What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Grade Team - Round 14

Johns Magic

Referee
Yeah I don't get the whole Reegan Tanner thing.

He's small, ineffective, and doesn't have a high workrate.

The guy's tough, and will keep putting his body on the line all day. I respect him for that. But he doesn't really offer much to the side.

Super Sub

Juniors
It's a pretty good side overall. I'm really looking forward to this match because I think we are really going to dust the raiders up... BIG SCORELINE IN OUR FAVOUR!

Remember that the side named on paper is very rarely the side that runs out on match day. Tanner might not actually be the starting lock.

Yosh

Coach
M Young and C Bailey sh*t all over Tanner... I dont understand why B Smith wants Tanner in the side so much...

keeney

First Grade
People always talk about this side swapping thing that Smith is allegedly famous for. He very rarely brings someone new in from outside the named team, only when it is a definite starter who returns from injury early. Generally he just names an extended bench if he lpans on fooling around, or swaps positions but retains the same 17.

shane1970

Juniors
The only reason I can see that SMITH has TANNER starting at lock is, due to his team selection this week, if he was to start with TOLAR at lock and keep TANNER in the squad then we would have only ONE genuine front rower on the bench in SARGENT.
So I think his reason is to start TANNER at lock and then have TOLAR and SARGENT rotating with PERRY and WOOLLY.
I know SIMMO has stepped up to the plate and played front row before but with him (hopefully) backing up after origin I would expect him to be needing some time off the field during the game.

roopy

Referee
Tanner had a dig last week.
I know he was going through the motions a lot last year - but he is still very young, very experienced, and has his best years in front of him.
I thought he was as good as Reynoldson has been - and he is 5 or 6 years younger than Reynoldson and on half the money.

CJKnight

Juniors
TBH Tanner didn't play to bad last week. Only made one error from memory and made some good meters by supporting for offloads. One has to think that he is only there because Reyno is gone for 8 weeks. By the way, is Abes still injured?

roopy

Referee
christopherjon said:
TBH Tanner didn't play to bad last week. Only made one error from memory and made some good meters by supporting for offloads. One has to think that he is only there because Reyno is gone for 8 weeks. By the way, is Abes still injured?
Abes, Seage and Polglase are a week or two away apparently.

Tams

Juniors
I for one can't wait! This is my first home game this year and I can't wait to get one back on the Raiders after they beat us here in Canberra earlier in the year! The side looks pretty good (agree with all the less Tanner talk though!) so it should be a pearler of a game!

keeney

First Grade
Reyno has been close to our best forward this year, to compare him to Tanner, who gets dominated when attempting a tackle is ridiculous. Tanner went over the advantage line for the first time in his career granted, but Reyno tackles more, harder and makes better metres and offloads.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Well there is a first time for everything and who knows, Brian might be able to get the best out of Tanner

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Cos his hitups were soft. He ran with absolutely no determination. I lost count of the amount of times he was pushed backwards.

keeney

First Grade
Thats cos he was out there for too long. He hit up well initially, but he's too fat to be playing 60 minutes.

perverse

Referee
snowy was totally out on his feet at the end of the tigpies match... i daresay if anything he earnt a rest this week...

best backline of the year thus far without a doubt.. i'm looking forward to seeing it in action.

Spitty

Juniors
Yeah, I think Tanner's there because he's an 80min worker. Simmo and Bedsy usually occupy that role, but with them backing up from SOO, they're be a little fatigued if they don't pull out all togethor. It's a smart selection for the balance of the team. I'm very happy with the side named, very confident of a good win.

keeney

First Grade
He's hardly an 80 minute worker, his workrate is generally pretty dismal. Just cos someone is on the film for 80 minutes doesn't make them a worker. Young is a far better option.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
keeney said:
He's hardly an 80 minute worker, his workrate is generally pretty dismal. Just cos someone is on the film for 80 minutes doesn't make them a worker. Young is a far better option.

I wouldn't be upset if smith started with young as his defence is first class. Having said that, he does lift the team when he comes off the bench.

I haven't rated tolar at lock as he lacks speed and has offered little from that position. His best games have been playing front row off the bench. I'd be starting with bailey as he may turn out being a future country origin player. You heard it here first.