What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Week 2: Sharks vs Panthers

franklin2323

Immortal
Egan with a full pre-season. Egan is the player Katoa should be and was pre Wallace retirement. Throws a no look pass but it's accurate, has a kicking game, good running game and is a good defender.

The commentary today mentioned ISP stopped playing through the ruck and we lost our advantage. Funny that's right when Egan went off.

I also have no doubt the club won't buy a hooker so these two are our options.

Damien Cook was at a similar level to both of these 2 last year. The best we can hope for is one of them to develop as quickly

Kilkenny

Coach
This markers not square with Waqa at dummy half was picked up in the SMH coverage of the game as well. As if Klein was going to just award us the game just like that.

It was picked up by half a dozen Panther fans sitting around me in Bay 36. One in particular was screaming 'he's not square, he's not square" at the top of his lungs. We would have been 40 metres away from the play the ball and it was obvious to those of us paying close attention. One would think regardless of the state of the game, this was one of the more blatantly obvious marker not square infringement's you would ever see yet apparently gone unnoticed by both the pocket ref and Klein.

TheFrog

Coach
One would think regardless of the state of the game, this was one of the more blatantly obvious marker not square infringement's you would ever see yet apparently gone unnoticed by both the pocket ref and Klein.
The kindest thing I can say is that refs don't like to determine the result with a penalty in kicking range in the dying moments. They did it for St George with 4 minutes to go though, its just that Souths managed to get up the other end and kick field goals twice after that.

Too bad it interfered with our ability to set for a field goal.

unKwn

Juniors
my positive take on this match:

- we played dog shit with an inexperienced side against a very experienced and well drilled side. our players who were meant to play well, played shit. we had injuries. game looked gone at HT. yet one point was the difference. just a bit of fine tuning here and there with a bit of luck with injuries and next year is ours.

- we would have gotten decimated by melbourne next week - would hurt more as it is a prelim

- the loss cleary and the team needs. i am sure they are sick of bowing out week 2 every year. nathan had the opportunity to potentially win us the game and screwed it. he will use that as motivation as next year. he has unfinished business

- no injuries suffered that will affect next year's season

Kilkenny

Coach
The kindest thing I can say is that refs don't like to determine the result with a penalty in kicking range in the dying moments. They did it for St George with 4 minutes to go though, its just that Souths managed to get up the other end and kick field goals twice after that.

Too bad it interfered with our ability to set for a field goal.

The job of a referee is to officiate according to the rules of the games. Shouldn't matter whether an infringement of the rules occurs in the first or last minute of a game, whether it is a finals game or regular season game.

The standard of refereeing has been in decline since Tony Archer became the main man for the referees and once he passed on the reigns last season things haven't changed for the better given the new ref's boss was made under the Old Mates Act.

My memory is not what is was so forgive me, but in our finals exits in recent seasons I was in Canberra when the ref's had no problems ensuring the Raiders had all the ball in last crucial 10 minutes with some dubious call's in particular against JFH.

I wasn't in Brisbane last year for our heartbreaking 13-6 loss to the Bronco's but where there not calls against us which made life very difficult.

Last night Klein and his lackey's for the most part kept a low profile, given the current edict of minimising the penalties but as the evidence clearly shows Aaron Woods committed a blatant infringement of the rules of being square as a marker and nothing was done about it. I can accept there acceptance players from both sides would be allowed to infringe the 10 but not what Woods was allowed to get away with. That is just wrong. If neither Klein nor the pocket ref saw it, then they should be dropped for there incompetence because it was well spotted by most of the fans in bay 36 including my own son who supports the sharks.

Wizardman

First Grade
The job of a referee is to officiate according to the rules of the games. Shouldn't matter whether an infringement of the rules occurs in the first or last minute of a game, whether it is a finals game or regular season game.

The standard of refereeing has been in decline since Tony Archer became the main man for the referees and once he passed on the reigns last season things haven't changed for the better given the new ref's boss was made under the Old Mates Act.

My memory is not what is was so forgive me, but in our finals exits in recent seasons I was in Canberra when the ref's had no problems ensuring the Raiders had all the ball in last crucial 10 minutes with some dubious call's in particular against JFH.

I wasn't in Brisbane last year for our heartbreaking 13-6 loss to the Bronco's but where there not calls against us which made life very difficult.

Last night Klein and his lackey's for the most part kept a low profile, given the current edict of minimising the penalties but as the evidence clearly shows Aaron Woods committed a blatant infringement of the rules of being square as a marker and nothing was done about it. I can accept there acceptance players from both sides would be allowed to infringe the 10 but not what Woods was allowed to get away with. That is just wrong. If neither Klein nor the pocket ref saw it, then they should be dropped for there incompetence because it was well spotted by most of the fans in bay 36 including my own son who supports the sharks.
Poor baby, poor baby!!!!!

Kilkenny

Coach
Poor baby, poor baby!!!!!

That's all good and well. I have accepted it. The Sharks deserved to win the game and your halves were much better than our in the clutch moments of the game. Doesn't alter the fact I am simply pointing out the fact the match officials allowed a blatant offence which should have been penalised. No guarantee we would have kicked the goal.

I guess winners can be smug but you guys have to go to AAMI and play the Storm where you can be almost guaranteed the Storm crowd will influence the match officials in the way they referee the game.

I have been there six times in the last ten years I know how painful it can be. So next Friday night when you are moaning on your own forum about certain decisions which didn't go your way, legitimately or otherwise forgive me if I have a little smirk to myself.

Unlike you I won't gloat and be a smart arse like you and see the need to go onto the Sharks forum with a poor baby comment. You need to grow up and you will almost certainly be tested when the Storm do a number of you guys next Friday.

Kilkenny

Coach
Question, be honest:

If the roles were reversed in the Woods situation does anyone actually think we wouldn't have been penalised?

It doesn't matter now. It's history. We have fallen at the same hurdle we have done for the past three season.

We lost because of our first half and being 18-2 down rather than one poor non decision from the match officials.

The challenge for our club is to rectify the deficiencies in our roster and the small issue of not yet having a coach for 2019 and beyond.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
It was picked up by half a dozen Panther fans sitting around me in Bay 36. One in particular was screaming 'he's not square, he's not square" at the top of his lungs. We would have been 40 metres away from the play the ball and it was obvious to those of us paying close attention. One would think regardless of the state of the game, this was one of the more blatantly obvious marker not square infringement's you would ever see yet apparently gone unnoticed by both the pocket ref and Klein.
But..but the ref...

TheFrog

Coach
Meant to put this here, not the game day thread.

‘Unacceptable’ James Maloney called out by Penrith great Ryan Girdler

PENRITH playmaker James Maloney has been called out for an “unacceptable” performance by club premiership winner Ryan Girdler.

Girdler’s comments came in the wake of Friday’s loss to Cronulla at Allianz Stadium which bundled the Panthers out of NRL finals.

The veteran five-eighth made some crucial errors during the game and failed to get his side across the line when it was there to be won late in the piece.

Fox Sports Lab credited Maloney for two errors and three missed tackles for the night, but Girdler believes his performance was worse than those numbers.

“He’s known to be a player that doesn’t carry his divots but last night he was visibly upset for the whole game,” Girdler told Triple M on Saturday.

“He came up with that poor defensive read on Fifita that allowed the first (Sharks) try, he went up the other end, ran off (Viliame) Kikau and dropped the football.

“I think all up there was about nine errors in his game, and for the captain and leader of your club to go out and perform like that on the biggest stage is unacceptable.

“You can’t do that ... you don’t keep people accountable, and that’s your job particularly on those games.

“We know he can get over things, make mistakes then come back and win the game but eventually you’re not going to be able to do that, and that’s what happened last night.

“At some point he needed to pull back and give the reins to Cleary who was doing a really good job.

“There was even times last night where he would jump into dummy half on the fourth play, kick into Cronulla legs and hand over possession.

“One of the last plays of the game when they were trying to set for a field goal he goes down the short side and leaves them no option.

“He needed to be better last night.”

Maloney’s young halves partner Nathan Cleary, on the other hand, was electric in the second half and - along with backrower Kikau - almost completed a stunning comeback for Penrith.

Girds is at it again. We all remember he burst into print exactly this time last year with much the same wares but that time he was ripping into Griffin. It seems this sort of thing is going to be an annual event from him.

We all know Jimmy didn't have a very good game and we're all in mourning but I honestly don't see the point. No one used to do this to Girds when he had a shocker back in the day, and he had a fair few.

OldPanther

Coach
Meant to put this here, not the game day thread.

‘Unacceptable’ James Maloney called out by Penrith great Ryan Girdler

PENRITH playmaker James Maloney has been called out for an “unacceptable” performance by club premiership winner Ryan Girdler.

Girdler’s comments came in the wake of Friday’s loss to Cronulla at Allianz Stadium which bundled the Panthers out of NRL finals.

The veteran five-eighth made some crucial errors during the game and failed to get his side across the line when it was there to be won late in the piece.

Fox Sports Lab credited Maloney for two errors and three missed tackles for the night, but Girdler believes his performance was worse than those numbers.

“He’s known to be a player that doesn’t carry his divots but last night he was visibly upset for the whole game,” Girdler told Triple M on Saturday.

“He came up with that poor defensive read on Fifita that allowed the first (Sharks) try, he went up the other end, ran off (Viliame) Kikau and dropped the football.

“I think all up there was about nine errors in his game, and for the captain and leader of your club to go out and perform like that on the biggest stage is unacceptable.

“You can’t do that ... you don’t keep people accountable, and that’s your job particularly on those games.

“We know he can get over things, make mistakes then come back and win the game but eventually you’re not going to be able to do that, and that’s what happened last night.

“At some point he needed to pull back and give the reins to Cleary who was doing a really good job.

“There was even times last night where he would jump into dummy half on the fourth play, kick into Cronulla legs and hand over possession.

“One of the last plays of the game when they were trying to set for a field goal he goes down the short side and leaves them no option.

“He needed to be better last night.”

Maloney’s young halves partner Nathan Cleary, on the other hand, was electric in the second half and - along with backrower Kikau - almost completed a stunning comeback for Penrith.

Girds is at it again. We all remember he burst into print exactly this time last year with much the same wares but that time he was ripping into Griffin. It seems this sort of thing is going to be an annual event from him.

We all know Jimmy didn't have a very good game and we're all in mourning but I honestly don't see the point. No one used to do this to Girds when he had a shocker back in the day, and he had a fair few.

He has more right than anyone to criticise players at the club. Is he wrong?

martielang

Bench
I haven’t agreed with Gus at all over the last 2 months but he’s bang on with what he’s said.

We don’t need a squad overhaul, we didn’t lose because we played to our maximum & they were just better then us, we just need to improve certain areas of our game which will come with experience & potentially new ideas from the coaching staff.

OldPanther

Coach
What part is positive?

So why call out Maloney only?

Merrin 1 run 10m gained
Leota 27m gained
Tamou 67m gained

It was a bad team performance across the board

It was bad. But the game was there to be won with a bit of game management and our marquee big dollar signing who was bought for those moments failed. That's worthy of being called out.