What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanagan or Bennett

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
1st Choice A.Griffin
2nd Wayne Bennett if Available
3.Shaun Wane
I would feel comfortable with either Griffin or Bennett.
Even though Shaune Wane is like Wayne Bennett in the ESL, can he replicate his achievements in the NRL?

Don't know if Shaun Wane is like Bennett-seems more like Bellamy in temperament-is tough and can get angry but he seems to inspire people and his players love him. Winning three ESL titles in a row is no mean feat. Is a good business motivational speaker as well.

Looks like Flanno is out of the picture so my order would be (assuming that Wane can bring some Test quality players over with him ) 1 Wane 2 Griffin 3 Toovey

Would you rather the NRL relax the ban on Flanno and have him take over say round 6 signed to a 3 year deal or let Mary see out the year which is a nothing year anyway imo and sign up Bennett for 2021? I personally would prefer Bennett as I believe he has the patience to get the most out of our juniors and also has the pulling power to get us some decent players. Ultimately I would like Shep or Matt Head to take over for the year while we await Bennett. Thoughts?
Out of those two - Bennett all day long.

denis preston

First Grade
You really never know with assistant coaches and how do you really judge them ? Gath Brennan, Ben Hornby, Steve Price Mary & Dean ?? Fitsgibbon may work on the SOO staff but so did Mary ! He also has the luxury of a 3rd party cheated roster and one of the best head coaches going around. Lets not walk down the road that has led us to disaster 3 to 4 times before. Some real good current coaches have had success in the super league and transferred it to NRL so... why not Wane ? ( benefit that he may bring some poms with him ) Would also not demand too much as wants to make a name in the NRL. Otherwise no problems with Bennett.

About time the club resorted to its war chest ( leagues & Win ) to make it happen.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Don't know if Shaun Wane is like Bennett-seems more like Bellamy in temperament-is tough and can get angry but he seems to inspire people and his players love him. Winning three ESL titles in a row is no mean feat. Is a good business motivational speaker as well.

Looks like Flanno is out of the picture so my order would be (assuming that Wane can bring some Test quality players over with him ) 1 Wane 2 Griffin 3 Toovey
Ive seen some interviews with him he seems a funny bastard to me but with plenty of passion and drive, if we signed him first id have to check to make sure I wasn't dreaming, then change my undies I reckon.

TruSaint

Referee

I would take Griffin over Toovey.

Toover did well at manly at 58% win rate, and then bombed at Bradford with 28%. He hasnt cached in the NRL since 2015.

Griffin'd win rates at BNE and Pen are at 53 and 58% respectively. He's only been out of the game since 2019.

Toovey has the passion and agro, but by all accounts Griffin is a disciplinarian. I prefer the later.

Dragons4lyf95

Juniors
Has anyone watched the dragons TV video from about a month ago? Gypsy interviewed Flanno & Dean Young touched base on their bromance & same views they have on footy and the way they coach ect. Wouldn’t be surprised if Dean Young is given the head coach role and working directly together with Flanno

RedVDave

First Grade
Yes, I agree with you RedVDave and particularly what you said about whenever Bennett leaves a club he leaves behind a lot of destruction, which I have already mentioned in a different thread. Unfortunately, Jason Demetriou will suffer the same fate in my opinion.

We definitely need a coach that will help attract better players, ones that want to come to play for the club and not just for the money. Bring back the excitement into our numbed bodies resulting from most of the pitiful games we have had with Mary at the wheel.

Whether or not the gods are with us to grant us the wish for Mary to be sacked and a person like Flanagan to take over is questionable. Is it because we are just not Saintly enough nowadays?

Yes I did see your earlier post very well said but history speaks for itself. I think Souths have made a massive blunder with this decision, which will hopefully see us return to the lol@50uffs days. But more importantly we need to get our next coach right we simply cannot afford more rebuilding phases and mess left to clean up we need a good long term coach and we need it now.

getsmarty

Immortal
League boss makes call on Shane Flanagan controversy

Australian Associated Press
Yahoo Sport Australia4 Jun 2020, 4:06 pm
281854c0-a627-11ea-a7ff-1df2973eb834

View photos
Peter V'landys has squashed suggestions Shane Flanagan could have his head-coaching ban reduced, effectively ruling him out as a possible early replacement for besieged St George Illawarra mentor Paul McGregor.

Flanagan is banned[/a] from becoming a head coach again until 2022 after violating the rules of a previous suspension over his role in the Sharks' supplements scandal.

"He (Flanagan) has to serve the penalty he's been given and there's no reason at this stage to change that penalty," ARLC chairman V'landys told 2GB radio on Thursday.

Despite being contracted until the end of 2021, McGregor is under enormous pressure to turn around his winless and under-performing team before the next Dragons club board meeting later this month.

With their annual Queen's Birthday clash against fellow strugglers Canterbury not until Monday, the Dragons have had plenty of time to reflect on being held scoreless by the Warriors.

"We know what we need to fix," said star forward Tariq Sims.

"Some individuals, we need to step up as players and really drag the team morale up this week. Sometimes the long turnarounds can be quite frustrating. (But) it's a mind shift thing."

Sims insisted there had been plenty of plain talking done as they search for answers.

"It's not like we pussy-foot around the questions at training. We definitely deal with the situations and things we need to deal with throughout the week," he said.

"We sit in our theatrette and we have open conversations.

Dragons hoping reshuffle brings better results
"Not like we yell at each other or play the blame game, it's a game with 17 players that all need to band together to get the one job done. There's no fighting."

McGregor has responded to the defeat by moving Corey Norman to fullback at the expense of Matt Dufty, and handing a debut to playmaker Adam Clune.

29c28ce0-a628-11ea-8daf-f4d04e1f83e7

View photos
Veteran prop James Graham, who was disappointed with his individual performance against the Warriors, appeared disillusioned with the criticism the Dragons are copping.

"Whichever way the wind blows, the media will get some seed from this," he said.

"You make changes and it's seen as panic. You don't, and it's seen as sticking with the wrong team. Whatever you guys are going to say, you're going to say.

"It doesn't really matter what the coach did, it's going to be met negatively."

Talk of Shane Flanagan (R) replacing Paul McGregor at the Dragons has ramped up over the last week. Pic: Getty
James Graham is dismayed by the negativity around the Dragons in 2020. Pic: Getty

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/nrl-sha...no-head-coaching-ban-reduction-060638540.html

possm

Coach
League boss makes call on Shane Flanagan controversy

Australian Associated Press
Yahoo Sport Australia4 Jun 2020, 4:06 pm
281854c0-a627-11ea-a7ff-1df2973eb834

View photos
Peter V'landys has squashed suggestions Shane Flanagan could have his head-coaching ban reduced, effectively ruling him out as a possible early replacement for besieged St George Illawarra mentor Paul McGregor.

Flanagan is banned[/a] from becoming a head coach again until 2022 after violating the rules of a previous suspension over his role in the Sharks' supplements scandal.

"He (Flanagan) has to serve the penalty he's been given and there's no reason at this stage to change that penalty," ARLC chairman V'landys told 2GB radio on Thursday.

Despite being contracted until the end of 2021, McGregor is under enormous pressure to turn around his winless and under-performing team before the next Dragons club board meeting later this month.

With their annual Queen's Birthday clash against fellow strugglers Canterbury not until Monday, the Dragons have had plenty of time to reflect on being held scoreless by the Warriors.

"We know what we need to fix," said star forward Tariq Sims.

"Some individuals, we need to step up as players and really drag the team morale up this week. Sometimes the long turnarounds can be quite frustrating. (But) it's a mind shift thing."

Sims insisted there had been plenty of plain talking done as they search for answers.

"It's not like we pussy-foot around the questions at training. We definitely deal with the situations and things we need to deal with throughout the week," he said.

"We sit in our theatrette and we have open conversations.

Dragons hoping reshuffle brings better results
"Not like we yell at each other or play the blame game, it's a game with 17 players that all need to band together to get the one job done. There's no fighting."

McGregor has responded to the defeat by moving Corey Norman to fullback at the expense of Matt Dufty, and handing a debut to playmaker Adam Clune.

29c28ce0-a628-11ea-8daf-f4d04e1f83e7

View photos
Veteran prop James Graham, who was disappointed with his individual performance against the Warriors, appeared disillusioned with the criticism the Dragons are copping.

"Whichever way the wind blows, the media will get some seed from this," he said.

"You make changes and it's seen as panic. You don't, and it's seen as sticking with the wrong team. Whatever you guys are going to say, you're going to say.

"It doesn't really matter what the coach did, it's going to be met negatively."

Talk of Shane Flanagan (R) replacing Paul McGregor at the Dragons has ramped up over the last week. Pic: Getty
James Graham is dismayed by the negativity around the Dragons in 2020. Pic: Getty

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/nrl-sha...no-head-coaching-ban-reduction-060638540.html
So for me it should be Sheppard as interim coach with Flanagans his assistant. In 2022 Flanagan takes over as head coach on a 3 year deal.