What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFS! Quade Cooper in secret talks with Parramatta Eels

Brenno75

Juniors
Good to see where actually serious about this. He is probably the best out of the options bar cronk (only because of his experince in NRL). But 850k is a lot? would that be 850k straight out of our cap? because that doesnt leave much left.

Swiftstylez

Bench
^^ Spend the rest of it on him tbh. If we want any chance of performing next year we need a big name like him to partner Mortimer. Without Mateo and Keating we need it.

mrpwnd

Bench
Way too much of a risk to be gambling 850k money to. I won't be complaining if we get him, but i'll be spitting the dummy if he goes MIA because the media and youtube hyped him up to be more of a player than what he really is, it'll go down the records for the worlds most overpaid and overhyped player.

Do we want that?

Gronk

Staff member
Way too much of a risk to be gambling 850k money to. I won't be complaining if we get him, but i'll be spitting the dummy if he goes MIA because the media and youtube hyped him up to be more of a player than what he really is, it'll go down the records for the worlds most overpaid and overhyped player.

Do we want that?

Kn'oath.

oldmancraigy

Coach

Do we want that?

It WON'T be $850k from our cap.

The NRL has agreed to 'sound out sponsors' so that'll be the total package deal. Probably $500k against our cap and $100k marquee player payment.

That's still a lot of cash for someone who has never played league before!

I've watched a fair bit of him playing rugby, and I always though he and Beale should be scalped by league teams.

at the end of the day, the fact is we have a million to spend, infact it may even be just over a million...what ever happens dude, we need to spend it on something..or else we'd be breaking cap rules as we can't be under a certain amount going into next year.

whether we spend it on Quade, BK, Orford, Tuaki, Barrett, Masan, Ferguson, Millington, john Mannah, Riddell or any other of the 100 players of fg experiance still off contract, we have to spend it..

We need somebody.....anybody.

Front load his contract if need be and pay him the majority of what we have left over in the cap for next year.

I would pay him a million for next year if it means we only have to pay him 250k for each of the next two years.

Would mean we could buy more players then.

Daneel

Bench

Do we want that?

Yeah because youtube are really bad for talking footballers up that fail miserably :roll:

born an eel

Bench
I hope he realises anything less than a GF appearance and the board of directors will be looking elsewhere for a replacement. No time to settle in around here, you have to earn your pay straight away. :sarcasm:

scottyeel

Bench
Cooper's NRL switch plan 'a disgrace': Burke
By Dominic Brock
Wallabies great Matt Burke has described Quade Cooper's proposed code switch to the NRL as a "disgrace", as Eels captain Nathan Cayless backed his club's efforts to sign the playmaker.
Wallabies five-eighth Cooper has reportedly met with Parramatta officials in recent weeks, with news reports today claiming the NRL club is ready to offer him a contract worth $850,000 a season.
That would make Cooper the NRL's highest paid player, and is a figure about twice that being offered to the Queensland Reds star by the Australian Rugby Union.
But Burke says the entire saga has been generated in order to boost Cooper's pay packet in rugby union.
"I think it's an absolute disgrace; he's trying to bump up a contract with the ARU," Burke told BigPond Sports Weekend.
"I think he's even written a letter of intent that says he would stay with rugby, which was given to Queensland rugby earlier in the year."
Burke said rugby deserved more loyalty from Cooper, who faced burglary charges – which were later dropped – at the start of the year.
"With the circumstances that happened over Christmas and the support that rugby union and the players association RUPA showed Quade, I thought he'd be more in touch with the rugby world and more loyal rather than chasing the cash anywhere. It's just a manager playing it up and I think it's completely the wrong way to go."
But while Burke said Cooper could be a "dime a dozen" player up against the likes of Todd Carney, Mitchell Pearce and Benji Marshall in the NRL, Cayless said the Eels would welcome him with open arms.
"I think so; I've seen him play and he's an absolutely outstanding talent," Cayless told BigPond Sports Weekend.
"He's had some great games for the Wallabies, in a couple of those matches against South Africa, and he played well for the Reds this year as well. It'd be great but I suppose we'll just have to see what happens with that."
And Penrith Panthers coach Matt Elliott said all NRL clubs should look to rival codes in a bid to recruit the best player talent available.
"I would write a cheque for Quade Cooper. Our sport needs to start looking into other codes for sure. I think he's played a fair bit of league and I don't agree with the rugby union people; I think he's genuinely looking at rugby league," Elliot told BigPondSports Weekend.
"If you start looking at the All Blacks players or the Springboks they're immensely talented but they've got no grounding in rugby league and that instinct for the game means a lot. But Quade Cooper's a really exciting talent and he's got the background in rugby league so he's definitely worth pursuing."

http://www.bigpondsport.com/coopers...race-burke/tabid/91/newsid/58939/default.aspx

mrpwnd

Bench
Yeah because youtube are really bad for talking footballers up that fail miserably :roll:
I'm not saying it isn't, it's probably a good way to judge his level of ability. But at the end of the day, it's just a bunch of highlight reels for a player that only recently came to light through these signing rumors. Take ANY player's career highlights and you could easily get yourself a few good vids, doesn't really mean they're good, plus the kid plays for union. We took the risk of signing a seasoned player(Tahu) back from union and he hasn't been the attacking weapon that he used to be. If it takes this long for an ex-NRL player to adjust to centre/wing, how long(if ever) will it take for a player untested in the NRL to adjust to halfback?

Noise

Coach
I'm not saying it isn't, it's probably a good way to judge his level of ability. But at the end of the day, it's just a bunch of highlight reels for a player that only recently came to light through these signing rumors. Take ANY player's career highlights and you could easily get yourself a few good vids, doesn't really mean they're good, plus the kid plays for union. We took the risk of signing a seasoned player(Tahu) back from union and he hasn't been the attacking weapon that he used to be. If it takes this long for an ex-NRL player to adjust to centre/wing, how long(if ever) will it take for a player untested in the NRL to adjust to halfback?

Actually i think parra would struggle with sum of the battlers we had in the 90s eg Paul Cariage, hehe

mrpwnd

Bench
It WON'T be $850k from our cap.

The NRL has agreed to 'sound out sponsors' so that'll be the total package deal. Probably $500k against our cap and $100k marquee player payment.

That's still a lot of cash for someone who has never played league before!

I've watched a fair bit of him playing rugby, and I always though he and Beale should be scalped by league teams.
Okie, so let's assume 500k, that means he should be performing like a Hayne or a Thurston, which I still doubt he could be within the space of 2-3 years.

But hell, we've got so much unused money we might as well spend it on God knows what.

boxhead

First Grade
Okie, so let's assume 500k, that means he should be performing like a Hayne or a Thurston, which I still doubt he could be within the space of 2-3 years.

But hell, we've got so much unused money we might as well spend it on God knows what.

Dude, all he has to do is organise. We can defend for him if he has trouble, ala the Dragons with Jamie Soward or even the Brisbane Broncos with Darren Lockyer.
He has amazing natural ability with kicking and passing, imagine how many tries he would set up for Daniel Mortimer or Luke Burt, or those guys? If he is our halfback and Morts is our five-eighth, you would not believe how many tries we will be setting up....

jk13

First Grade
quade would be no.1 on my list considering all the other bantha fodder we've been linked to. and 500k seems reasonable for the risk he's willing to take. potentially he could be one the greats of union and set himself up for life.
oh... and another qlder, you really can't go wrong :sarcasm:

84 Baby

Referee
Dude, all he has to do is organise. We can defend for him if he has trouble, ala the Dragons with Jamie Soward or even the Brisbane Broncos with Darren Lockyer.
He has amazing natural ability with kicking and passing, imagine how many tries he would set up for Daniel Mortimer or Luke Burt, or those guys? If he is our halfback and Morts is our five-eighth, you would not believe how many tries we will be setting up....
I don't see why everyone dredges up his supposed lack of defensive ability. The only issue I see with him is the 10m. Offence is much more compressed in union than in league. But all in all his tackling and positioning is better than half the halves in league

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'd wager that defense in union can be a bit harder because you have to use your arms, meaning technique is everything.

If Cooper were so inclined, he could lead with his shoulder in league and it wouldn't be an issue.

Besides, I've seen the guy play. He's the complete deal IMO.

oldmancraigy

Coach

He's got all the same tools that Thurston has plus a bit extra in the size/strength department.

His ceiling is sky high - absolute worst case is Tim Smith with a good running game (which would be awesome).