What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's back

Dragon David

First Grade
Yep and probably target some of our better pathway juniors, having been the list management advisor for the Dragons in 2022.
He’d certainly have some inside knowledge whom to target.
I'm getting the feeling and picture that there are some disgruntled Bulldogs players in amongst the squad. New guys like Burton, Tevita-Pangai Jnr maybe even Naden and some others who came to the club to be coached by Barrett. Now that he has gone, they could ask for early releases.

The Bulldogs culture has changed dramatically in the past 3-4 years. The club wants to get players to be wanting to play for the Bulldogs. Just like our club should make sure of.

Flanagan has been at the Dragons under Mary and now as List Manager under a contract I think would include him being able to terminate if a full time head coaching job became available. I just don't think that the Dragons has been the club he wants to coach at. He has been targeted for sure to be at the Bulldogs and one lure is of course his son that the Club would say to Flano that if you come to coach us, Young Kyle can stay as their half. It will be a great challenge for Flano and he has more ability as a coach than Trent and several others in the wings. Just my opinion.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Be careful what you wish for, Flanno was there as the AC, not much happened, he is there now and not much is happening either. As i have posted before leave hook until seasons end but we head hunt Bellamy at all costs, we get him out of that consultancy agreement with the storm, and get him here, sure it will cost a lot of $ a real lot, but we have all seen what the end result is not spending bugger all on the most important person will do. Besides if Flanno was so in demand he wouldnt have a job with us would he.
There is a cap on how much you can spend in the football department. Also, it's not like buying a car you just pay what it costs. Why would Bellamy want to coach the Dragons?

Dragon David

First Grade
Not sure if there’s a player in the game that would go to a club just to be coached by Barrett.
There are lots who would agree with you Banger, me included. The money is the key in most cases. When clubs like ours are seen to be not going anywhere, the only way to get players is to offer bigger sums of money. We are learning not to do this anymore which is great.

justadragon

Bench
There is a cap on how much you can spend in the football department. Also, it's not like buying a car you just pay what it costs. Why would Bellamy want to coach the Dragons?
Take your point, I was under the impression that coaches salary do not come under any cap. And in answer to your other question, why would anyone want to coach the Dragons, seriously atm our only attraction is money and maybe a bloody good challenge .

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Take your point, I was under the impression that coaches salary do not come under any cap. And in answer to your other question, why would anyone want to coach the Dragons, seriously atm our only attraction is money and maybe a bloody good challenge .
The problem is justa - "when you are on a good thing, stick to it". Look at the long serving coaches we have - Bellamy, Robinson, Arthur, Stuart, was Mary, now Cleary, they all seem to want to be in one place for a long period and not get out of their comfort zone.

Bennett has been good as a challenger after his long stint at the Broncos from 1988-2008. He has been to I think 4 different clubs since then and for all intents and purposes has met challenges at each of those clubs. The Dolphins will be his 5th club. So at least he has given it a go. I cannot see Bellamy, Robinson and Cleary changing clubs.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The Dogs will now be sniffing around Flanno and with him in charge of the roster at Saints, if he does go there will be targeting our juniors for sure.

I think Saints may be pushed to make a call on Hook and get Flanno in sooner rather than later, that is if it is their plan. I had a feeling his appointment was there to put some heat on Hook so he can be the ready made replacement.

justadragon

Bench
The problem is justa - "when you are on a good thing, stick to it". Look at the long serving coaches we have - Bellamy, Robinson, Arthur, Stuart, was Mary, now Cleary, they all seem to want to be in one place for a long period and not get out of their comfort zone.

Bennett has been good as a challenger after his long stint at the Broncos from 1988-2008. He has been to I think 4 different clubs since then and for all intents and purposes has met challenges at each of those clubs. The Dolphins will be his 5th club. So at least he has given it a go. I cannot see Bellamy, Robinson and Cleary changing clubs.
yep agree, you can forget about Cleary for the next 5 years, but something just makes me wonder that if Bellamy has completed his coaching at the Storm , he really has nothing more to prove, but if he could do a Bennett and win a premiership at another club, well maybe there might just be a flicker of hope, just an ember, ok a spark maybe :))

Trifili13

Juniors
yep agree, you can forget about Cleary for the next 5 years, but something just makes me wonder that if Bellamy has completed his coaching at the Storm , he really has nothing more to prove, but if he could do a Bennett and win a premiership at another club, well maybe there might just be a flicker of hope, just an ember, ok a spark maybe :))
Can't see Bellamy coming to the Dragons under any circumstances. People can correct me if I am wrong but we had a half decent squad that needed a few tweeks which Bennett did and bought us a premiership. Bennett even gave Brown some of the credit if I recall correctly. Are we in a similar situation now of just needing a few tweeks to be title contenders as top line coaches don't normally go to basket cases or clubs needing a rebuild. Bennett going to the Dolphins will allow him to build the roster he wants without having to get rid of the deadwood that would be required at a club like the Dragons. Whether he brings success is another question.

Dragon David

First Grade
There is no doubting that at Cronulla, Flanagan did pretty good. We know that he hasn't coached first grade for sometime because of his de-registration indefinitely in December, 2018 after an investigation revealed he had communicated with the Sharks while already serving a previous 12-month ban for the club's peptide scandal.

In 2018, 4 years ago, young Kyle was playing in the lower grades at Cronulla and Shane was most probably overseeing his progression but didn't have any chance of coaching him in first grade because of his suspension. We know that Shane came to the Dragons to help Mary out in 2020 for that year only and has again joined the club as the List Manager this year (2022).

Now that Kyle is playing first grade, I don't think that Shane is wanting to coach at another NRL team for a couple of reasons - (1) If he coaches at say the Dragons or another club, he would be coaching against Kyle, (2) If he coaches at the Bulldogs he will feel in a way to want to put Kyle in first grade which would be seen as a form of nepotism or a conflict of interest, unless and it is a big unless that Kyle gets to a standard like Nathan Cleary so that the fans would not object. That is the same for Eel's Jakob Arthur, Brad Arthur's son. Billy Walters is playing quite good so Kevin Walters can justify him playing in first grade at the Broncos.

If Kyle goes to say Super League, then Shane will coach first grade. My thoughts and they could be way off. Others on the forum might like to comment.

BLM01

First Grade
There is no doubting that at Cronulla, Flanagan did pretty good. We know that he hasn't coached first grade for sometime because of his de-registration indefinitely in December, 2018 after an investigation revealed he had communicated with the Sharks while already serving a previous 12-month ban for the club's peptide scandal.

In 2018, 4 years ago, young Kyle was playing in the lower grades at Cronulla and Shane was most probably overseeing his progression but didn't have any chance of coaching him in first grade because of his suspension. We know that Shane came to the Dragons to help Mary out in 2020 for that year only and has again joined the club as the List Manager this year (2022).

Now that Kyle is playing first grade, I don't think that Shane is wanting to coach at another NRL team for a couple of reasons - (1) If he coaches at say the Dragons or another club, he would be coaching against Kyle, (2) If he coaches at the Bulldogs he will feel in a way to want to put Kyle in first grade which would be seen as a form of nepotism or a conflict of interest, unless and it is a big unless that Kyle gets to a standard like Nathan Cleary so that the fans would not object. That is the same for Eel's Jakob Arthur, Brad Arthur's son. Billy Walters is playing quite good so Kevin Walters can justify him playing in first grade at the Broncos.

If Kyle goes to say Super League, then Shane will coach first grade. My thoughts and they could be way off. Others on the forum might like to comment.
If Flanno did not get sacked from the Sharks he would of been coaching against his son playing for the Roosters. Cleary did it at the Tigers. Bennett did it at Souths against Darius.
It is not a big issue as you say.

BLM01

First Grade
The Dogs will now be sniffing around Flanno and with him in charge of the roster at Saints, if he does go there will be targeting our juniors for sure.

I think Saints may be pushed to make a call on Hook and get Flanno in sooner rather than later, that is if it is their plan. I had a feeling his appointment was there to put some heat on Hook so he can be the ready made replacement.
The smokie is Freddy. Flanno is the media obvious one being trotted out.

Gareth67

First Grade
On Monday old Gus said ( with his fingers crossed behind his back ) that Freddy the Fiddler was one of the options they were looking at , however 1 day later he seems to believe that Flanagan could be the chosen one to become the Doggies 5th coach in 5 seasons ! 😳

Last edited:
If Flanno did not get sacked from the Sharks he would of been coaching against his son playing for the Roosters. Cleary did it at the Tigers. Bennett did it at Souths against Darius.
It is not a big issue as you say.
False.
Flanno jnr had signed a two year extension with the Sharks, after Snr was suspended by the NRL he (jnr) was coached by Morris but asked for a release whilst he was still signed to the Sharks, and while Morris was coach.

Latest posts