What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Grade Team Knights v Storm Round 4

Frederick

Staff member
Yeh, on the news Perry said he felt a couple of cricks when he was upended in that tackle, but the neck was feeling better today.

Serc

First Grade
Johns Magic said:
He's the sort of player that can win you a premiership. Hence why we should persist with him.

Also the sort of player who could lose it for you with his poor defence and positioning...its why I almost like to forget about him sometimes, because he is the perfect example of a double edged sword! I enjoyed his try so much last night i almost feel sucked in enough to say he should have another go lol

~knights~

Juniors
  1. Kurt Gidley
  2. James McManus
  3. George Carmont
  4. Brad Tighe
  5. Adam MacDougall
  6. Jarrod Mullen
  7. Andrew Johns (C)
  8. Josh Perry
  9. Danny Buderus
  10. Adam Woolnough
  11. Steve Simpson
  12. Clint Newton
  13. Daniel Abraham
Interchange:
  1. Terence Seu Seu
  2. Cory Paterson
  3. Matthew White
  4. Daniel Tolar
  5. Kirk Reynoldson

This won't be the team that runs out on Saturday.

Smith didn't even pick it :lol:

The Coach was still doing a recovery session at the AIS in Canberra yesterday morning and then took a flight back to Newcastle

Steve Mount(Knights media & communication manager) chose the side.

CJKnight

Juniors
Johns Magic said:
He's the sort of player that can win you a premiership. Hence why we should persist with him.

Thiaday is almost 27, how much improvement is left in him? He has only averaged 14 games for his 2 FG seasons.

As for the "too small for FG" comments on Uate... LOL to that. The only thing I think Smith is waiting on is to make sure his tackling and ball-handling is up to speed. I would love to see him play outside Doogs (lord knows Carmont would never give him the ball).

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
i was of the belief that tighe easily played his best game of the season on monday in a team that played sh!thouse. He'll keep improving.

Johns Magic

Referee
christopherjon said:
Thiaday is almost 27, how much improvement is left in him? He has only averaged 14 games for his 2 FG seasons.

Um...so you're trying to convince me that he has no improvement in him because he's inexperienced?

Oh and the answer: plenty.

He is easily our most talented outside back.

And to Daveserc...if we have someone like Thaiday firing at fullback we could be a premiership threat. We could be embarassing at times, but we could be f**king awesome.

Without someone like Thaiday at fullback, we'll be a consistent but less threatening side. I can't see us bothering the big sides without his flair.

So it's really a matter of whether you'd take a gamble with Thaiday, or play it safe without him and come a respectable 7th or 8th.

That's how I see it.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Johns Magic said:
Um...so you're trying to convince me that he has no improvement in him because he's inexperienced?

And to Daveserc...if we have someone like Thaiday firing at fullback we could be a premiership threat. We could be embarassing at times, but we could be f**king awesome.

Without someone like Thaiday at fullback, we'll be a consistent but less threatening side. I can't see us bothering the big sides without his flair.

So it's really a matter of whether you'd take a gamble with Thaiday, or play it safe without him and come a respectable 7th or 8th.

That's how I see it.

Bloody well said!!!

Jono078

Referee
Frederick said:
LOL, I don't get why people think Aku is too small for first grade. He's 185cm and 95kg...hardly rag doll material
Yeah exactly, look at the Morris brothers for the Dragons, Uate is bigger than them.

perverse

Referee
Thaiday is a loose cannon. he has great attacking flair but his defence is abysmal. he's also getting too old.. by the time he's had enough first grade experience to be a potent first grader he will be pushing 30.

unless he addresses his defensive play there is no room for him in our top lineup. he can't possibly score more tries than he is going to let in at the moment. and even if he does, at least half of those tries can be scored by any other player willing to catch an andrew johns pass/kick.

- edit - and you speak of this supposed lack of flair? macdougall is a very threatening "flaired" player when given some ball. kidleys running game is also superb at the moment and is causing huge issues in broken field play. we honestly don't need thaiday.

we don't need thaiday
we don't need thaiday
we don't need thaiday

ad infinitum.

Johns Magic

Referee
perverse said:
Thaiday is a loose cannon. he has great attacking flair but his defence is abysmal. he's also getting too old.. by the time he's had enough first grade experience to be a potent first grader he will be pushing 30.

unless he addresses his defensive play there is no room for him in our top lineup. he can't possibly score more tries than he is going to let in at the moment. and even if he does, at least half of those tries can be scored by any other player willing to catch an andrew johns pass/kick.

- edit - and you speak of this supposed lack of flair? macdougall is a very threatening "flaired" player when given some ball. kidleys running game is also superb at the moment and is causing huge issues in broken field play. we honestly don't need thaiday.

we don't need thaiday
we don't need thaiday
we don't need thaiday

ad infinitum.

MacDougall and Kidley don't have anywhere near as much natural flair as Thaiday. Don't even try to pretend they do.

He was killing it at the start of last year, and was the sole reason we were putting cricket scores on teams like the Bulldogs. If he can get to that form again we will be infinitely better than we are now.

He was thrown in the deep-end last week, called up late due to injury, coming off the bench, playing behind a sh*tty forward pack and a lacklustre Johns.

If he starts to play anywhere near his potential, you'll be the first to realise how much we do need Thaiday.

perverse

Referee
i didn't even mention monday's game... i'm talking on a far more general scope here. it's definately unfair to judge the backs based on what happened monday. they were powerless.

to say he was the sole reason we were putting cricket scores on teams early last year is just plain ridiculous. the team was firing well.. and the combinations were coming off great. nothing that can't be achieved with players other than thaiday.

we can't just stick him in first grade and cross our fingers that he'll happen to start firing. potential is just that - potential. if it isn't realised.. and generally it should be realised at the start->mid of their career to make anywhere near the most out of it.. then it's a waste of our time and money.

hell just look at perry.. what a prime example.

no, you're right, kidley and mad dog don't have as much natural attacking flair as thaiday. in fact kidleys isnt even natural at all. kidley has flair through genuine hard work and a will to succeed, both on a personal and club level. mad dog has also built his flair on the back of hard work, natural strength and oodles of natural ability.

thaiday seems to know nothing of hard work.. if he did he would be forcing his way into the top grade side. as it stands he's not even setting the world on fire in PL.

Johns Magic

Referee
perverse said:
i didn't even mention monday's game... i'm talking on a far more general scope here. it's definately unfair to judge the backs based on what happened monday. they were powerless.

to say he was the sole reason we were putting cricket scores on teams early last year is just plain ridiculous. the team was firing well.. and the combinations were coming off great. nothing that can't be achieved with players other than thaiday.

we can't just stick him in first grade and cross our fingers that he'll happen to start firing. potential is just that - potential. if it isn't realised.. and generally it should be realised at the start->mid of their career to make anywhere near the most out of it.. then it's a waste of our time and money.

hell just look at perry.. what a prime example.

no, you're right, kidley and mad dog don't have as much natural attacking flair as thaiday. in fact kidleys isnt even natural at all. kidley has flair through genuine hard work and a will to succeed, both on a personal and club level. mad dog has also built his flair on the back of hard work, natural strength and oodles of natural ability.

thaiday seems to know nothing of hard work.. if he did he would be forcing his way into the top grade side. as it stands he's not even setting the world on fire in PL.

So uh, tell me...our turnaround in form in '05 from 13 losses in a row to a huge winning streak coincided with Thaiday's move to fullback. We were murdering premiership heavyweights at the start of last year with Thaiday there, then went to sh*t once he got injured...and we don't look like scoring many points without him at all.

I'd say that tells you something.

In fact, I just checked up on this.

In 2005, as soon as Thaiday moved to fullback, we averaged 26.3 points per game(with Johns).

When Thaiday wasn't at fullback, we averaged 16 points per game(with Johns).

When Thaiday was at fullback without Johns, we averaged 17 points per game.

When Thaiday wasn't at fullback and Johns didn't play, we averaged 12.8 points.

When Thaiday wasn't at fullback, we lost 11 in a row.

When Thaiday moved to fullback, we won 8 of our last 13 matches, 8 from 11 if you discount the first two matches(four of these without Johns).

In 2006:

With Thaiday(and Johns) we averaged 31.5 points per game.

Without Thaiday(with Johns) we averaged less than 19.

With Thaiday we won 10 and lost 3.

Without Thaiday we won 5 and lost 8.

Damning statistics if I've ever seen them. It's funny that when the "team fires" coincides with Thaiday's presence.

roopy

Referee
We all know the strengths and weakneses of Thaiday.
By the end of the year i expect Smith to find a way to use his talents.
I said in the preseason that i thought he would be used off the bench with specific intructions to target weak defenders in the opposition side. I still think that will be his role eventually, but maybe only for specific games.

keeney

First Grade
Johns Magic said:
So uh, tell me...our turnaround in form in '05 from 13 losses in a row to a huge winning streak coincided with Thaiday's move to fullback. We were murdering premiership heavyweights at the start of last year with Thaiday there, then went to sh*t once he got injured...and we don't look like scoring many points without him at all.

In 2005, as soon as Thaiday moved to fullback, we averaged 26.3 points per game(with Johns).

When Thaiday moved to fullback, we won 8 of our last 13 matches, 8 from 11 if you discount the first two matches(four of these without Johns).

In 2006:

Damning statistics if I've ever seen them. It's funny that when the "team fires" coincides with Thaiday's presence.

Stats don't tell the whole story. The end of 05 and beggining of 06 we were firing as a team, Thaiday was playing well, but the teams play can hardly be attributed to him alone. The game that Thaiday was injured in was the Cowboys game was it not? That game was what destroyed the middle part of our year, it took us months to recover, if we even did. It's convenient that your stats fit, but I think it's ludicrous to say Thaiday was the catalyst behind a 12.5+ better PF a game.

Johns Magic

Referee
keeney said:
Stats don't tell the whole story. The end of 05 and beggining of 06 we were firing as a team, Thaiday was playing well, but the teams play can hardly be attributed to him alone. The game that Thaiday was injured in was the Cowboys game was it not? That game was what destroyed the middle part of our year, it took us months to recover, if we even did. It's convenient that your stats fit, but I think it's ludicrous to say Thaiday was the catalyst behind a 12.5+ better PF a game.

I don't think it's ludicrous. Johns looks better with Thaiday out there. He gives us the spark in attack that other players feed off.

Yes it was the Cowboys game. The Cowboys game where we lead 16-6 at half-time. Then Thaiday went off and we lost 18-16. Then Thaiday was out and we lost all our form. Very "convenient", as you put it....

Johns Magic

Referee
Oh and did you know that in our 25 matches in 2005-6 with Thaiday at fullback, our lowest score was 14?

Did you also know that the 25 matches we played without Thaiday at fullback, we scored 14 or less 8 times?

Did you know that in those 25 matches without Thaiday, we scored more than 26 points just once?

Did you know that in those 25 matches with Thaiday, we scored more than 26 nine times?

We also scored 32 or more points seven times with him, but didn't get more than 32 once without him.

Wow, if I didn't know any better I'd say Thaiday was the key ingredient to our attack...

But hey, clearly he just managed to schedule his injuries around the times when the whole team was about to lose form, and heal when they were about to hit form. That bastard.

Farva

Juniors
Johns Magic said:

In 2006:

I'm convinced.

CJKnight

Juniors
Johns Magic said:

That's how I see it.

So your telling me that a 27 y.o. bloke who only averages 14 games per season (and only half those at fullback) is the most important ingredient of our backline?

If you are saying this based entirely on his try-scoring potential then that is the wrong reason to pick a fullback.

We've had this discussion before, but I'm honestly curious how you can think that...

Johns Magic

Referee
christopherjon said:
So your telling me that a 27 y.o. bloke who only averages 14 games per season (and only half those at fullback) is the most important ingredient of our backline?

If you are saying this based entirely on his try-scoring potential then that is the wrong reason to pick a fullback.

We've had this discussion before, but I'm honestly curious how you can think that...

Firstly, he's played all but about 3 of those at fullback, don't lie.

Secondly, yes that's what I'm telling you(besides Johns of course).

Thirdly, this "averaging 14 matches a season" sh*t that you keep sprouting is just that: sh*t. He missed the first 10 rounds of 2005 because he wasn't even at the club at that stage. Though I guess it doesn't tell you that when you look up the stats on the NRL website.

Did I not just point out how much more successful we are with Thaiday in the side? I'd say that's a pretty good reason to pick him.

Latest posts