.

"Like any player we can look for roles with our sponsors, but we're not about to start assisting clubs outside the salary cap with chasing rugby union players.

"If he seriously wants to look at rugby league, we would do what we could.

"We certainly wouldn't be breaking any salary cap rules.

"We wouldn't be making an exception for him over other players. I'm happy to have a chat with his agent if he is genuine." Colreavy was encouraged by Gallop's position.

"I'll meet with David Gallop tomorrow," Colreavy said. "We are in negotiations with a rugby league club and I'll contact David Gallop if that is his stance."

Although the NRL has made it clear it will not directly pay players, it has been willing in the past to talk to its sponsors on their behalf.

Gallop has previously been involved in negotiations involving former Newcastle captain Andrew Johns, St George Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier and Brisbane centre Israel Folau.

It failed to stop Gasnier and Folau leaving the game, although Gasnier returned to the NRL this year after a stint with French rugby union club Stade Francais.

Link: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...eal-quade-cooper/story-e6frg7mf-1225905631453

In my opinion that's enough for me, considering David Gallop is usually very 'thin' with his statements. What he is saying is essentially we'll try to help you pull off the Greg Inglis deal :sarcasm:

Stagger eel

Staff member
many things have been said to me on the quiet in the last 3 or so months but I can tell you there hasn't been as much smoke coming out of any of them as it has with this situation...

ParraAds

Juniors
LOL...

I can't believe how naive people are being. Quade Cooper has his own interests at heart here, and the only way the ARU will take the situation seriously is if he threatens them with a move to the NRL. And you can guarentee that if it comes down to dollars (which it will) then he will not make the switch, not with the 2011 World Cup so close.

It was one thing to be rejected by Barrett, Kimmorley, Cronk etc.... but we're now being used as leverage.... what an embarrassment.

Gronk

Staff member
I mentioned this before. The reason why QC is contemplating the Eels is because we can offer him guaranteed $500k plus a possibility of rep money and maybe even some extra 3rd party deals.

At the ARU, he gets a base of $350k and needs to be selected in each and every Wallaby side to earn a decent dollar. So if he gets injured, suspended or simply is not selected, then he loses. Whilst it's probably a model that we should adopt, it may work to our advantage.

Stagger eel

Staff member
LOL...

I can't believe how naive people are being. Quade Cooper has his own interests at heart here, and the only way the ARU will take the situation seriously is if he threatens them with a move to the NRL. And you can guarentee that if it comes down to dollars (which it will) then he will not make the switch, not with the 2011 World Cup so close.

It was one thing to be rejected by Barrett, Kimmorley, Cronk etc.... but we're now being used as leverage.... what an embarrassment.

I don't believe we are used as leverage nor do I think I'm naive...I think he's genuinely interested to explore the option and I believe he's doing that.

Gronk

Staff member
I don't believe we are used as leverage nor do I think I'm naive...I think he's genuinely interested to explore the option and I believe he's doing that.

The quote (somewhere on these pages) that he almost signed for Storm in 2007 must give it some credibility ? Granted he was a fringe s14 player then, but it at least shows that he respects the (mungo) code.

TheRam

Coach
many things have been said to me on the quiet in the last 3 or so months but I can tell you there hasn't been as much smoke coming out of any of them as it has with this situation...

Oh Staggs, why'd you have to go and say that for?

Now all our expectations have gone up quite substantially and on high alert. The massive let down and disappointment we will all have, if the more probable happens and he stays put, will be so so much harder to take. :(

DeanPay98

Juniors
I'm not sure you could call Garrick Morgan a Wallaby star. He was a powder-puff in league and wasn't much better in union when he returned. I don't think he played for the Wallabies after 1996 when we were short on forwards.

But signing Quade would be an achievement.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Oh Staggs, why'd you have to go and say that for?

Now all our expectations have gone up quite substantially and on high alert. The massive let down and disappointment we will all have, if the more probable happens and he stays put, will be so so much harder to take. :(

I'm only calling it as I see it and despite everything that has happened in the past I'm certainly not sprouting "done deal" not by a long stretch..

TheRam

Coach
I'm only calling it as I see it and despite everything that has happened in the past I'm certainly not sprouting "done deal" not by a long stretch..

I know, I know, but still, expectations are a killer. This team could be anything if we just had a genuine champion half and this seems like such a tease that will only leave us all with a massive case of blue balls once again in the end.

I mean can't Parra find just one, just one bona fide real down and dirty sl*t out their that will just take our freakin money?!!!

parra pete

Referee
It is great the negotiations in a 'secret meeting' are being played out in the media. Does anyone else see the irony in that, and how amateurish the administration of the Board has become since the election of 3P....Hands up all those who think the Club is better off with Osborne and go and their petty agendas in place....
Haven't seen Sangreal on here for a while..Maybe he can provide some insights into the 'inner sanctum' working of the Club. How about it Sevens?

Avenger

Immortal
I know f**k all about Union but by watching the videos on youtube he is first receiver meaning that he will be our halfback if we get him not 5/8th.

Avenger

Immortal
...and another thing, he is the best we have looked at so far. From what I can see he has everything.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I know, I know, but still, expectations are a killer. This team could be anything if we just had a genuine champion half and this seems like such a tease that will only leave us all with a massive case of blue balls once again in the end.

I mean can't Parra find just one, just one bona fide real down and dirty sl*t out their that will just take our freakin money?!!!

at the end of the day, the fact is we have a million to spend, infact it may even be just over a million...what ever happens dude, we need to spend it on something..or else we'd be breaking cap rules as we can't be under a certain amount going into next year.

whether we spend it on Quade, BK, Orford, Tuaki, Barrett, Masan, Ferguson, Millington, john Mannah, Riddell or any other of the 100 players of fg experiance still off contract, we have to spend it..

Parraren

Bench
...and another thing, he is the best we have looked at so far. From what I can see he has everything.

It's funny.

I knew almost nothing about QC until a couple of days ago.

Watched some footage on yuotube and geez, he's a freaking talent isn't he :shock:

Avenger

Immortal
It's funny.

I knew almost nothing about QC until a couple of days ago.

Watched some footage on youtube and geez, he's a freaking talent isn't he :shock:

He makes Cooper Cronk look like Jeff Robson. His passing and kicking game are extraordinary. What about the step!!!!!

Also as strong as an ox.

Parra Guru

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-record-850000-for-cooper-20100815-125b8.html

Eels to offer record $850,000 for Cooper

PARRAMATTA are prepared to make Quade Cooper the highest-paid player in the NRL with a deal worth twice as much as the one tabled by the Australian Rugby Union to keep the Wallabies star.
Having missed out on Melbourne halfback Cooper Cronk after the Storm released Greg Inglis to Brisbane last week, the Eels are willing to offer the same $850,000 deal to Cooper if he decides to switch codes next season.
Not only would the Parramatta deal make Cooper the highest-paid player in the NRL, it would also dwarf the $400,000 offer put forward by the ARU. Cooper, considered Australia's best player and recently named the Super 14 player of the year, is thought to be insulted by the ARU's offer of a $100,000 pay rise to help the Wallabies try to win the World Cup next season.

Without Cooper leading the attack, few believe Australia have a realistic chance of lifting the Webb Ellis trophy in New Zealand. And the immediate sentiment after last week's 20-10 loss to the All Blacks in Christchurch was that the Wallabies might have ended New Zealand's recent stranglehold over them if Cooper had been available.
Remarkably, Cooper is far from the highest-paid Wallabies player and his deal is understood to be worth less than $300,000 a year, with the ARU paying $110,000 on top of the $150,000 he receives from the Queensland Reds.
The ARU offer would be enhanced because players have the opportunity to earn $12,500 each Test but those payments are not guaranteed – as Cooper discovered during his recent two-match ban.
Eels officials are believed to have told him he would have the chance to earn match payments from representative fixtures on top of their massive offer, with State of Origin players set to be granted an increase to $20,000 a game.
Cooper has a league background, and is open about his desire to test himself in the NRL, but he also wants to play in next year's World Cup. He is understood to have ruled out a move to France, where he could command even more money in the Top 14 rugby competition, but is seriously weighing up a switch of codes after almost signing with the Storm in 2007.
Parramatta officials believe he would form a lethal attacking combination with star fullback Jarryd Hayne, who joined chief executive Paul Osborne and chairman Roy Spagnolo at a meeting with Cooper in Brisbane last Thursday night.
The Eels have been looking to recruit a top-calibre halves partner for rookie Daniel Mortimer, and are cashed up after losing captain Nathan Cayless (retirement), five-eighth Kris Keating (Bulldogs), lock Feleti Mateo and centre Krisnan Inu (Warriors), while winger Eric Grothe is also unlikely to play for the club next season.
After missing out on Cronk, they believe Cooper would fit the bill, and Wests Tigers winger Lote Tuqiri yesterday backed his former Wallabies teammate to make a successful transition to the NRL.
"I think he would cross codes easily," Tuqiri said. "He is a natural talent and is someone who plays off the cuff so I think he would be well suited to league."
Not all within the Eels camp are certain of the impact Cooper would make on the NRL should he switch codes. Parramatta co-captain Nathan Hindmarsh yesterday told Triple M radio: ‘‘I’d like to stick with someone in the league ranks, to be honest.’’
But the Eels’ other leader, Nathan Cayless, took a different view, insisting Cooper’s recruitment would be a positive for the code. ‘‘I’ve seen him play, and he’s an absolutely outstanding talent,’’ Cayless told BigPond Sports. ‘‘He’s had some great games for the Wallabies, in a couple of those matches against South Africa, and he played well for the Reds this year as well ... we’ll just have to see what happens with that.’’

natheel

Coach
I honestlythink this is the best chance of signing a player we have been going for this year! Barrett, kimmorley both on verge of retirement while oxford is still on contract in England and cronk well Melbourne just love getting their own way but tbh I think of quad is fair dinkum bout switching then there is no reason y we won't get him

Will b a great addition to the squad too