What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's New Signings

Crush

Coach
I cant remember if he was playing centre or back row but at the start of 2021, Jack Bird looked really good in attack out wide. I remember thinking he was one of the few weapons we had in attack, a true footballer. Then last season he was consistently one of our absolute worst players, a liability, if he played, we lost, no questions.
Will Flanno be able to get Bird firing as a centre? I reckon he may. Obviously he will never be fast, but he could be very aggressive. Also, it would stop him crabbing around looking for fights in the middle. I reckon with Bird keep it really simple, beat your man, put winger in space, make your tackles.

thebigredv

First Grade
I’m reading we would have to swap a Su’a, F Molo or JDB in a bid to get AFB. To me this defeats much of the purpose of bringing him over. We have huge coffers having not landed any decent signings lately. We have a weak squad with little depth. Am I being unreasonable to think we can get Manu and/or Dearden plus AFB for the exchange for our traitor captain??

If things are done right we can have all three for the loss of Hunt and maybe a plodder or two.

Still no signings for Flanno. At what point do we panic?

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
I’m reading we would have to swap a Su’a, F Molo or JDB in a bid to get AFB. To me this defeats much of the purpose of bringing him over. We have huge coffers having not landed any decent signings lately. We have a weak squad with little depth. Am I being unreasonable to think we can get Manu and/or Dearden plus AFB for the exchange for our traitor captain??

If things are done right we can have all three for the loss of Hunt and maybe a plodder or two.

Still no signings for Flanno. At what point do we panic?

Dragon David

First Grade
AFB for me was initially an add on to our squad for 2025 and not needing subtractions because the swap of a couple of our players for him equals fail in my algebraic calculations and conclusion. If we cannot get this once a Dragons big fella without any trades then to me it will be a waste of time and resources. Whichever club eventually lands him, they will want results and just maybe, like many "in demand" players, he might just go through the motions.

Just imagine if the Warriors didn't restrict AFB only to negotiate with the Sydney based clubs and allow clubs in Queensland, Victoria and Newcastle/Canberra. How complicated would that be to finalise any deal. It would be like people applying for a job where tens have applied and the company has to whittle it down to a short list of 5 etc. Big decisions.

Whichever club lands AFB, it will be like winning first prize in Oz Lotto all by themselves.

justadragon

Bench
My question that is revolving around AFB and the current circus is, at what stage do we call this quits and focus on the achievable ? I mean lets be reasonable, if he doesnt want to come here for all the right reasons and just wants to chase the cash, then F*&k you. His manger will obviously be trying to price gouge and then we have to contend with a demanding club as well. On top of this our snivelling little halfback will start agitating that the club has bought no one and the merrygoround continues.

Surely we don’t give up Su’a for AFB.
I mean, unless Su’a was definitely leaving anyway.
Getting AFB and losing Su’a wouldn’t move the dial for us. We need AFB to join Su’a.
"Surely" - it appears we can't control the dynamics
Like a 3 month game of chess on steroids.
A bloody long time between moves and stressful waiting for the outcomes.
But at least its the off-season and we don't have to contend with LOSING every weekend

Now, that a positive

Plus we've signed Eisenhuth who's another backrower. I'd be more worried that signing Blore would mean Jack Bird is playing centre fulltime which is a rather scary proposition.

Corey Allan is still unsigned. Not a world beater but surely a better centre option than Bird, and can play fullback too. Any takers?
Possibly a better full back than what we currently have

rasaint

Juniors
I am a big supporter of Jayden Sua. He is a top line backrower. I trust we go all out to retain him. Injuries yes ( hip drop busted ankle 2022 by JWH which judiciary said wasn’t ?) and shoulder last season hampered him. However, with Hunt the only two genuine top liners.

We must have a huge warchest in the millions with all we have let go.
Two and two adds to 5. Yet, I will be surprised if we sign anyone of note, including 2025. Not sure if residing in the gong so far down the coast is simply a bit too far away for players?

Looking at the rosters of the top gun clubs and you wonder ‘how do they fit under the cap’?

since77

Juniors
I am a big supporter of Jayden Sua. He is a top line backrower. I trust we go all out to retain him. Injuries yes ( hip drop busted ankle 2022 by JWH which judiciary said wasn’t ?) and shoulder last season hampered him. However, with Hunt the only two genuine top liners.

We must have a huge warchest in the millions with all we have let go.
Two and two adds to 5. Yet, I will be surprised if we sign anyone of note, including 2025. Not sure if residing in the gong so far down the coast is simply a bit too far away for players?

Looking at the rosters of the top gun clubs and you wonder ‘how do they fit under the cap’?
Yeah I'm a big fan of S'ua. Its been a shame to see him stuck in the middle of our powder puff forward pack for the last few years. If Flanno can score (or develop from within) a decent forward or two to help him S'ua will only get better. He'd be a priority to re-sign if I were in charge.

Parko1310

Juniors
What's the obsession with JDB? He's getting on and is just a reminder of some of the darkest days in Dragons history. He can defend well, but his days as a good ball playing middle are completely over. He now stunts the attack because of how predictable it is he's going out the back every single time within 20m of the line. If we had no one that could do his job in the longer term I'd question moving him to the Warriors more, but Toby Couchman is similarly reliable in defence, is young and has a ton of potential. In my opinion both he and his brother have every chance of being origin reps in the future. Time to move on from JDB, especially if we get AFB in return. That is a clear win that trade.