What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's New Signings

The Word

Juniors
I just watched a couple of Warriors games involving Ronald Volkman and he's a long way off being a regular 1st grader. His kicking game is really solid but his attack, organization and defence are works in progress. The Warriors played him pretty wide in defence, at times outside his centre. He did ok as a supporting 5/8 playing with Johnson in Round 5 but really had low involvement, just kicks and a bit of dummy half - it was his first game for the Warriors, I understand that but he must have been under instructions to take it easy, let Johnson run the show. The other game (no Johnson) in the 7 jersey supporting Te Maire Martin in the 6 he was pretty poor really, with the Dolphins targeting him in defence a bit and showing him up rather badly (Bennett exploits a weakness like no other). He offered nothing in attack or working plays but again his kicking was pretty good. Short and stocky and underdone in the fitness stakes but could be handy in reserves and maybe a game or two alongside Hunt to ease him into 1sts. I'd be worried if we ran him and Kyle on as our halves, that could be disastrous in a headless chook kinda way.
Thanks for the insight Kit66. All the more reason why it was important to hang on to Ben Hunt for 2024 while Flanagan coaches and assesses his half combination.

I know most on here talk as if they would like to shoot Hunt on sight, and I understand why they have the sh.ts, however he's been our best player for a while and we need him running through brick walls for us next year to help Flanagan make the changes he needs to make. I'll be getting behind him as a fan in 2024. That's the best way we can help to get the best out of a player.

Last edited:

Dragsters

First Grade
I might be completely wrong fellas, sorry as seeing that the Warriors have agreed to release Volkmann as per their website, I don't know what the reason for the hold up by our club announcing the signing!?
Have I missed something? Interestingly no mention of a release with a return clause or loan situation as previously reported...

Dragon David

First Grade
Have I missed something? Interestingly no mention of a release with a return clause or loan situation as previously reported...
The Warriors have granted Volkman a release of his contract to link up with a Sydney club with no apparent conditions as far as I can glean from the Warriors statement on their website. That statement was issued on the 24th December 2023 and allowing for time off for media staff etc over the festive season, an official announcement may not come out until the week starting the 6th January 2024.

The Daily Telegraph reported Volkman has been released from the final two years of his Warriors deal to link with the Dragons in time for next season on a one-year deal.

steerlerbab

Juniors
The Warriors have granted Volkman a release of his contract to link up with a Sydney club with no apparent conditions as far as I can glean from the Warriors statement on their website. That statement was issued on the 24th December 2023 and allowing for time off for media staff etc over the festive season, an official announcement may not come out until the week starting the 6th January 2024.

The Daily Telegraph reported Volkman has been released from the final two years of his Warriors deal to link with the Dragons in time for next season on a one-year deal.
We should wait until there is an announcement by our club. At the moment our club is being used by player managers to get the best deal for their clients.

How many times we have heard the following: Player X toured our facilities, Player X lunched with our officials. Media reports it is done deal for Player X. Suddenly player X signs with another club. We google it for hours and cannot find one mention of Player X talking to that other club until it was signed. Then media writes "Dragons missed again" and "Player signed for less because they want to win comp" (!?). Only Panthers, Broncos and Melbourne can win the comp the two years with the roster they have.

Dragon David

First Grade
We should wait until there is an announcement by our club. At the moment our club is being used by player managers to get the best deal for their clients.

How many times we have heard the following: Player X toured our facilities, Player X lunched with our officials. Media reports it is done deal for Player X. Suddenly player X signs with another club. We google it for hours and cannot find one mention of Player X talking to that other club until it was signed. Then media writes "Dragons missed again" and "Player signed for less because they want to win comp" (!?). Only Panthers, Broncos and Melbourne can win the comp the two years with the roster they have.
Yes, I didn't want to say it, but maybe the Sydney club isn't the Dragons.

Dragon David

First Grade
Probably. I think this one is a bit different to AFB though.
I hope so Crush. Not that Volkman is of significant quality, but if he actually doesn't get confirmed as a signing by us, we will look bloody stupid again. I guess this is why a lot of us are getting the shits because he hasn't been confirmed. Not even Wikipedia has him coming to us but we know that that source isn't reliable.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Went to one of those fan meetings at StGeorge Leagues Club, someone asked the question, why does it take ages for us to announce a signing, after the media has mentioned it, Webb said that they will not announce it until all the T's are crossed and I's are dotted, if any cooling off periods are in existence or if NRL has to approve it, we wont announce till its all 100% signed sealed and delivered..

Dragon David

First Grade
Went to one of those fan meetings at StGeorge Leagues Club, someone asked the question, why does it take ages for us to announce a signing, after the media has mentioned it, Webb said that they will not announce it until all the T's are crossed and I's are dotted, if any cooling off periods are in existence or if NRL has to approve it, we wont announce till its all 100% signed sealed and delivered..
Fair enough!

possm

Coach
I'd say, we are on the nose with many key player managers. We need to address this situation immediately. I'm sure someone other than Flannagan is negotiating these deals and it is time that our CEO and Board put a stop to it. The days when the likes of Doust, Young, Haran, and Millward had anything to do with recruitment should no longer be the case. I'd also be interested in finding out if Millard was Flannagan's choice for a new recruitment officer.

Maybe it is again the case of key figures at the Club wanting to make the deals rather than doing what is in the best interest of the Club. Whoever it is doing the deals right now, should be stood down for incompetence.

Latest posts