What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFS! Quade Cooper in secret talks with Parramatta Eels

Gronk

Staff member
One of this mornings papers said that Quade was pissed about his low sign on fee compared to that of Matt Gitteau. If the ARU bump it up to match Gitteau's then we might have a problem.

Hopefully he is fed up with the arrogance of John O'Neil and jumps ship.

Captain BF

Juniors
According to the "Rumour Mill" on Triple M's morning show "The Grill Team", Cooper will be inspecting our facilities in the next day or so...

Suitman

Post Whore
TBH, I would be very surprised if there was an announcement before the Wallabies return from SA, unless he signs with rugby.

Suity

Stagger eel

Staff member
yeah..I'd be shocked if he decides to come over before he jets of to SA, if anything he'll probably re-sign with the ARU if he had to decide beforehand.

however if he's not a done deal before he heads back than our chances will skyrocket.

Gronk

Staff member
Agree, no way would he announce that he's leaving the code on the eve of two important tri-nations games vs the Boks. No news will be good news.

hybrideel

Bench
I would be very surprised if we were to sign him that any announcement would be made before the end of the tri nations. He would almost certainly be dropped from the wallabies if he did sign with us which would then hurt his bank balance in the appearance fees. And as they have Giteau and Barnes as ready made replacements i think they would dump him.

TheRam

Coach
Well how lame can the NRL be ffs. Thanks for your massive effort in trying to persuade Quade Cooper to RL. If I were Quade's manager, this is how I would of interpreted the Paul Kind meeting.

"Ah...Oh yeah, well we can't offer you anything for sure mate, but if your man ends up playing the game really really well, then umm...well we may then be able to use him in some capacity to umm...lets say showcase our game...umm which would bring in a bit of extra coin for him no doubt...Ummm yeah, that's right, you know we have the new TV rights deal due in a couple of years don't you? So, ummm...it's going to be real exciting times ahead for Rugby League in general and Quade can be a significant part of that if he chooses to take the gam...I mean, come on board and try his hand, he's a rare talent, so we're sure he'll be a major success in our game."

"Ah what's that? Oh, guarantee? Oh no mate, we don't do guarantees here mate, but what you'll find is an extremely professional group of people who can negotiate brilliantly and pull off the greatest deals ever, I mean just look at our past history...ummm real breath taking stuff right? We as an organisation don't like to beat our own chests and we don't much like to talk ourselves up really, but we know that outsiders marvel at our magnificent administrative achievements and we are the envy of all the other Australian sporting bodies and I'm sure Quade would hate to miss out on all of that."

"So what do you say, is Quade ready to sign? I have a contract right here."

What a bunch of plonkers!!!

I think the NRL should create a policy in which across the board they would offer lets say a extra 100 thousand for teams who want to poach rival international talent on top of what the club would be prepared to pay for the player.

The NRL offering to jump in and helping us and then not helping lets say the West Tigers when they poached Lote would be unfair.

I actually know Quade from junior football and i can vouch as a bloke he would be a fine acquisition for our football club. Having said that im not sure he will leave union as they have had a lot of time for him when he has messed up in the past.

hellteam

First Grade
I think the NRL should create a policy in which across the board they would offer lets say a extra 100 thousand for teams who want to poach rival international talent on top of what the club would be prepared to pay for the player.

The NRL offering to jump in and helping us and then not helping lets say the West Tigers when they poached Lote would be unfair.

I actually know Quade from junior football and i can vouch as a bloke he would be a fine acquisition for our football club. Having said that im not sure he will leave union as they have had a lot of time for him when he has messed up in the past.

Exactly. The ARU and more significantly the Queensland Reds have stood by him for a long time. If he leaves it would be a massive slap in the face for them, and would say a lot about him as a person to tell you the truth.

Suitman

Post Whore
Exactly. The ARU and more significantly the Queensland Reds have stood by him for a long time. If he leaves it would be a massive slap in the face for them, and would say a lot about him as a person to tell you the truth.

Rubbish. It works both ways. He has been a great marketing tool for the ARu and QRU as well.
He has no allegiance to anyone. It's his career ffs.

Suity

TeHEel

Juniors
The only reason why they stood by him is because he is a young talent. If he was 28 and not 22 they both would have dropped him like a stack of sh*t. He should just look after himself imo, loyalty is not often two way...

Daneel

Bench

Unless of course the broncos were going to slot him in under their inflated salary cap, then im sure it would be just fine.

Gronk

Staff member
We won't land Cooper with cash: Osborne

Posted August 17, 2010 13:22:00
Osborne says Cooper would be more challenged by the NRL. (Getty Images: Bradley Kanaris)

Parramatta chief executive Paul Osborne hopes the prospect of a fresh challenge and playing with superstar Eels full-back Jarryd Hayne can lure Wallabies star Quade Cooper to rugby league.
The Eels are believed to have made an offer to Cooper worth nearly $1.5 million over three seasons.
Osborne admits his club can not realistically outbid the Australian Rugby Union for Cooper's services.
"He's not going to come to rugby league for money, at the end of the day he'll earn more money playing rugby here, or overseas," he said.
"It's really whether he's interested in the challenge of playing in what I think is a much better contest.
"We'd love to have him, he's obviously a big fan of Jarryd's and they get on very well so we'll see what happens over the next week or two."
Osborne also scuppered rumours players like veteran Nathan Hindmarsh do not want Cooper at the club,
"Hindy has actually spoken to Quade and said he would love to have him at the club," he said.
Osborne confirmed the club would be holding talks with the manager of former Bulldogs and Sharks player Reni Maitua, who is looking to return to the NRL from a two-year drug ban mid next season.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/08/17/2985322.htm?site=sport&section=rugbyleague

Gronk

Staff member
BTW, Quade is 6' 1" and 92.5kgs.

That's only 3kgs below Jarryd's playing weight.