What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Financial fragility of the game

betcats

Referee
Not sure how talk of expansion could still have any momentum when many of the current clubs and to an extent, the NRL, are run so poorly.

Given the current state of the world I’d say expansion is now just a pipe dream for the foreseeable future. Relocation might happen though.

Exsilium

First Grade
Given the current state of the world I’d say expansion is now just a pipe dream for the foreseeable future. Relocation might happen though.

Relocation, sure.

I understand there is a desire for new and shiny things but the NRL has a high success rate of failure when it comes to due diligence and calculated decision making.

betcats

Referee
Relocation, sure.

I understand there is a desire for new and shiny things but the NRL has a high success rate of failure when it comes to due diligence and calculated decision making.

I agree. Expansion for expansions sake isn’t a good idea we clearly can’t afford it and I think there is a fair chance it dilutes the talent pool which will lower the quality of the product. The game isn’t in a position to expand even pre-covid.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
There is some nice astroturfing going on for the new V'Landys tenure.

Blame for any failings, will always lie with previous executives and Coronavirus.

Modern management 101 - take all responsibility for any positives and no accountability for any negatives.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I agree. Expansion for expansions sake isn’t a good idea we clearly can’t afford it and I think there is a fair chance it dilutes the talent pool which will lower the quality of the product. The game isn’t in a position to expand even pre-covid.

You are making two bad assumptions.

Firstly that it will be nessacry for the NRL to spend a lot of money on expansion, which isn't necessarily true, and secondly that you have to expand the number of teams in the competition to expand the competition.

betcats

Referee
You are making two bad assumptions.

Firstly that it will be nessacry for the NRL to spend a lot of money on expansion, which isn't necessarily true, and secondly that you have to expand the number of teams in the competition to expand the competition.

If you mean relocation I wouldn’t consider that expansion.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
There is some nice astroturfing going on for the new V'Landys tenure.

Blame for any failings, will always lie with previous executives and Coronavirus.

Modern management 101 - take all responsibility for any positives and no accountability for any negatives.

Lets not forget that V’landys has been a commissioner for 2 years, since March 2018.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The trick to growing the games footprint is to cap the clubs expenditure with a hard total cap that reflects the real revenue raising ability of the majority of clubs. This does two things, allows you to bring in clubs with a good amount of certainty they aren’t going to spend themselves into oblivion and two makes them very attractive prospects for investors. Your are then only limited in your expansion by player depth and how many investors you can attract. But that would mean clubs having to do what’s best for the game and the nrl actually controlling its destiny. Neither of which is going to happen.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lets not forget that V’landys has been a commissioner for 2 years, since March 2018.

yep he is just as responsible as anyone for the signing off on budgets and financial strategies over the last two years. Bit rich of him to now be complaining about nrl spending!

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
The FTA $ was always going to drop with people moving to new platforms for content. I'm more interested in what happens with the streaming rights. Foxtel revenues were down and they're losing subs, but numbers on Kayo and Fox Now were going up. News will try to lock up streaming rights long term. Hopefully those in charge aren't stupid enough to sign them over for nothing.

Silent Knight

First Grade
The FTA $ was always going to drop with people moving to new platforms for content. I'm more interested in what happens with the streaming rights. Foxtel revenues were down and they're losing subs, but numbers on Kayo and Fox Now were going up. News will try to lock up streaming rights long term. Hopefully those in charge aren't stupid enough to sign them over for nothing.

ESPN need an invite to the party.

franklin2323

Immortal

Which is why I am waiting for the details before I comment on a good deal or bad deal.

Less FTA games will be bad and Fox not getting less games so hence paying less

Latest posts