What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who think Soccer is no threat

Nook

Bench
Soccer is a much bigger threat to RU in Australia than RL.

As someone mentioned, the great attraction of soccer is its genuine international appeal. RL has an exremely solid base at a local level. RU, in the middle, is much more likely to feel the squeeze.

Like many others, I couldn't get into the game on a weekly basis but I think the world cup will be absolutely tremendous. Its a truly international stage and we're in the mix, fantastic.

Azkatro

First Grade
To all the people that are suggesting that it's Australian culture to enjoy only football codes with hard hitting impact, keep smoking. That's a total myth.

Alex28

Coach
Raider_69 said:
would of been lucky to nab a mil a year for just the A-League, the world cup and internationals, no doubt had a massive role in their HUGE 17mil a year :roll: :lol:
SBS still have the world cup - not fox...

Raider Ultra

Bench
El Diablo said:
read the article closer. it's not just for the domestic crap
The FFA has only been in existence since 2004, smart arse. Shows how much faith Foxtel have in them to cough up that sort of money after an organisation has only been in existence for 2 years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
7 years seems a very long time. If there is a sudden (or even slow) growth in the sport over the next few years they are not getting much dosh for what by 2012 could be a major Aus sporting player.

Bad news for poor SBS as well.

News Ltd. grrrrrrrr!

domdom

Juniors
Alex28 said:
SBS still have the world cup - not fox...

i'm stoked to hear that! we're spared from the dodgy commentating stylings of robbie slater for at least a few more months.

i swear if i hear another anecdote from when he was with blackburn, i'm going to throw something big and heavy at my telly.

Boing Boing

Juniors
I can't wait to start seeing all the comps and games we will participate in thanks to our inclusion in the Asian conference. It will be a huge boost to Soccer, especially at a domestic level here, with two A-League teams competeing in the Asian Champions League.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Yep, don't bother saying it here. You'll get shot down as apparently 'Aussies' can't watch any footy that doesnt have men tackling other men. Last time I checked I'm an Aussie, and I don't need to watch men grabbing each other in a sporting contest to enjoy it.

Razor

Coach
Big improvement but still a lot less

2007 TV money (06-07 for FFA)

AFL $156mil
NRL $ 80mil
ARU $ 30mil
FFA $ 17mil

2008 TV money (07-08 for FFA)

AFL $156mil
NRL $100mil
ARU $ 30mil
FFA $ 17mil

El Diablo

Post Whore
Raider Ultra said:
The FFA has only been in existence since 2004, smart arse. Shows how much faith Foxtel have in them to cough up that sort of money after an organisation has only been in existence for 2 years.

so the socceroos have only existed two years?

Boing Boing

Juniors
That's like every tim I get into my car, I'll pull up behind some 10 year old commodore ute, with plenty of rust that has a sticker on it saying "Real Aussies drive utes".

Apparently my passport doesn't count for anything.

Schillaci

Juniors
Sir Knight82 said:
Soccer will be on the same level as basketball and never threaten League, AFL, Union or even cricket. I'd say they'll have a small dedicated following that will keep them afloat but thats it.
Same level as basketball?

the bogans on here never cease to amaze me.

Remind me again what the NBL crowd figures are like?

A small dedicated following that sells out 80,000-100,000 seat stadiums in a matter of hours.

dubby

Bench
Enoughsaid said:
Australia vs Greece sold out the mcg in 2 hrs
not bad for a sport THAT no one is supposed to give a f**k about

Thats because Melbourne has the largest Greek population outside Greece itself.

I wonder how well Aust. vs Paraguay would go??:roll:

borat

Bench
Sir Knight82 said:
Care to back that point up Azkatro?

You don't think culture changes SK82? Yorur point about soccer being similar to basketball in appeal is flawed because soccer is by far the most popular sport in the world. Its just a matter of whether Australia will follow the trend.

Mr Saab

Referee
80k-100k stadiums? hmmm what A league game had that? That was a world cup qualifier which happens once every 4 yrs in Oz.
Once the world cup is over so will the honeymoon.

borat

Bench
dubby said:
Thats because Melbourne has the largest Greek population outside Greece itself.

I wonder how well Aust. vs Paraguay would go??:roll:

Australia v Uruguay didn't do to bad.

Latest posts