What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Final - Raiders vs Panthers, Sat. 830 @ CUA Stadium.

TheFrog

Coach
as an aside the way the panthers supporters carried on after you guys lost against us was vastly more disrespectful than a few raiders supporters trolling back. you guys essentially gave us no credit at all and cried like bitches FOR WEEKS. chrisd for example started deathriding the club every chance he could get. blooo blooo blooo

I seem to remember much the same after the Round 1 match at Penrith from the Canberra supporters. Most Penrith supporters feel we were not given a fair go in the second half of the Bruce match. It was the refs we weren't happy with, you expect the any opponent to try to win if they can, and the Raiders did play well with a glut of possession. As it wore on and the weight of defence mounted, we started making errors in possession, making things worse. Still it was only a 6 point margin.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
yeah and its fine to be angry over a few decisions going against you but to carry on about it for weeks is just weird.

maybe a lot of the raider trolling is to do with the blatant disrespect we got after that game from your lot. it goes both ways. if you cry over a win for WEEKS at a time then maybe you are saying your opponents are sh*t and needed the ref to get the win. we beat you fair and square. all sides have to deal with a home crowd as we will this weekend.

Doomednow

Bench
Its frustrating to watch an opposition get piggy back penalties up the field. If I can recall correctly we had just started to come out of our slump and find some form too, which made it harder to cop. When you can see your side finally finding their feet again only to be cut out of the game (for a time at least) by repeat penalties its one of the most frustrating experiences you can have watching a league match.

None of it matters now anyway. We'll just have to see if the teams can live up their fans' expectations this weekend.

EDIT: Just want to say I'm not arguing about that game anymore, penalties and possession eventually evened up I think, but most of the anger from the Pantehrs fans stemmed from that period in the game. It's done an dusted now, you won. The weekend is all that matters now.

Last edited:

skeepe

Immortal
Forced to do plenty of defence, the vaunted Raider pack comes back to the field quite alarmingly. This is why they came 7th and not first.

Completely, totally, utterly and appallingly wrong.

The Raiders forwards have won the forward battle every single week. The problem was our defence at the start of the year, and then our attack in the middle.

THIS is why we came 7th. We started the year shockingly overall, but absolutely none of the blame for that can be placed on the forwards. None whatsoever.

aussies1st

Staff member
Canberra Raiders hooker Travis Waddell has been cleared of any fracture in his jaw and will take his place on the interchange bench for the Raiders first finals clash with the Panthers on Saturday night at CUA Stadium.

The Raiders have name an unchanged line-up for the game against Penrith, with Trevor Thurling remaining as 18th man for the match, while Co-Captain Alan Tongue has been left out of the squad.

Raiders Coach David Furner said although Tongue had progressed well in his rehabilitation for his torn calf, he would not be ready for the Panthers clash at this stage.

“Alan’s made some good progress but at this stage its very doubtful that he would be ready for Saturday,” Furner said. “Travis has been cleared of any damage to his jaw and he’ll be right to play that back up dummy half role for us.”

In a positive boost for the club ahead of the match, Danny Galea announced today that he will remain with the Raiders until the end of the 2011 season, after agreeing to a new one year deal this week.

CANBERRA RAIDERS V PENRITH PANTHERS
SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 11, 8.30PM
CUA STADIUM

NRL

1. JOSH DUGAN
2. REECE ROBINSON
3. JARROD CROKER
4. JOEL MONAGHAN
5. DANIEL VIDOT
6. TERRY CAMPESE (C)
7. JOSH McCRONE
8. TOM LEAROYD-LAHRS
9. GLEN BUTTRISS
10. DAVID SHILLINGTON
11. JOE PICKER
12. BRONSON HARRISON
13. SHAUN FENSOM

14. TRAVIS WADDELL
15. DANNY GALEA
16. DANE TILSE
17. SCOTT LOGAN
18. TREVOR THURLING

http://www.raiders.com.au/default.a...id=30073&title=raiders-unchanged-for-panthers

Would be tempted switching Robinson to Vidot side and Vidot into centre. Our left hand flank is very short with Croker and Robinson. Not so much of a worry this week with the Panthers not known for their tall backs but they will be testing them.

Timbo

Staff member
Good squad, don't change a winning formula.

I hope they've done some work with Robinson's positional play. Those kicks in behind him last week were worrying.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
I think Robinson has been doing okay, he seems to have safe hands at the back plus he has some speed which is always a positive. If he gets the positional play down he should go well in first grade.

Doomednow

Bench
If you at all care:

Matthew Elliott has named Luke Walsh in the team to play the Raiders at CUA Stadium this week.
Walsh injued his ankle in the Rd25 game against the Bulldogs and missed last weeks win over the Sharks. Also named and expected top play is Luke Lewis who sat out last weeks game with a stained calf.
1. Michael Gordon
2. Sandor Earl
3. Michael Jennings
4. Brad Tighe
5. Adrian Purtell
6. Travis Burns
7. Luke Walsh
8. Sam McKendry
9. Kevin Kingston
10. Tim Grant
11. Trent Waterhouse
12. Frank Pritchard
13. Luke Lewis
21. Masada Iosefa
15. Matthew Bell
16. Nathan Smith
17. Gavin Cooper
18. Wade Graham
19. Frank Puletua

http://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/d...play&id=30091&title=semi-final-team-announced

franklin2323

Immortal
Of course we care , we like to know who we are going to beat :)

How fit are walsh and lewis?

I am 100% sure Lewis will play. He was running ok at the open training session he was limping but alway does that.

Not sure about Walsh with Ligaments it's hard to say. I would of thought Coote would of been fine he was moving pretty good also seems not

laurie

Juniors
if raiders aim there attack at tighe and turtle they will win this game !! the forwards will b on top as usual. i am hoping thurling is in for galea.. Thurling just gives so much more all round..

TheFrog

Coach
Completely, totally, utterly and appallingly wrong.

The Raiders forwards have won the forward battle every single week.

Every week? That's every week since the winning streak started, you mean. They certainly didn't win it in Melbourne in round 21. And they were under the pump in the latter stages last week, too, against a rather unheralded forward pack.

Against Penrith and St George both at Bruce, Canberra dominated the second half with a mountain of ball.

My view is that Canberra need lots of ball to dominate. If they don't get that, they have to tackle, and that changes things somewhat.

If you can get a really good share of possession this weekend, like well over 50%, especially in the second half, the Panthers will be in plenty of trouble. Otherwise, Panthers in a tough one.

skeepe

Immortal
Every week? That's every week since the winning streak started, you mean. They certainly didn't win it in Melbourne in round 21. And they were under the pump in the latter stages last week, too, against a rather unheralded forward pack.

Against Penrith and St George both at Bruce, Canberra dominated the second half with a mountain of ball.

My view is that Canberra need lots of ball to dominate. If they don't get that, they have to tackle, and that changes things somewhat.

If you can get a really good share of possession this weekend, like well over 50%, especially in the second half, the Panthers will be in plenty of trouble. Otherwise, Panthers in a tough one.

No I don't mean that.

Take a look at our 4 game losing streak earlier in the season. In 3 out of 4 games, we made over 1600 metres, and almost 1500 in the other. That is sensational in anyone's language.

As I said before, our forwards have been completely dominant all year. You need to pay closer attention.

mxlegend99

Referee
PLEASE BE FIT COOTE..... and come in at the expense of Adrian Purtell. He could single handedly win this game for the Raiders. Meaning he would have done more for them since he left then in the entire team he was there. :x

PLEASE BE FIT COOTE..... and come in at the expense of Adrian Purtell. He could single handedly win this game for the Raiders. Meaning he would have done more for them since he left then in the entire team he was there. :x

didnt he win you the game in round 1.

But I know what you mean

mxlegend99

Referee
His intercept certainly helped change momentum. But I choose to believe we would have won (by more probably) even if he wasn't playing and that play didn't occur. :lol:

I just can't believe have bad he is. I thought the Raiders fans bagging him were exaggerating, but he would seriously have to be the worst back in the NRL. So much so that I would gladly have David Simmons ahead of him.

franklin2323

Immortal

Unless Purtell stops sucking ME's D**k he will play. Sadly I am expecting to walk in to Windsor on Sat arvo and see Earl play

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Purtell is such a dud. I mean the guy seems affable enough but jesus I am glad we got rid of him to launch the likes of Dan Vidot.