What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's New Signings

Gomarchin

Juniors
Cast your minds back a few months when Ryles pulled out at the last minute. We all had a meltdown but things worked out better (IMO) with Flanno coming in.

This could be a similar situation, right?

Nah, who am I kidding. We're a basket case and no topline players want to come here :(

smileyrayray

Juniors
So disappointed about missing out on AFB. I know 4.5mill over 4 years is potentially risky for a 29 year old, but fact is he is a star. Anyone know what other options we have for 2025?

As much as I love Flanno, his passion and activity so far, he really needs to stop getting our hopes up through the media. I know he is part of the media but still... needs to keep quite once a while.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
The joint venture is not working , split the joint either back to St George or Illawarra Steelers , ...... It can't keep going like this .......
Agree mate. It makes it so unattractive for a 20 something year old kid to join a team in Wollongong and have to travel 2 hours a day if they live in Sydney. Meanwhile you can get the same money living in Sydney. Enjoy the night life and all the shit the young kids get up to in this awesome city. The only way this team will come good is if they have a team of superstars from the Illawarra. But unfortunately, I can’t remember the last gun player from down there

be55

Juniors
Guys it’s been a day of mixed results

But you know what, when we wake up tomorrow the sun will rise again

Flanno may unearth or develop 2-3 juniors this season. Anything is possible.

Sarcastic Yes Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Dragon David

First Grade

we lose Amone

no Dearden or AFB

"But you know what, when we wake up tomorrow the sun will rise again"
Sorry Saints Forever - forecast here where I am is for rain and clouds and no sun tomorrow. I can't win. :(

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors

we lose Amone

no Dearden or AFB

I admire your optimism, but it hasn't been a day of mixed results. It's been an unequivocal disaster. Right now our back-up half/five-eight is Paul Turner. Let that sink in for a bit. At the start of the 2023 season, our forward pack was ranked the worst in the NRL by Fox Sports - and as of now it's no better than last year. Our captain wanted out because the team was going backwards, it is still going backwards and I imagine he will be on the phone to his manager even as I write . The only good thing you can say about our roster acquisitions is that they wouldn't have cost much. AFB has re-inforced the notion that it is a club that decent players should steer clear of. I don't know how the club digs itself out of this hole. I very much doubt the current board and management can.

So when you say anything is possible, and that new juniors may be unearthed, yes that is true. But then consider the last three juniors we had high hopes for, how one has left, one has been banned, and one has been found wanting in first grade. Other promising juniors like Treigh Stewart and Zach Herring have left for other clubs. I really don't see anything positive at the moment. I'd like to see some sort of statement from the club as to how they intend to address the issues going into the future, but I suspect all we'll get is a statement from Webby along the lines of " obviously things haven't gone as well as we'd like . . ". In short, if this was a company, I wouldn't be investing in their stock. They're still trading on good will, but even that has its limits.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Agree mate. It makes it so unattractive for a 20 something year old kid to join a team in Wollongong and have to travel 2 hours a day if they live in Sydney. Meanwhile you can get the same money living in Sydney. Enjoy the night life and all the shit the young kids get up to in this awesome city. The only way this team will come good is if they have a team of superstars from the Illawarra. But unfortunately, I can’t remember the last gun player from down there
If that was the case, North Queensland, Newcastle and Canberra wouldn't have any young players.

I admire your optimism, but it hasn't been a day of mixed results. It's been an unequivocal disaster. Right now our back-up half/five-eight is Paul Turner. Let that sink in for a bit. At the start of the 2023 season, our forward pack was ranked the worst in the NRL by Fox Sports - and as of now it's no better than last year. Our captain wanted out because the team was going backwards, it is still going backwards and I imagine he will be on the phone to his manager even as I write . The only good thing you can say about our roster acquisitions is that they wouldn't have cost much. AFB has re-inforced the notion that it is a club that decent players should steer clear of. I don't know how the club digs itself out of this hole. I very much doubt the current board and management can.

So when you say anything is possible, and that new juniors may be unearthed, yes that is true. But then consider the last three juniors we had high hopes for, how one has left, one has been banned, and one has been found wanting in first grade. Other promising juniors like Treigh Stewart and Zach Herring have left for other clubs. I really don't see anything positive at the moment. I'd like to see some sort of statement from the club as to how they intend to address the issues going into the future, but I suspect all we'll get is a statement from Webby along the lines of " obviously things haven't gone as well as we'd like . . ". In short, if this was a company, I wouldn't be investing in their stock. They're still trading on good will, but even that has its limits.
I hear you Johnno, but the way I see it is we can either role around in the foetal position, or get to work on improving the players we have.

I know our halves depth is poor. Several clubs have stockpiled promising halves without any idea as to whether they will reach NRL standard.

With Amone about to be deregistered if Weidler can be believed, there is an opening for either one of our juniors to step up or for a disaffected player from another club to seek a release.

Jr was in many ways a disappointment for most of his tenure. Bud was constantly injured. It’s up to recruitment to find a diamond in the rough.

We have a host of young forwards coming through.

Last season we lost quite a few games by 6 points or less.

I simply don’t think it’s as dire as most people do.

The squad was split as a result of Griffin favouring various players. I expect Flanno will give everyone a chance based on their merits.

I expect consistent effort by a materially fitter squad. Many playing for a new contract.

Go the mighty red V !!!

BIG RIG

Juniors
So as of right now our 2024 squad looks like this

1. Tyrell Sloan ( 2024 )
2. Mathew Feagai ( 2024 )
3. Zac Lomax ( 2026 )
4. Moses Suli ( 2024 )
5. Mikaele Ravalawa ( 2026 )
6. Kyle Flanagan ( 2025 )
7. Ben Hunt ( C ) ( 2025 )
8. Blake Lawrie ( 2026 )
9. Jacob Liddle ( 2025 )
10. Francis Molo ( 2024 )
11. Jack Bird ( 2025 )
12. Jaydn Su’a ( 2024 )
13. Jack De Belin ( 2024 )
BENCH
14. Michael Molo ( 2024 )
15. Ben Murdoch - Masila ( 2024 )
16. Hame Sele ( 2026 )
17. Toby Couchman ( 2025 )
RESERVES
18. Ryan Couchman ( 2025 )
19. Savelio Tamale ( 2024 )
20. Sione Finau ( 2025 )
21. Villiami Fifita ( 2024 )
22. Alec Tuitavake ( 2024 )
23. Paul Turner ( 2024 )
24. Dan Russell ( 2024 )
25. Max Feagai ( 2024 )
26. Corey Allan ( 2024 )
27. Tom Eisenhuth ( 2024 )

Well Flanno is gonna have to do with what he has got and what he has got is not to crash hot

Even more interesting is that 16 out of our 27 players are off contract at the end of next yr

I would suspect that players such as Paul Turner , BMM and Max Feagai will be moved on as they were trying to be moved on this year

Sadly I don’t think Su’a will re - sign and Ben Hunt will definitely leave as Flanno has delivered on nothing he had promised him

Suli even though it’s reported he has re-signed it’s still in the 10 day period if true so he could potentially back out

Hopefully the likes of Tamale , Fifita and Tuitavake get some first grade time and turn out to be solid first graders

Jury is still out on Sloane and Mat Feagai , imo of they don’t perform this year they should be moved on

obviously jury is still out on Allan and Eisenhuth has they have not played yet

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I hear you Johnno, but the way I see it is we can either role around in the foetal position, or get to work on improving the players we have.

I know our halves depth is poor. Several clubs have stockpiled promising halves without any idea as to whether they will reach NRL standard.

With Amone about to be deregistered if Weidler can be believed, there is an opening for either one of our juniors to step up or for a disaffected player from another club to seek a release.

Jr was in many ways a disappointment for most of his tenure. Bud was constantly injured. It’s up to recruitment to find a diamond in the rough.

We have a host of young forwards coming through.

Last season we lost quite a few games by 6 points or less.

I simply don’t think it’s as dire as most people do.

The squad was split as a result of Griffin favouring various players. I expect Flanno will give everyone a chance based on their merits.

I expect consistent effort by a materially fitter squad. Many playing for a new contract.

Go the mighty red V !!!
If the plan was to work on improving the players we have, well and good, and I would have supported that plan. But it wasn't the plan. The plan was to get Manu, then Dearden and Connor Tracey then Wellsby and AFB and have Amone as backup. So the plan has failed dismally. And now we revert to Plan B while every other club is on their Plan A and we are already behind the eight-ball with no other players we are chasing on the market.

I'm not ready to give up on the club yet, and I'm certainly not going to curl up in the foetal position, but I reserve my right to criticise the club for what looks like ineptitude, and for being at least two steps behind every other club in NRL land. It's not good enough.

Illusion

Bench
If the plan was to work on improving the players we have, well and good, and I would have supported that plan. But it wasn't the plan. The plan was to get Manu, then Dearden and Connor Tracey then Wellsby and AFB and have Amone as backup. So the plan has failed dismally. And now we revert to Plan B while every other club is on their Plan A and we are already behind the eight-ball with no other players we are chasing on the market.

I'm not ready to give up on the club yet, and I'm certainly not going to curl up in the foetal position, but I reserve my right to criticise the club for what looks like ineptitude, and for being at least two steps behind every other club in NRL land. It's not good enough.
Yep we are all still waiting ......

Attachments

• Me-Waiting--And-Waiting-vhEJr.jpg
    Me-Waiting--And-Waiting-vhEJr.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts