What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFS! Quade Cooper in secret talks with Parramatta Eels

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Conveniently, the Cooper saga has emerged at precisely the right time for the Eels because it has shifted the focus away from the noose around the coach's neck and the anger among the players that some of those above are doubting the coach.

Very conveniently.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Conveniently, the Cooper saga has emerged at precisely the right time for the Eels because it has shifted the focus away from the noose around the coach's neck and the anger among the players that some of those above are doubting the coach.

Very conveniently.

caylo

Bench
So we'll be announcing the Cooper signing at 11am today then???

to be honest I would not expect anything to happen before Cooper returns from SA. I imagine that if he was to sign today that the RU would pull him from the Australian team he would loss the 12K for each match.

Bigfella

Coach
That's a crap article from Webster who I usually like. Of all the cheap shots at Osborne and the club the silliest of all is that they should have the sporting health of the nation for next years rugby works cup as a factor.

The number of these articles being written on the basis of unproven assertions (Anderson is "understood" to have concerns) or even misrepresentstions ;(hindmarsh has denied making negative comments); innuendo (inserting a gratuitous con ange reference); is just appalling.

If it's not Gould deathriding us in commentary, it's Ritchie and assorted nuffies constantly undermining us. Then when we explode on the field everyone wants a piece of us.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Problem with that article is that it assumes that his agent is ONLY interested in shopping him to bump his price tag.

Why would he bother with a $500k per year salary to 'bump up' his union offer? He's ALREADY been offered $1million to play RU in France - wouldn't that be the logical 'other offer' to bump his Wallabies tag up???

The author also conveniently ignores the fact that suddenly the ARU have offered more money than previously (although being cash strapped with the new Melbourne S14s team they simply cannot match the Eels offer) - and the ARU have even started talking about offering a 1 year deal. Why would they offer a 1 year deal if Cooper had no intention of leaving at all?
Is it because they're getting desperate and starting to feel like the World Cup is their only carrot left to dangle?

Then Rocky Elsom makes an emergency visit to Cooper to try and convince him to stay in union. When asked for an interview by the papers he declined again and again. Why would he decline if the chat had been 'no worries mate, I'll stick around!'

And now that a bigger offer has actually been made by the ARU AND the QRU - why hasn't Cooper jumped all over that? His money has been more than doubled by them....

From all the incidental evidence it seems more and more likely with every passing day Cooper is more and more likely to be an Eel next year.

My gut feeling is that the World Cup might be too large a drawcard - but hey, money talks! It convinced Tahu, Rogers, Sailor and Tuquiri to go and stand around on the sidelines for a few years doing sweet nothing. It convinced Gasnier to go overseas for a couple of years - will it talk to Quade!?!

TeHEel

Juniors
I really hope he signs but I am just prepared for the usual disappointment in our inability to lock down a big signing from outside the club. I agree with the others around here, the only contact that will be signed before the current tour will be with the ARU. If he holds out then its anyones game. The fact that the ARU have said early in the piece they wanted this sorted ASAP to ensure focus is on their coming big games shows this is more than a contract bumper.

As Ossie and others mentioned this is not all about $$, French Rugby would have ticked that box but again he would miss out on the WC and Walabies. Thats what is going to be at the heart his decision; play in the WC with his union mates or playing a game that by all accounts he loves....

Forty20

First Grade
On Fox Sports News, Hindy was speaking at a sponsor product launch (Phillips) and he was pretty positive about both the impact he would have on the team and also rated him 'apparently a big chance' of coming to Parra.

He was also clean shaven, on account of Phillips and dressed quite sharply. Does go alright when he scrubs up :D

boxhead

First Grade
On Fox Sports News, Hindy was speaking at a sponsor product launch (Phillips) and he was pretty positive about both the impact he would have on the team and also rated him 'apparently a big chance' of coming to Parra.

He was also clean shaven, on account of Phillips and dressed quite sharply. Does go alright when he scrubs up :D

From all the rumours that are coming out, and with every passing day, it is indeed looking more likely.....still, you know.
We will have to wait and see; thanks for all the updates guys on the situation!
Cheers and good luck.

Forty20

First Grade
From all the rumours that are coming out, and with every passing day, it is indeed looking more likely.....still, you know.
We will have to wait and see; thanks for all the updates guys on the situation!
Cheers and good luck.

In the same broadcast it cut to David Nucifora (head of the High Performance Unit for Union) and he stated that they weren't going to top up his contract by much more since they had (and I quote very loosely) dozens of young stars waiting in the wings for their chance.

At this point, who knows? I think the ARU is trying to play it just a tad too cool. They don't want to come out as overly desperate to keep Cooper as that would have other league clubs queuing up to poach players and hamstring the code by driving player contracts up but that same attitude is giving us a definite chance to snare him.

Gronk

Staff member
My bro txt me that a rugby journo has just twittered that Quade is at ARU headquarters right now ....

Hope you followed all that !

boxhead

First Grade
Wow. That's pretty...well the rumours are getting even stronger day by day. Thanks again Forty20!

Forty20

First Grade
My bro txt me that a rugby journo has just twittered that Quade is at ARU headquarters right now ....

Hope you followed all that !

Wasn't he touring Parra's facilities today?

Can Stagger or someone else verify it?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Foxsports are leading their sports updates with Hindy saying Cooper is a good chance

Later in the bulletin they are saying Cooper is at ARU HQ now and they are trying to lock him up this afternoon.

I guess its up to the player, what code does he want to play ?

Foxsports are leading their sports updates with Hindy saying Cooper is a good chance

Later in the bulletin they are saying Cooper is at ARU HQ now and they are trying to lock him up this afternoon.

i agree you would think they will match or better the nrl's offer but if he doesnt sign this afternoon i guess its a good sign for us

boxhead

First Grade
Well, at least we will know today more than likely.
If he comes out and says anything, it will be in the next couple of hours; if he doesn't say anything about resigning with the ARU, I would say he is as good as signing with us.

eels bloke

Juniors

Parramatta :pray: