What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Grade V Roosters

roopy

Referee
Smith cant suddenly make Kids a decent kicker
Smith can give Kidley one or two kicks that will work against the roosters and have him practicing them all week - instead of giving him too many things to work on.
Hopefully it's only a one game gig, so he doesn't need a whole range of skills so people don't get to read him from watching videos - he just needs one trick for one game - or maybe two.

roopy

Referee
However you look at it, Smith will have a plan to use the team we have.
It might not work - but it might.

Johns Magic

Referee
Why is Lulia copping it so much?

Yeah he had a bad day with his hands last game. But out of all our three-quarters so far this year, he's been the most dangerous in attack. In fact looking at the stats, he's averaged the most metres, second most line-breaks, most line-break assists, least missed tackles, most tackle busts, and he's made less than half the amount of errors as Naiqama or Vuna.

I know stats don't tell the full story obviously, but I only looked them up because I thought I must have been imagining things after reading some of the comments about him on here.

When Mad Dog is back I'd consider looking at having him and Lulia in the centres with Naiqama and Vuna on the wings. Lulia has the size, speed and strength that make or the perfect centre. He runs good lines and hits the ball at pace.

In the last two weeks he's had to mark two internationals in Tate and Hodges and they did nothing in attack. The only centre who have looked threatening against us have been Hayne and Shortland and both of them were on the other side of the field.

I think Lulia has a lot of potential if those poor hands were just a one off last week.

otori

Juniors
I think it might not be so much the mistakes he's making but the time he makes them in. The two drops against Brisbane were put to pay and the one against the Eels lost us the match.

I really don't like that side. I just cannot understand why Ciraldo is even being considered and that backline looks horrible. Let's face it, we're going to have to be very good to outmuscle Mason, OMeley and the rest so it's not gonna matter whos in the backs anyways.

Bicey_18

Bench
That looks a fairly weak team - Im sure last week vs Broncos you fielded a better one.

Nope.. Dureau was injured

Its basically the same team that played in the 2nd half V brisbane with the inclusions of Hilder and MacDougall

cram

Bench
Nope.. Dureau was injured

Its basically the same team that played in the 2nd half V brisbane with the inclusions of Hilder and MacDougall

And thats it. I am going out on a limb here but the only time I got really excited last week was when Kidley went to half back and Naquima went to full back.

Personally I thought they both did well when the changes happened and we looked the best we did.

On top of that there is a growing sentiment that Kidley should be the SOO half back, people such as Ricky Stuart and Bob Fulton are saying this. So for what its worth I think there is something in the hype.

Bring it on.... I hope we can all be suprised.

Super Sub

Juniors
Not the ideal team, but will play a different game than we would come to expect.

A positive that I can see is that we will be much stronger in defence around the middle of the park, Gidley is a tackling machine and Bailey has the size and strength to take down the big Roosters pack, as much as the defence of Mullo and Dureau have improved they would miss a fair few tackles between them against the chooks, not to mention Walsh (who may get named in the side just before the match, you never know)

I feel pretty confident that our defence will be up to the challenge with that halves combo, plus Hilder is back in the team which is a godsend for a game like this, and with our ruck defence so poor last week it will be a good lesson for the big boys to tighten it up in the middle so hopefully they run some drills in training to fix that up.

Wes at fullback is pretty good, he is big and powerful and I thought he was good back there in the second half against the Broncos. The kicking game is definetly a bit worrying but hopefully our forwards can get us over the advantage line so Gids and Bails can do their best with the kicks.

It really does shape as a big battle in the forwards, I think it'll be a big game and I am quietly hopeful of us getting an upset victory

roopy

Referee
Lulia is pretty much the youngest and least experienced guy we have, but he put a Hodges don't argue on Hodges the other day.
He is two or three years off his best, but this is a guy who already looks like a future champion to me. He will stop making rookie mistakes when he stops feeling like a rookie i suppose - and the more games he plays to sooner that will be.
For years to come we will be looking for little guys or weak defenders in the backs and running the guy with the massive fend at them.
I can't remember a Knight with a better fend, and it will only get better.

sneaky_is_here

Juniors
Lulia is pretty much the youngest and least experienced guy we have, but he put a Hodges don't argue on Hodges the other day.
He is two or three years off his best, but this is a guy who already looks like a future champion to me. He will stop making rookie mistakes when he stops feeling like a rookie i suppose - and the more games he plays to sooner that will be.
For years to come we will be looking for little guys or weak defenders in the backs and running the guy with the massive fend at them.
I can't remember a Knight with a better fend, and it will only get better.

Junior Sau broke through about 3 or 4 people in NSW cup. Havn't seen his name listed once on here.

roopy

Referee
Junior Sau broke through 3 or 4 people in NSW Cup. Havn't seen his name listed even once on here.
He has shown some great stuff too. Being a little guy with a low centre of gravity he steps around plenty of guys - which is what he looked like he was setting himself to do the other day, but he was surounded by defenders and just decided to bullock past them and barged 20 metres to score.
He has plenty of game and i look forward to seeing how he improves as well.

keeney

First Grade
And thats it. I am going out on a limb here but the only time I got really excited last week was when Kidley went to half back and Naquima went to full back.

Personally I thought they both did well when the changes happened and we looked the best we did.

On top of that there is a growing sentiment that Kidley should be the SOO half back, people such as Ricky Stuart and Bob Fulton are saying this. So for what its worth I think there is something in the hype.

Bring it on.... I hope we can all be suprised.

These people know the game better than us undoubtedly. But the people here know Kidley more intimately than most including them.

shane1970

Juniors
I hope he as an ABSOLUTE BLINDER at half and puts egg on all the faces of his doubters. I liked what I saw when he jumped to half last week against the Broncos. Hope he emulates it for a full 80 and then we can make judgement. He's a year or two older and wiser since he last played in the halves and I can guarantee that he has matured and gained an even better footballing brain in that time to which I hope he applies to the Bluetongue Stadium on Sunday. Newcastle victory and a Kidley man of the match for mine.

perverse

Referee
I hope he as an ABSOLUTE BLINDER at half and puts egg on all the faces of his doubters. I liked what I saw when he jumped to half last week against the Broncos. Hope he emulates it for a full 80 and then we can make judgement. He's a year or two older and wiser since he last played in the halves and I can guarantee that he has matured and gained an even better footballing brain in that time to which I hope he applies to the Bluetongue Stadium on Sunday. Newcastle victory and a Kidley man of the match for mine.
you obviously don't understand what is required of a halfback. kidley at first receiver when he wants it - sure. kidley trying to steer a team around all game - coming up with the right plays at the end of a tackle count, and having an accurate kicking game - not a chance.

FFS PEOPLE, HE ISN'T A HALFBACK. maturity is one thing - but his skillset simply doesn't work at halfback and is a complete waste of an otherwise very dangerous player when used correctly.

i very strongly doubt kidley will play halfback this weekend. it'll probably be mullen... and i wouldn't rule out walsh yet either.

keeney

First Grade
I'm thinking its Smith covering for Walsh's defense. Using all the current hype about Kidley to 7 to his advantage. At least, I hope so. The reshuffle forced by an inclusion of a half, be it Mullen or Walsh, makes the team look that much stronger.

MC DUI

Juniors
I'm thinking its Smith covering for Walsh's defense. Using all the current hype about Kidley to 7 to his advantage. At least, I hope so. The reshuffle forced by an inclusion of a half, be it Mullen or Walsh, makes the team look that much stronger.

Sounds good! We'll have to wait and see what happens...

shane1970

Juniors
you obviously don't understand what is required of a halfback. kidley at first receiver when he wants it - sure. kidley trying to steer a team around all game - coming up with the right plays at the end of a tackle count, and having an accurate kicking game - not a chance.

FFS PEOPLE, HE ISN'T A HALFBACK. maturity is one thing - but his skillset simply doesn't work at halfback and is a complete waste of an otherwise very dangerous player when used correctly.

i very strongly doubt kidley will play halfback this weekend. it'll probably be mullen... and i wouldn't rule out walsh yet either.
Like I said Perverse - Hope it comes back to haunt you - cause you sure seem to be one of the doubters. Perhaps we should let him play the bloody game first before we pass judgement on his past attempts, cause there has been a lot of water under the bridge. Oh yeah, I guess Ricky Stuart and the others who are plugging Kids for halfback in SOO don't know what is required of a halfback either hey !!!:sarcasm:

perverse

Referee
Like I said Perverse - Hope it comes back to haunt you - cause you sure seem to be one of the doubters. Perhaps we should let him play the bloody game first before we pass judgement on his past attempts, cause there has been a lot of water under the bridge. Oh yeah, I guess Ricky Stuart and the others who are plugging Kids for halfback in SOO don't know what is required of a halfback either hey !!!:sarcasm:
apparently they don't mate, because aside from one good bomb against brisbane, kidleys kicking game was its' usual, abysmal self.

Latest posts