What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First coach sacked 2024

Munky

Coach
Benji succeeding or failing is beneficial for the Tigers either way.

If he goes well the team finally has some positive vibes especially if they play in the finals.

If he fails the club can finally f**k off anyone and anything that played a role in the 2005 premiership for good.

Wizardman

First Grade

If he goes well the team finally has some positive vibes especially if they play in the finals.

If he fails the club can finally f**k off anyone and anything that played a role in the 2005 premiership for good.
I'll never regret a premiership.....but I'll be honest here. Our club has lived off 2005 for FAR TOO LONG. It has become over time a weight holding us back in many different ways for a long time. I agree with your statement.

I'll never regret a premiership.....but I'll be honest here. Our club has lived off 2005 for FAR TOO LONG. It has become over time a weight holding us back in many different ways for a long time. I agree with your statement.
Whilst the fans eat it up they’ll keep dining out on it.

final say

Juniors

They're in actually a really tough position. They've sacked so many coaches and this was the big plan to get out of it...the long term strategy.
Trouble is Benji was a brilliant individually skilled player no doubt but was never a leader, never really Read the game well, just individual stuff.
Now his whole job is being a leader, reading the game and unifying a group..unsurprisingly went and bought the least team oriented player..
I'm happy to be proven wrong but the could turn out to be the most disastrous coaching appointment in history.

Wizardman

First Grade
They're in actually a really tough position. They've sacked so many coaches and this was the big plan to get out of it...the long term strategy.
Trouble is Benji was a brilliant individually skilled player no doubt but was never a leader, never really Read the game well, just individual stuff.
Now his whole job is being a leader, reading the game and unifying a group..unsurprisingly went and bought the least team oriented player..
I'm happy to be proven wrong but the could turn out to be the most disastrous coaching appointment in history.
The sad part is.....I agree with every word you said. Add to the fact that Benji has NOT had a coaching apprenticeship, it was a very foolish decision by past management to back him.

The one good part in all of this is that Richo has definitely been given the green light to make the tough changes. I think he will have the balls to pull the trigger on Benji if things don't look like improving.

Benji under pressure though will not be a good look.

MKCS

Juniors
There are a few options on who will go first this year, for me:

Arthur - Apart from the 2022 grand final he hasn't really ever lead the Eels anywhere great. Sure, they've made finals but there'd be coaches out there that do much better I think.

Ciraldo - Lots of investment, lot of star players, it is easily a top 8 side but isn't playing like one yet, if he doesn't come close to the 8 this year you'd have to think he'd be done.

Demetriou - Has been living off the great first year he had in 2022 where Souffs made the preliminary final. Anything short of a strong position this year and you'd have to think he'd be done.

---

I think Benji is safe for at least another season because Luai signing was apparently because he wanted to play under Benji. I'd say another failed season with Luai at the club will be Benji's unravelling.

Des I think is safe for at least another 2-3 seasons as well, 14/18 seasons he has made the finals as coach, has won 2 grand finals and made 5 overall. A poor first or even second season could easily be explained away by not having the right players at the club (Brimson, Tino and Fifita the only players that you could consider stars)

*O'Brien is a contender as the Knights have a slow start in their make up. I somehow think he'll escape it though as I think a tougher contender in the list is ripe for the picking.
*I think there is no chance Hasler will get punted in his first year regardless of how the Titans are travelling.

I have two bolters to add to that list.

*Benji Marshall: I'd normally say a first year coach is no chance of getting sacked but with the Tigers being in a unique position of winning the last two spoons, Shane Richardson may not be in the mood to retain him if there is no improvement in the team. Keep in mind, Benji did coach the Tigers a lot through last year as well. I doubt he'll get punted but would not rule it out either.

*Trent Robinson: A massive bolter as he has a rising forward pack with lots of depth, two very good halves who for some reason have not quite gelled yet as well as some good backs. If that squad fails to make the 8 again, I think Uncle Nick will start to sniff around for a possible replacement. Make no mistake, as good as the Roosters squad are, Robinson does have a bit of pressure on him. I'd say he almost certainly won't be the first sacked......but would not rule him out of being sacked if the Roosters copy 2023.

The massive favourite for me is Ciraldo. He is in his second year in charge with a worse front row than he had in 2023. The Dogs will simply not make the eight with their front row rotation despite the millions of decent quality backs they have bought this year. It won't help if they don't have the cattle to take them up the field in the first place. Their halves are not great....but based on today, they could have had Andrew Johns and Wally Lewis in the halves, it would not have made a difference to the result today. I think Ciraldo and the Dogs are in very deep trouble.
The Roosters made the top 8 in 2023.

Siebold at Broncos has to be the most disastrous coaching appointment. Broncos let Bennett go for him.

final say

Juniors
The sad part is.....I agree with every word you said. Add to the fact that Benji has NOT had a coaching apprenticeship, it was a very foolish decision by past management to back him.

The one good part in all of this is that Richo has definitely been given the green light to make the tough changes. I think he will have the balls to pull the trigger on Benji if things don't look like improving.

Benji under pressure though will not be a good look.
They will probably perform good for a few games but die off fast.

final say

Juniors
Siebold at Broncos has to be the most disastrous coaching appointment. Broncos let Bennett go for him.
Not really though, Siebold has success at souths and looks the goods at Manly. Siebold puts together a good roster and that's what Bennett inherited, he's now finally putting it together at Manly.
Benji could be a complete failure.

final say

Juniors
The Benji thing is really interesting.
Like giving someone the controls in plane without any experience...
Could explode in a fire ball on the side of a mountain..or we could find out he was born to fly..can't wait for this one!

And he's not waiting to feel his way in!!..
Lachlan Galvin- 6!! He was missing tackles against the " Junior Kumals" !!
Now he'll have Josh PAPALI’I charging straight at him! Geez!!
Pull up Benji!! Pull up !! Lol

Surly he'll start with sezer.. I almost can't look!

Canard

Immortal
The Benji thing is really interesting.
Like giving someone the controls in plane without any experience...
Could explode in a fire ball on the side of a mountain..or we could find out he was born to fly..can't wait for this one!

And he's not waiting to feel his way in!!..
Lachlan Galvin- 6!! He was missing tackles against the " Junior Kumals" !!
Now he'll have Josh PAPALI’I charging straight at him! Geez!!
Pull up Benji!! Pull up !! Lol

Surly he'll start with sezer.. I almost can't look!
The original plan, of doing an apprenticeship, was a good one, it's just Sheens wasn't the right fit for the mentor role.

Munky

Coach
The original plan, of doing an apprenticeship, was a good one, it's just Sheens wasn't the right fit for the mentor role.

Across pro sports how many successful master to apprentice coaching transitions has there been?

I can only think of Bill Walsh to George Seifert at the SF 49ers.

On a side note I'm pretty sure Bennett deliberately endorses nuffies as his successors in order to weaken his future opposition.

Latest posts