What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanagan Confirmed.

Gareth67

First Grade
Nothing would surprise me , I had already come to the conclusion that Flanagan is merely biding his time and has plans for season 2021 elsewhere . A shame if that is the way it works out , but why bang his head against a impregnable brick wall which is what the J.V’s board is ?

possm

Coach
Don’t be suprised if at the end of his ban Flanagan is back at the Sharks.
I suppose it will all depend on the attitude of the SGI Board and the amount of rubbish he has to put up with from Mary.

I hang on to the fact that it is Shephard and Flanagan that the SGI Board have hired; the GF winning coaching combination. I hope the thinking is that if Mary is sacked early, then Shephard is promoted to interim head coach until the NRL ends Flanagan's ban.

The danger is that the hiring of Flanagan and Shephard is a move to stabalise the coaching staff as a lead in to appointing Dean Young as head coach.

Coffs dragon

Bench
IMO this whole Shane Flanagan 1 year contract has the distinct smell of arse covering only.
Firstly, it buys the imposter peanut coach another year. If the new coaching structure team has success, then Mary will stay on and serve out his contract. The tight arse Board save money and face. I'm sure Flanno would probably then consider options elsewhere, rather than work under his arrogance.

Secondly, if failure does continue and the Board finally flick the moron then I'm certain the next head coach will be Dean Young. I cannot see the NRL reducing the ban on Flanno to allow him to be a head coach. In this scenario, I cannot see Flanno sticking around to be 2nd fiddle to a young rookie coach. He would surely depart to seek opportunity to be a NRL head coach again.
I believe it's a bandaid solution and one that Flanagan will use to springboard his ambitions elsewhere, outside the sheltered workshop.

Last edited:

BBTB

Juniors
I suppose it will all depend on the attitude of the SGI Board and the amount of rubbish he has to put up with from Mary.

I hang on to the fact that it is Shephard and Flanagan that the SGI Board have hired; the GF winning coaching combination. I hope the thinking is that if Mary is sacked early, then Shephard is promoted to interim head coach until the NRL ends Flanagan's ban.

The danger is that the hiring of Flanagan and Shephard is a move to stabalise the coaching staff as a lead in to appointing Dean Young as head coach.
Dean& Daddy Young.
It never ends... Outa the fat & into the :fire:fire.... What a f**kn joke this SGI board is.
Don't think I've ever seen, such a bunch
of imbeciles, pretending to run a Club....

TonyT6

Bench

I only say this because I was talking the other day to one of Flanagans best mates who said he definitely has eyes on returning to the Sharks rather than our head coaching gig.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I only say this because I was talking the other day to one of Flanagans best mates who said he definitely has eyes on returning to the Sharks rather than our head coaching gig.

I hear what your saying and agree, there is no bigger gig of a coach than what we already have, so its only fair to assume Flanagan will look elsewhere after 2020.

The media are now finally onboard and won't let McGregor off the hook this time round.
Either way, 2020 should be a defining year for us.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Again, for the umpteenth time, Flanno had trouble getting indemnity insurance, they only offered 1yr policy, hence the 1yr contract. He wanted longer, but couldnt get the insurance, which all coaches, trainers etc require for registration.
Again, why hire the combo of Flanno and Shepherd? In particular, why head hunt Shepherd from the Knights and then go through all the BS that was required for Flannos re-registration, if only for 1yr?
Go back to what Gould said in his review, in that Mc85 needs an experienced mentor, Shepherd is not that, and consider some of the coaches who haven't got coaching gigs atm, and the question comes back to why go all in on Flanno?
Further, the Sharks finished in the 8 last year under a rookie coach, they are more likely to improve further this year, so why would they suddenly sack him to re-employ Flanno, as what BLM01 said at the expense of some sponsors.
Conspiracy theories abound everywhere, I guess thats why aliens are being experimented on at Area51 right!

Old Timer

Coach
Again, for the umpteenth time, Flanno had trouble getting indemnity insurance, they only offered 1yr policy, hence the 1yr contract. He wanted longer, but couldnt get the insurance, which all coaches, trainers etc require for registration.
Again, why hire the combo of Flanno and Shepherd? In particular, why head hunt Shepherd from the Knights and then go through all the BS that was required for Flannos re-registration, if only for 1yr?
Go back to what Gould said in his review, in that Mc85 needs an experienced mentor, Shepherd is not that, and consider some of the coaches who haven't got coaching gigs atm, and the question comes back to why go all in on Flanno?
Further, the Sharks finished in the 8 last year under a rookie coach, they are more likely to improve further this year, so why would they suddenly sack him to re-employ Flanno, as what BLM01 said at the expense of some sponsors.
Conspiracy theories abound everywhere, I guess thats why aliens are being experimented on at Area51 right!
Plenty of them in here as well and some trying to avoid probing questions without exposing themselves.
I have no doubt that Mc Fookknuckle will see out the next 2 years regardless of results and the Flanno signing only goes to confirm that.

denis preston

First Grade
Haha. Good one Jak. Seriously listening to Flannigan I'm getting a bit excited. Glad he's with us.Hopefully he's with us long term

Really interesting interview. Wouldn't get pigeonholed as purely defense so his involvement will be as we all thought and hoped ( sudo head coach ! )

Looks like the outside backs will be spending extra time to sort their defensive roles.Wonder how Flanagan will react when Mcf**ker keeps picking non performing outside backs , it will be carnage !!

Dragonsamy

Bench
Haha. Good one Jak. Seriously listening to Flannigan I'm getting a bit excited. Glad he's with us.Hopefully he's with us long term

Could not agree more Steve I don't know why I think this but I think this year we will do a lot better than most people think this year . I can see a few things that have been missing returning let's hope it stays that way

Last edited: