What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Grade V Roosters

roopy

Referee
Another factor that has changed is the team around Kidley.
He used to step into the hotseat surrounded by players who wanted to feed off a brilliant playmaker named Johns and looked lost when he wasn't there.
Now the team are used to running plays that don't require the guy in the 7 to be the son of God, or reasonable facsimile thereof.
The current KISS (keep it simple stupid) style will be a lot easier for Kidley to organise that the Joey double reverse fakeout play with a twist in the pike position.

perverse

Referee
lol god i hope you gidley at half backers are right if he ends up with the #7 on his back this weekend...

i still think his kicking, if nothing else, will cost us the match.

shane1970

Juniors
apparently they don't mate, because aside from one good bomb against brisbane, kidleys kicking game was its' usual, abysmal self.
Oh well were screwed for the World Cup then if the Aussie Coach doesn't know what is required from a halfback. And although more likely, Cronulla will still be virgins after this yeasrs comp !

perverse

Referee
Oh well were screwed for the World Cup then if the Aussie Coach doesn't know what is required from a halfback. And although more likely, Cronulla will still be virgins after this yeasrs comp !
lol, look at who ricky stuart has playing halfback for cronulla, a washed up brett kimmorley! have a squiz at the sharks forum if you want to find out how much they love that! the sharks have the attacking potency of an 80 year old woman with leprosy with noddy-one-nut steering the ship.

as for the aussie side - they could pick about at least 3 or 4 halfbacks before anyone from NSW would come into the consideration - so i hardly think that would be a problem. i don't even know if the aussie coach has an official say in who is picked?

roopy

Referee
lol god i hope you gidley at half backers are right if he ends up with the #7 on his back this weekend...

i still think his kicking, if nothing else, will cost us the match.
The kicking thing is a worry - but i'm thinking Smith has probably worked that out and has a plan B.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Brett Kimmorley would be pissed off that his coach is plugging a fullback for the NSW half spot.

If Kids plays half for NSW then it will be a 3-0 whitewash. If Kids plays half for us against roosters we will lose 20+.

shane1970

Juniors
I really would like to see Kids get a go at halfback - but I would really like more to see is Mullen back in the side (a smithy sidestep) - kids back to fullback, wes back to centres with doogs, and keith lulia OUT!!!!!!!!

perverse

Referee
I really would like to see Kids get a go at halfback - but I would really like more to see is Mullen back in the side (a smithy sidestep) - kids back to fullback, wes back to centres with doogs, and keith lulia OUT!!!!!!!!
i would be ok with kidley "getting a go at halfback" if it wasn't such an important match for us... i.e if we had a few more wins under our belt and were playing a lesser team like canberra or the bunnies... but we're playing a genuine premiership favourite this weekend and the risk of kidley at halfback is very, very high.

as for "giving him a go at halfback" for the blues - i would need to see at least a month of kidley playing halfback and succeeding with his kicking and organising games before i'd be convinced enough to throw him in the sky blue #7.

The Devil

Bench
To be perfectly fair, we were getting a good roll on running out of our half so Kids kicking game wasn't tested.

His short kicking game has always been decent IMO, just his tactical long kicking which is lacking. But if Smith has enough faith to put Kidley at half, I'm prepared to give him a shot.

The Devil

Bench
Back in the Hages era, i always found Kidley to have a few deft touches close to the line, whether it be a small chip or a grubber through. It wasn't the greatest, but it was far from terrible

Johns Magic

Referee
As long as he doesn't f**ken go across field like he always used to.

Catch, run sideways, dummy a million inside-balls, then throw a pass to a guy standing flat who has had to stop so he doesn't get in front of the passer.

Yosh

Coach
I dont get why so much hate for Kids in the halves... I think he wont be THAT bad... I mean he is a different player now under Smith, he isnt the Hages Kidley anymore I think... He should be more then capable covering the 7 position this week... Just I think he is much better where he is at the moment, and Dureau is a much better half back then he is that's all...

He shouldn't be no.7 for NSW either... Should be starting fullback and Buderus starting hooker. Jarrod at 6 and Carney at 7. Farah on the bench (if fit). Sure its no Smith/Thurston/Lockyer/Slater (or whoever) but its the best we got if you ask me. Carney and Jarrod will probably be the future halves and Carney is playing good at the moment should give him a go. Jarrod I am sorry to say hasnt been playing THAT well.. Just okayish, under his potential but will probably improve as time goes on. Dunno... Hopefully it all works out

Jono078

Referee
I dont get why so much hate for Kids in the halves... I think he wont be THAT bad... I mean he is a different player now under Smith, he isnt the Hages Kidley anymore I think... He should be more then capable covering the 7 position this week... Just I think he is much better where he is at the moment, and Dureau is a much better half back then he is that's all...

He shouldn't be no.7 for NSW either... Should be starting fullback and Buderus starting hooker. Jarrod at 6 and Carney at 7. Farah on the bench (if fit). Sure its no Smith/Thurston/Lockyer/Slater (or whoever) but its the best we got if you ask me. Carney and Jarrod will probably be the future halves and Carney is playing good at the moment should give him a go. Jarrod I am sorry to say hasnt been playing THAT well.. Just okayish, under his potential but will probably improve as time goes on. Dunno... Hopefully it all works out
I think it's more the fact that we have a guy in reserves who is quite a capably halfback and is in probably career best form and so is Gidley... playing from the back though.

Hanscholo

Bench
Smith cant suddenly make Kids a decent kicker

Since when can Walsh kick? At least Bailey and Gidley might get it over the defence.

I dont mind the side so much, it is short on field kicking though as has been noted. I am looking forward to seeing more of Bailey in the 6 he was a standout for me last last week.

As long as they keep improving i dont mind how the side is selected too much. If Gidley and Bailey go well it creates a massive headache for Smith. I cant see him leaving Dureau out of the team unless he has to, and Bailey showed more good touches last week than Mullen has had in the entire season so far. Its a tough choice but nice to have some depth at last.

I know Lulia has been heavily criticised and rightly so. His handling and ball distribuition has been poor. What hasnt been mentioned a lot is how well he is defending, that part of his game is pretty solid. If he can sort out his ball playing brain and his hands then he is top prospect. I know a lot hate him, but dont just watch him when he gets a ball thrown at him.

BG

Juniors
Let's be realistic. Two halves down. Don't know of any team in the comp that can cover that situation without some kind of compromise. Gids lack of a kicking and organisational game might well cost us a win. So might Walsh's defence. It's not like the coaching staff don't know where Walsh is at. Or have some ulterior attitude against him. After all he played plenty of NRL last year and has a 3-year deal. And obviously they know what Gids can and cannot do. The problem on paper is that Gids and Bailey bring relatively similar attributes to the party. No doubt there will be a very different game plan to a Dureau-Mullo pairing. Gids-Bailey might lack variety but it's a hell of a running/big-play pairing.

Latest posts