What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFS! Quade Cooper in secret talks with Parramatta Eels

oldmancraigy

Coach
I think he will re-sign with union, leauge players use Union as a bargaining chip to get more money so I think he is just repaying the favour

Doubt it.

League players MAY have used the ARU as bargaining power but that was BECAUSE the ARU had cash to splash and actually DID sign league players up.

Now the shoe is on the other foot - but nobody has signed yet; Quade will be the first!! (AND French rugby offered him $1million anyway - so why use an $850k bargaining chip over a $1million one???)

On 7 news Mateo is allegedly peed off that Parra didn't offer any contract to him because of salary cap but all of a sudden have cash for Quade.

On 7 news Mateo is allegedly peed off that Parra didn't offer any contract to him because of salary cap but all of a sudden have cash for Quade.
Well parra didn't think Mateo was worth the $400k that the Warriors offered him and i tend to agree.
$250k would have been realistic, i hope he goes well for the warriors but on that sort of money it's as big a gamble as us chasing QC.

caylo

Bench

If we sign Mateo for 400K we can afford to go after a halfback... 250K for Mateo is more then enough IMO for Mateo, 300K if he was in better form but 400K for Mateo... im sorry no chance.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Mateo could have been a $400K player if he played his best standard more regularly. We all know what he is capable of but he only rarely produces it. Such wasted talent.

EelDredd

Juniors
The NRL is refusing to assist Parramatta in their pursuit of Wallabies star Quade Cooper - a chase which is threatening to derail the Eels' late charge to the finals.
Departing star Feleti Mateo - man of the match in last week's win over Brisbane - on Wednesday revealed his disappointment that the club could not re-sign him yet had the money to launch an audacious bid to snare Cooper.
Coupled with the growing uncertainty over the future of coach Daniel Anderson - with Melbourne assistant Stephen Kearney reportedly being lined up as a replacement - the Eels are a far cry from the unified outfit which took all before them in marching into last year's grand final.
Mateo along with Eels local junior Krisnan Inu have both been squeezed out of the club next year with the pair accepting three-year deals with the Warriors - Mateo's deal believed to be worth $350,000 a season.
The Eels are rumoured to have offered 22-year-old Cooper $1.5 million over three seasons to switch codes.
Asked if he was disappointed the Eels failed to come up with a contract big enough to keep him, Mateo said:
"That was the club's decision to offer me what they did and I chose to move on.
"If they're still chucking money around, that's what they chose to do, I can't do anything about it.
"What's done is done now, I'm not here next year so good luck to them.
"Having to leave was a bit disappointing but there's so much that I still have to do and I'm really excited about next year."
Whether Cooper will be there in his place remains up in the air, but NRL boss David Gallop said the league would not bend any rules to poach the Wallabies playmaker, a situation he explained to his manager when they met on Monday.
Gallop said the NRL had taken a hard-line stance in relation to players threatening to leave rugby league in recent years, and said the position was the same with players exploring the possibility of going the other way.
"There's too many precedents in place where we've had players under threat to go to rugby union to go making one player an exception to the rule book," Gallop said.
"It would be great (to snare Cooper), he's an exciting player and we've explained to his agent how the salary cap works and we've made it clear that we can't make any exceptions for him.
"But if he's serious about coming over to Parramatta or any other club, then we'll do what we can to help him out."
Unlike the Australian Rugby Union and the AFL - who have both topped up deals to help lure players away from rugby league - such as the multi-million dollar raids from AFL on Brisbane pair Karmichael Hunt and Israel Folau - the NRL has refused to take similar measures in retaliation.
Asked about the NRL's reluctance to get involved, Gallop said:
"I said when Israel Folau went to the AFL, you need to be careful with the message that sends to your existing players and your existing clubs.
"That's why I certainly wouldn't support any sort of exemption to the salary cap."
http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsar...efuses-to-help-eels-cooper-chase/default.aspx

woddy

Juniors
It's gone well beyond a bargaining chip to get his deal up wouldn't you think?[/QUOTe

He's opening up opportunities everywhere in every code if he just wanted to play league then let it be ,just sign but the longer this goes on the less confident I am ....but the thought of a 95kg 6.1ft halfback does wonders for the side......know imagine if we get him ...how him an Mateo could've been the biggest halves pairing ever?

lewiscook

Juniors
It's gone well beyond a bargaining chip to get his deal up wouldn't you think?[/QUOTe

He's opening up opportunities everywhere in every code if he just wanted to play league then let it be ,just sign but the longer this goes on the less confident I am ....but the thought of a 95kg 6.1ft halfback does wonders for the side......know imagine if we get him ...how him an Mateo could've been the biggest halves pairing ever?

Then why didnt he use the million dollar French rugby union offer to get the ARU's offer up? And i have been hearing that Quades management actually contacted us...

woddy

Juniors
Then why didnt he use the million dollar French rugby union offer to get the ARU's offer up? And i have been hearing that Quades management actually contacted us...

I do hope we get him I'm just not as confident as some of the others on here.......too many grey areas for mine but I spose he can't burn bridges if he wants to return to ru

Sad thing about Mateo . . . but I think the decision was probably made around the time his form was a bit patchy.

Easy in hindsight when he is going great guns to regret the decision.

woddy

Juniors

I do hope we get him I'm just not as confident as some of the others on here.......too many grey areas for mine but I spose he can't burn bridges if he wants to return to wobblies

Last edited:

Daneel

Bench
He may have already signed with rugby but doesn't want it annonced for a week or 2 so he looks less like he was using league for leverage. Not that i think he was using league, but all the same if he walked out of the meeting and said ive agreed to terms it sure would look like parra were just a bargaining chip.

strider

Post Whore
i still don't think he'll come .... the ARU just aren't coming to the table yet, hence the balking at re-signing .... its just a waiting game atm - quade's manager waiting for the ARU to fork out the cash, the ARU waiting for him to give in a bit

caylo

Bench

I think this is more then just leverage against the ARU, IMO he is in the same position as Johns was a few years back and is probably 50-50. If he choses rugby I still think it was more then a beat up since he has considered it multiple times before and the ARU arrogant stance may work against them. IMO not all rugby players will see the World Cup as that much of a draw card, maybe the week to week contest of RL and SOO is more then enough to for him. It would mean less travel during the year and while he maya similar amount of games in each year. In RL they will play maximum 40 games a year of (28 games of RL - including all finals, SOO and australian matches: this is a maximum pretty much) while in RU they will play 30-35 games a year (around 15-20 test a year: this year 19). So he may play 5 to 10 games less but probably spends alot more time away from home compared to the NRL.

Essentially if Cooper gets 500K from the Eels and 100K sponsorship anddoe not play any rep games he earns 600K and that is assured (Maximum 28 games a year - 24 regular + 4 finals). If he plays for the Wallabies and he earns 600K but plays 30 games and does not get paid for test matches he misses. Then if you consider atm players get 6k for SOO (looking to increase dramatically) and 12 for test matches then Cooper could earn another 100K form playing rep matches and could earn 700K.

After all this considered the $$ may be in RL and a more normal life may be easier, these are probably the biggest draw cards for Cooper outside of the fact that RL lends itself more to Coopers style and is much more exciting.

woddy

Juniors
I think this is more then just leverage against the ARU, IMO he is in the same position as Johns was a few years back and is probably 50-50. If he choses rugby I still think it was more then a beat up since he has considered it multiple times before and the ARU arrogant stance may work against them. IMO not all rugby players will see the World Cup as that much of a draw card, maybe the week to week contest of RL and SOO is more then enough to for him. It would mean less travel during the year and while he maya similar amount of games in each year. In RL they will play maximum 40 games a year of (28 games of RL - including all finals, SOO and australian matches: this is a maximum pretty much) while in RU they will play 30-35 games a year (around 15-20 test a year: this year 19). So he may play 5 to 10 games less but probably spends alot more time away from home compared to the NRL.

Essentially if Cooper gets 500K from the Eels and 100K sponsorship anddoe not play any rep games he earns 600K and that is assured (Maximum 28 games a year - 24 regular + 4 finals). If he plays for the Wallabies and he earns 600K but plays 30 games and does not get paid for test matches he misses. Then if you consider atm players get 6k for SOO (looking to increase dramatically) and 12 for test matches then Cooper could earn another 100K form playing rep matches and could earn 700K.

After all this considered the $$ may be in RL and a more normal life may be easier, these are probably the biggest draw cards for Cooper outside of the fact that RL lends itself more to Coopers style and is much more exciting.

I don't know how but if you go back lewis cook was quoted that and somehow its under my user name mods?

Noise

Coach
On 'The Rugby Club' they r talking about the quade to parra scenario. They seem genuinely concerned that he is considering league.

Latest posts