What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFS! Quade Cooper in secret talks with Parramatta Eels

eels bloke

Juniors
On Daniel Mortimer.....
You people were giving him all your passion last year, what happened this year? Where's the support for a tiny young player in only his second year of first grade? Some of you people are so immature and biased it's not funny. What happens when Mortimer goes to another club and tears us apart? At his best, which he showed last year in his FIRST year (and mind you, he debutted at a young age for a half), he tore teams apart with his support play, short-kicking and bullet passing.

Talent doesn't disappear. If you think the brilliant individual touches he brought up last year were "all Hayne" you are seriously kidding yourself. I can't bloody believe how moronic some of your claims are. Grow the f**k up and support a player that is struggling, or aren't you Parramatta fans? When Hayne struggles, you guys are there to support him; when Burt struggles, you guys are there to support him; when Reddy struggles, you guys are there to support him.
Yet for a junior who has little confidence and has had a tough year, no sympathy at all? No sympathy for the person that had no choice in being moved to halfback by his coach? Do yourselves a favour and actually SUPPORT your players. My god you people are spoiled; how about we be wooden spooners, that way you d*ckheads will learn some f**king humility. Then where will your Haynetrain love be? Where will be your support for your team? I can so imagine half of you tossers will just disappear and say "I can't associate with this crap team".

Oh wait, what is that, you aren't even loyal to your club. You aren't even loyal to a player who is struggling. You aren't even loyal to a coach who is having a tough year. It's true, us Parra fans are the laughing stock of Rugby League, and for good reason; people look at how blind and disloyal we are, and just laugh.

I'd like to see even half of you's actually stick up a team-player who is struggling, who puts in all his effort and soul for this team, but no, "he's useless, drop him". You must all be News Limited hockeys, you make me sick.

Thank you though to the 'real' Parramatta fans, who actually want to stick by this team and by the players when they are struggling.
It's like when some of ya's said "I will throw away my membership" because we had a bad year; wow, I'd like to see you guys be Sharks supporters, then you would actually learn some bloody humility.
If you guys were real supporters like them, you would be cheering on Mortimer as you do Luke Burt or Hindy when they struggle, not calling for his head and saying he is useless.

By your logic, if Hayne has a bad year, he is automatically 'useless' and should be sacked. Mmmm, can't see that happening!

Impressive rant, made some good points.

Springs

First Grade
On Daniel Mortimer.....
You people were giving him all your passion last year, what happened this year? Where's the support for a tiny young player in only his second year of first grade? Some of you people are so immature and biased it's not funny. What happens when Mortimer goes to another club and tears us apart? At his best, which he showed last year in his FIRST year (and mind you, he debutted at a young age for a half), he tore teams apart with his support play, short-kicking and bullet passing.

Talent doesn't disappear. If you think the brilliant individual touches he brought up last year were "all Hayne" you are seriously kidding yourself. I can't bloody believe how moronic some of your claims are. Grow the f**k up and support a player that is struggling, or aren't you Parramatta fans? When Hayne struggles, you guys are there to support him; when Burt struggles, you guys are there to support him; when Reddy struggles, you guys are there to support him.
Yet for a junior who has little confidence and has had a tough year, no sympathy at all? No sympathy for the person that had no choice in being moved to halfback by his coach? Do yourselves a favour and actually SUPPORT your players. My god you people are spoiled; how about we be wooden spooners, that way you d*ckheads will learn some f**king humility. Then where will your Haynetrain love be? Where will be your support for your team? I can so imagine half of you tossers will just disappear and say "I can't associate with this crap team".

Oh wait, what is that, you aren't even loyal to your club. You aren't even loyal to a player who is struggling. You aren't even loyal to a coach who is having a tough year. It's true, us Parra fans are the laughing stock of Rugby League, and for good reason; people look at how blind and disloyal we are, and just laugh.

I'd like to see even half of you's actually stick up a team-player who is struggling, who puts in all his effort and soul for this team, but no, "he's useless, drop him". You must all be News Limited hockeys, you make me sick.

Thank you though to the 'real' Parramatta fans, who actually want to stick by this team and by the players when they are struggling.
It's like when some of ya's said "I will throw away my membership" because we had a bad year; wow, I'd like to see you guys be Sharks supporters, then you would actually learn some bloody humility.
If you guys were real supporters like them, you would be cheering on Mortimer as you do Luke Burt or Hindy when they struggle, not calling for his head and saying he is useless.

By your logic, if Hayne has a bad year, he is automatically 'useless' and should be sacked. Mmmm, can't see that happening!

Hayne struggling? No way! It is absolutely impossible for Hayne to play badly!

Anyway well said, I hope Mortimer can get back to his best tonight against the Rabbitohs, but I will support him however he goes.

And as for these fans who want to drop Mortimer after an average year, well by that logic we should have axed Hayne after 2008...

Kornstar

Coach
I watched Mortimer come through and I am pretty sure I was one of the people baffled by his call up last year as I never really seen much in him to suggest he would be anything other than solid.

He certainly surprised me last year but he was also never the playmaker, his backing up skills were first class but he has no great passing game and never has!

His best position is 5/8th but more as a supporting one, with Hayne being a non-traditional supporting fullback, the mix worker perfectly last year.

This year they seem to have wanted to give Mortimer more responsibility and structure which has been his downfall imo. The kid has the world on his shoulders and hasn't been up to it, and it has shown!

His best this year has been in the games where he has been able to play his natural game and not be in control, unfortunately they have been few and far between!

I would like to see him with a true halfback before I decide whether he is a failure or not. This year has been disappointing and Mortimer's form may be a reason for it but it is not his fault that the coach has asked him to perform a role he is not up for!

sam54no

Juniors
Can we offer Cooper a contract from 2012 onwards?
That way he can play his Rah Rah world cup and then come to us. And then we may be able to reduce Mortimer's contract or shed a couple of players *cough* Matt Keating
We'd have a better shot, and Israel and K.Hunt were signed a few years before starting AFL.

Last edited:

84 Baby

Referee
Small men & possibly suspect defenders close to the line (reasons explained above) for 2011

7. Q Cooper
Another one who clearly hasn't watched Cooper play. He would struggle in league defence due to the expansiveness compared to union but actually one on one he's a decent tackler. Put it this way, if he does convert, and his skills do translate to the league game then his attacking prowess will AT LEAST be equal with Marshall's but Cooper will be the better defender

boxhead

First Grade
I watched Mortimer come through and I am pretty sure I was one of the people baffled by his call up last year as I never really seen much in him to suggest he would be anything other than solid.

He certainly surprised me last year but he was also never the playmaker, his backing up skills were first class but he has no great passing game and never has!

His best position is 5/8th but more as a supporting one, with Hayne being a non-traditional supporting fullback, the mix worker perfectly last year.

This year they seem to have wanted to give Mortimer more responsibility and structure which has been his downfall imo. The kid has the world on his shoulders and hasn't been up to it, and it has shown!

His best this year has been in the games where he has been able to play his natural game and not be in control, unfortunately they have been few and far between!

I would like to see him with a true halfback before I decide whether he is a failure or not. This year has been disappointing and Mortimer's form may be a reason for it but it is not his fault that the coach has asked him to perform a role he is not up for!

Perfectly agree with this whole post.

mrpwnd

Bench
You people were giving him all your passion last year, what happened this year?

Simple, he played properly last year, so we all liked him, he's absolute rubbish this year so I think not liking him is perfectly justified, or not liking the decision to continuously retain him in first grade.

What happens when Mortimer goes to another club and tears us apart?

Well then, he's got another 2 years in his overpaid contract to show us that whether he can do that, until then, people will be laughing at us for keeping him at such a price.

he tore teams apart with his support play, short-kicking and bullet passing.

Short kicking game last year was one our biggest deficiencies and the closest thing i've seen to a good pass from Mortimer is the knockback from a high ball in one of the games last year and the Ben Smith set-up against the bulldogs, other than that he passes ineffectively.

Talent doesn't disappear.
No it doesn't...But it can remain untouched or not even exist to start with.

When Hayne struggles, you guys are there to support him

Mate, when he starts shouldering the responsibilities of Hayne in attack then i'll start sympathizing with 24 weeks of poor form.

You aren't even loyal to a coach who is having a tough year.

Self inflicted with many questionable decisions that never went our way this season.

It's true, us Parra fans are the laughing stock of Rugby League, and for good reason

For the same reason every rugby league fan could easily be generalised

I'd like to see you guys be Sharks supporters, then you would actually learn some bloody humility.

They beat us twice this year, I think i've learnt enough humility from that.

If he is having a shocker of a year, then i'd like for him to go to Wenty to clear himself just like what isn't happening to Mortimer.

boxhead

First Grade
Simple, he played properly last year, so we all liked him, he's absolute rubbish this year so I think not liking him is perfectly justified, or not liking the decision to continuously retain him in first grade.

Well then, he's got another 2 years in his overpaid contract to show us that whether he can do that, until then, people will be laughing at us for keeping him at such a price.

Short kicking game last year was one our biggest deficiencies and the closest thing i've seen to a good pass from Mortimer is the knockback from a high ball in one of the games last year and the Ben Smith set-up against the bulldogs, other than that he passes ineffectively.

No it doesn't...But it can remain untouched or not even exist to start with.

Mate, when he starts shouldering the responsibilities of Hayne in attack then i'll start sympathizing with 24 weeks of poor form.

Self inflicted with many questionable decisions that never went our way this season.

For the same reason every rugby league fan could easily be generalised

They beat us twice this year, I think i've learnt enough humility from that.

If he is having a shocker of a year, then i'd like for him to go to Wenty to clear himself just like what isn't happening to Mortimer.

Way to ignore the whole point of my post....
Aside from that, great post.....but really, losing to the Sharks twice is no-where near as bad as what they have gone through.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Another one who clearly hasn't watched Cooper play. He would struggle in league defence due to the expansiveness compared to union but actually one on one he's a decent tackler. Put it this way, if he does convert, and his skills do translate to the league game then his attacking prowess will AT LEAST be equal with Marshall's but Cooper will be the better defender

Totally agree with your view, its also why I said possible suspects....
Have watched him play for a while now and he gives the impression he can tackle one or one BUT until he proves himself in league, playing 80 minutes in the top grade at the speed this game flows, Daniel Anderson needs to make sure Quade gets all the support either side of him.... Robson, Tahu, Reddy, Smith, Horo, Hindmarsh, Humble, etc.

I guess the trials will reveal something but lets put some insurance in by having some strong defenders with great cover defence to clean up in case Cooper is floundering in the NRL until he finally finds his feet. How awesome would that be if it happened in the first game of 2011?

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
Quade wont sign IMO-dont think he plans to or ever did -He would be a massive risk in my eyes a lot more than webb and reni

Eelementary

Post Whore
So basically, because of his second year syndrome, we now waste an entire year hoping that he gets over it? First grade has no room for that stupid sh*t.
I wouldn't be surprised also if Humble struggled next year as well, but that was by no means a good enough excuse to have Mortimer over him this year despite better form. Remember DA's creed of form=selection. This year, Humbles been more in form than Morts and not chosen.

I know Humbles played 5-6 games, but at the end of the day, if you put in a player who outplays his replacement, then keep him in longer and see how he goes on a consistent basis, Humble has been denied the opportunity because of an agenda-driven desire to develop Mortimer into a world-class halfback, every sign points to Humble being the better player, if you don't take the word of the people on this forum, then i'll instill some wisdom into you, Sterlo himself, devoted an entire article outlining why humble is the best HALFBACK in the club, albeit based off his few games in 1st grade, its only a few games, but he's still much more of a prospect than Mortimer atm.

The specifics of 2nd year syndrome comes from teams using training and video training to analyze a player and shut them down, if Mortimer is struggling to cope with all that, then he well and truly should've been dropped to Wenty long before this to develop himself before testing himself again in his 2nd year at first grade.

Mate, I know it's frustrating. But the things Mortimer did in his first season at First Grade, to me at least, shows he DOES have what it takes. He's just in a horrible slump.

I like Humble, but to be brutally honest he didn't stand out to me. If he played that much better than Morts, absolutely - you're right, he should have been selected ahead of Morts. No worries. But I think he was solid at best.

That's not to say I am having a go at Humble - it was his first year of First Grade, and I think he did well. I certainly never expected him to be Jonathan Thurston MKII.

I respect your opinions on Humble and Lord knows I respect Sterlo's opinion (the man is the greatest mind in the game IMO). But from his litte snippets in Grade, I, personally, did not see a First Grade halfback there. A 5/8, maybe.

And I totally, 100% agree - Morts SHOULD have been dropped to Wenty a lot earlier because he was struggling. No doubt about that at all. But we all know the politics behind why he wasn't...

I may be the minority here, but I insist - I think Daniel Mortimer is a good player. I don't think he's a halfback. But he will be a very good 5/8 one day IN MY OPINION.

I was also one of the few who watched him closely in Toyota Cup and didn't find him particularly great. But when he moved to First Grade, he impressed me.

I am the first to admit his 2010 has been shocking. But if he can work on it in the off-season, I am confident he will become a good player for us.

But if you or anyone else disagrees, I can totally respect that - I can see why you guys would disagree.

boxhead

First Grade
Go back and have a look at the 2009 highlights apart from newy Mortz done SFA.
:eek:

I actually looked at the highlights and he was brilliant in all of his games last year, except the GF.

I also have a very good memory in regards to footy, and I can tell you he was the initial spark in our wins over Melbourne and the Doggies that kick-started our run; the rest of the wins were off Hayne's inspiration though.....
I also remember that in his first-grade debut, the commentators were saying he played brilliantly and was likely our best player on the field.

dazeely

First Grade
QUADE Cooper will stay in rugby union for next year's World Cup, and his blossoming romance with pool darling Stephanie Rice has clinched his decision to remain in Brisbane.

Despite a very public flirtation with rugby league's Parramatta Eels, Cooper will not jeopardise a settled life off the field in Brisbane as part of Australian sport's new glamour couple.

The Wallaby flyhalf was comforting Rice from afar last week after her tearful revelation she will have to miss the Commonwealth Games in Delhi in October because a chronic shoulder injury requires surgery.

He has been in regular contact from South Africa where he is making his return to Test rugby in Pretoria and the strong pointer is that the pair are happy to go public with their relationship when he returns from the tour.

The smitten Cooper has never been more content off the field because of his new relationship with the three-time Olympic gold medallist, buying a house in Brisbane for the first time this year and the stable future he finally sees for the Queensland Reds.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Related Coverage
Sporty couple: Rice and Cooper 'an item'
Spectator appeal: Rugby's now anything but boring
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

It is perfect timing for Rice too - having the stuffing knocked out of her Games plans was shattering, so having a boyfriend who understands the emotional roller-coaster of elite sport has been hugely comforting.

Cooper will be back in Brisbane early next month to help Rice through recovery from the arthroscopic surgery that will get the medley queen pain-free and firing for next year's world championships and the 2012 London Olympics.

The new off-field balance for the once flighty Wallaby prodigy is one of the underlying factors to Cooper's comfort with the swirl of negotiations and often-heated public debate over his courting of a three-year, $1.5 million contract offer to switch to rugby league with the Eels.

"My head space is sweet," Cooper said last week and there has not appeared to be a distraction or media question that can knock him out of his confident rhythm.

Late last year, Rice lamented: "Everyone's always, 'Steph, you need a boyfriend'. I'm like, 'I know, but apparently I have four'. Believe me, one would be just perfect."

When The Sunday Mail approached Cooper in Pretoria for a comment about his relationship with Rice, he grinned happily as if the secret was out - just as Rice did a few weeks earlier when she lingered over the line: "He's a nice guy."

Since meeting late last month, at the time of the Australia-South Africa Test at Suncorp Stadium, they have been seen socialising around Brisbane.

Queensland coach Ewen McKenzie is making no plans for anyone other than Cooper to be filling the Reds No.10 jersey next year. "I'm not up on the fine detail, but there's been an upgraded offer (from the Australian Rugby Union)," McKenzie said.

"It's a very good deal and I'm confident Quade will make a decision very soon.

"Quade has lots of ambitions in rugby that he wants to build on with the Reds, the Wallabies and with next year's World Cup in New Zealand.

"It's all unfinished business for him and that hasn't changed since we last spoke.

"There are thousands of ways to get a contract negotiation done and it's all pretty close to his future in rugby being settled," McKenzie said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...r-in-rugby-union/story-e6frepm6-1225911289778

bartman

Immortal
A choice between staying/living with Stephanie Rice and... dinners with Roy Spagnolo and Jarryd Hayne. :-k

Looks like it's Morts and Robson in 2011... :lol:.

cv8z

Juniors
QUADE Cooper will stay in rugby union for next year's World Cup, and his blossoming romance with pool darling Stephanie Rice has clinched his decision to remain in Brisbane.

Despite a very public flirtation with rugby league's Parramatta Eels, Cooper will not jeopardise a settled life off the field in Brisbane as part of Australian sport's new glamour couple.

The Wallaby flyhalf was comforting Rice from afar last week after her tearful revelation she will have to miss the Commonwealth Games in Delhi in October because a chronic shoulder injury requires surgery.

He has been in regular contact from South Africa where he is making his return to Test rugby in Pretoria and the strong pointer is that the pair are happy to go public with their relationship when he returns from the tour.

The smitten Cooper has never been more content off the field because of his new relationship with the three-time Olympic gold medallist, buying a house in Brisbane for the first time this year and the stable future he finally sees for the Queensland Reds.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Related Coverage
Sporty couple: Rice and Cooper 'an item'
Spectator appeal: Rugby's now anything but boring
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

It is perfect timing for Rice too - having the stuffing knocked out of her Games plans was shattering, so having a boyfriend who understands the emotional roller-coaster of elite sport has been hugely comforting.

Cooper will be back in Brisbane early next month to help Rice through recovery from the arthroscopic surgery that will get the medley queen pain-free and firing for next year's world championships and the 2012 London Olympics.

The new off-field balance for the once flighty Wallaby prodigy is one of the underlying factors to Cooper's comfort with the swirl of negotiations and often-heated public debate over his courting of a three-year, $1.5 million contract offer to switch to rugby league with the Eels.

"My head space is sweet," Cooper said last week and there has not appeared to be a distraction or media question that can knock him out of his confident rhythm.

Late last year, Rice lamented: "Everyone's always, 'Steph, you need a boyfriend'. I'm like, 'I know, but apparently I have four'. Believe me, one would be just perfect."

When The Sunday Mail approached Cooper in Pretoria for a comment about his relationship with Rice, he grinned happily as if the secret was out - just as Rice did a few weeks earlier when she lingered over the line: "He's a nice guy."

Since meeting late last month, at the time of the Australia-South Africa Test at Suncorp Stadium, they have been seen socialising around Brisbane.

Queensland coach Ewen McKenzie is making no plans for anyone other than Cooper to be filling the Reds No.10 jersey next year. "I'm not up on the fine detail, but there's been an upgraded offer (from the Australian Rugby Union)," McKenzie said.

"It's a very good deal and I'm confident Quade will make a decision very soon.

"Quade has lots of ambitions in rugby that he wants to build on with the Reds, the Wallabies and with next year's World Cup in New Zealand.

"It's all unfinished business for him and that hasn't changed since we last spoke.

"There are thousands of ways to get a contract negotiation done and it's all pretty close to his future in rugby being settled," McKenzie said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...r-in-rugby-union/story-e6frepm6-1225911289778

I thnk just get Orford and groom Murray for the gig

Gronk

Staff member
Give the Journo a Walkley Award.

QC has gone out on a few dates with SR. Therefore he will not leave Brisbane. Hmmmok enough information there to put a story together. :roll: