What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FO Kearney

JJ

Immortal
Did his team win and which club?
The Eels, and yes they won - he inherited the Sterling, Kenny, Cronin, Grothe etc team,. think it was 86, Price and Cronin's last game?

EDIT - just checked, yep the 86 Grand Final - great Eels team beat Warren Ryan's great Dogs team 4-2, Sterlo with the first Churchill Medal - Monie's third year after Jack Gibson

Last edited:

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
The Eels, and yes they won - he inherited the Sterling, Kenny, Cronin, Grothe etc team,. think it was 86, Price and Cronin's last game?
Oh ok. That was just before I started watching NRL. I can barely remember watching Stirlo and Kenny play. I dont think I saw any of Grothe and Cronins games.

No wonder there was big wraps on Monie when he got the Warriors job.

JJ

Immortal
Oh ok. That was just before I started watching NRL. I can barely remember watching Stirlo and Kenny play. I dont think I saw any of Grothe and Cronins games.

No wonder there was big wraps on Monie when he got the Warriors job.

Yeah, then he'd had huge success at Wigan...

Guess the caveat was Sterlo, Kenny, Price, Cronin, Ella, Grothe and just 1 premiership (although the Dogs sides were awesome too), and anyone could coach Wigan to win in that era (yeah, a sly dig at Lowie)

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Wow, wanting Cronulla or the Warriors to win hasn't worked out well LOL - guess it makes last year even more special!
Well

Cronulla - f**k yeah!

Then
Warriors or Panthers - that would be cool

Then
Cowboys, Titans, Raiders, Knights, Eels, Roosters, Tigers, Dogs - good luck to them

Then
Illawarra, Storm - meh, not so good

Then
Broncos, Souths - Makes for a bad year

Then just f**king never, ever, ever
Manly

Did I mention I hate Manly?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Reactions: JJ

Blair

Coach
It would be ridiculous if we see SJ again this year for dead rubber matches. I doubt we will, medicos wouldn't allow it - although SK seems to know better than them.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11893540

Interesting read...

It sounds like they mean well, just can't execute. Or, as they say in the movies, 'the brain writes cheques the body can't cash'.

Just being a nitpicking nerd...That fourth picture from the article ('Kearney talks to the team at halftime') is not from the game in question. It has Gubb there and they're in different jerseys. Correct?

Cold Roses

Juniors

It is interesting. Contradicts a few areas that are being touted about Kearney.

Particularly of note to me was at halftime he warns them about Penriths running halves. What went on to happen? They shredded us. Is that the coaches fault? Or the players? Would the message have gotten across if he had yelled it at them? Waved his hands around? Given an 'Independence Day' epic speech?

There has been a fair bit of assertion on here that his monotone delivery and speaking style is the problem. That's rubbish to me. It's a 26 round completion. That other stuff doesn't necessarily work every week. And we don't know for a fact that it doesn't happen behind closed doors.

"How much does tonight mean to you?," he asks his team. "How much? You tell me?"

Some players don't meet Kearney's gaze, but a few answers come back; 'heaps', 'everything', 'a lot'."

May as well replace the bolded with "Some players don't give a shit"

Sums it up for me. I don't know how good a coach Kearney is yet, or will become, but I'm pretty sure some of the cattle he's working with just aren't up to it.

Warriorsoul

Juniors
Reading that, the half time is about generalities: make sure we complete our sets. Oh they're kicking to Ken, that's cool. Any ideas anyone?

I am glad to hear that he is a bit more passionate in the sheds though...

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Interesting tonight

10 to go, down 6 with the last hopes of the season on the line, and a guy in a key position, on top 3 money, is taken from the field to sit and watch the remainder of the game. He is also the goal kicker, and a try scored would have left a rookie with a huge pressure kick

Good coaching or not ?

Warriorsoul

Juniors
Interesting tonight

10 to go, down 6 with the last hopes of the season on the line, and a guy in a key position, on top 3 money, is taken from the field to sit and watch the remainder of the game. He is also the goal kicker, and a try scored would have left a rookie with a huge pressure kick

Good coaching or not ?
I think we all know the answer to that. It seems like Kearney has a game plan from the outset, for example at 70 minutes Luke comes off, and nothing that happens in the game up to that point will change his carefully plotted scheme. We've been ahead by large amounts, or just ahead, or just behind or copping a hiding and he just makes these bewildering decisions that HAVE to be preplanned, because theres nothing at all in the game up to that point that make them anything other than the dumbest thing you could even entertain the thought of doing.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Interesting tonight

Good coaching or not ?
Classic assistant coach move.....

jaseg

Juniors
I'm more concerned with him continuing to pick players who are letting the team down in a major way than taking Luke off. He wasn't playing well and probably should've come off earlier, even if Ata isn't a dummy half.

Blair

Coach
No one's mentioned the very real prospect of Kearney getting a mentor?

It's the club's usual mo.

Rich102

Staff member
If Kearney isn't up to it he needs replacing - not propping up.
Geez we still have the last incompetent here.

Latest posts