What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who think Soccer is no threat

Boing Boing

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
80k-100k stadiums? hmmm what A league game had that? That was a world cup qualifier which happens once every 4 yrs in Oz.
Once the world cup is over so will the honeymoon.

The honeymoon will over?

I think it's probably pointless arguing this in a Rugby League-centric forum. The responses we are seeing are rather expected. Soccer fans, don't bother getting worked up. IF League supporters choose to believe Soccer is nothing and will never amount to anything, that is honestly their choice. Odds are they have as much knowledge about soccer as Rebecca Wilson does about Rugby League.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Boing Boing said:
The honeymoon will over?

I think it's probably pointless arguing this in a Rugby League-centric forum. The responses we are seeing are rather expected. Soccer fans, don't bother getting worked up. IF League supporters choose to believe Soccer is nothing and will never amount to anything, that is honestly their choice. Odds are they have as much knowledge about soccer as Rebecca Wilson does about Rugby League.

it never begun

A League crowds failed to improve after they qualified

Boing Boing

Juniors
A-League crowds were a massive overall improvement on the NSL over the last decade or so.

Yes the WC qualification will have an impact. Saying that because it has had little impact so far, it won't have any, is naive. Soccer in Australia will continue to grow over the next few years.

Raider Ultra

Bench
The Greece game would have sold out in Sydney easily as well. A rotten yoghurt has more culture than half of the brain dead bogans that post on this forum.

Mr Saab

Referee
Boing Boing said:
The honeymoon will over?

soccer is the world sport and i dont deny that, but Australia is a unique place (much like America). It will never take off in this small country. It wont make free to air TV.
We have LEague, union, AFL.
America has NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL.
Soccer is ranked behind all of those and will be behind for many yrs to come.
America had the world cup in 1994...i still see the NFL, MLB and NBA still in the mainstream and still with large crowds. Soccer has a league in America but it is not on prime time and doesnt rate like NFL does.

Raider Ultra

Bench
El Diablo said:
Top response. The only thing that has been holding the game back in this country is rampant cronyism and corruption. Now all the old Soccer Australia scum has been swept out, there is nothing that can hold the game back. Now, onto Asia and the influx of money from the huge Asian Confederation :D

Raider Ultra

Bench
Boing Boing said:
That's like every tim I get into my car, I'll pull up behind some 10 year old commodore ute, with plenty of rust that has a sticker on it saying "Real Aussies drive utes".

Apparently my passport doesn't count for anything.
You like non-contact sport, and you don't drive a ute? Immigration officials are coming to deport you to Nauru.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Raider Ultra said:
Top response. The only thing that has been holding the game back in this country is rampant cronyism and corruption. Now all the old Soccer Australia scum has been swept out, there is nothing that can hold the game back. Now, onto Asia and the influx of money from the huge Asian Confederation :D

lol

what holds it back is that its as boring as bat sh*t

Boing Boing

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
soccer is the world sport and i dont deny that, but Australia is a unique place (much like America). It will never take off in this small country. It wont make free to air TV.
We have LEague, union, AFL.
America has NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL.
Soccer is ranked behind of of those and will be behind for many yrs to come.
America had the world cup in 1994...i still see the NFL, MLB and NBA still in the mainstream and still with large crowds. Soccer has a league in America but it is not on prime time and doesnt rate like NFL does.

Finally, someone who acts like an adult.

You're right in a certain way. Soccer is behind the other codes and I think the purpose of this thread was to show that the game has really increased in value: E.g. the new Fox Sports deal.

But again, to say that soccer will forever be behind the current leading sports (League, Aussie Rules and Union) is naive. It's already a far more exciting game and prospect than Rugby Union.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Good points Boing. I have never claimed soccer will be bigger than league and AFL in the near future. What this thread is about is how much soccer has come on in leaps and bounds in such a short space of time. The title of the thread is a bit over the top.

Alex28

Coach
The A League is a tremendous leap on what the NSL was. For a comp that has been going for a year it is a pretty tremendous result. However it will always be a poor mans football in Australia because the dominance the 3 other codes have, and that soccer doesn't have enough "action" (read "points") for the average Australian sports fan.

Look at other Australian sports - League (potential for lots of points), Union (same), AFL (they need lots and lots of points to be interested down there), Cricket (heaps and heaps of runs) - Australians need high scores to be interested in a sport (the comment earlier about a 0-0 scoreline says it all).

But to be honest...Soccer isn't competing with the other 3 codes. Different time of the year. They are competing with Cricket if anything.

Disclaimer - Before I am labeled as a "League Hater" or "non-Australian", I am a League fan first and foremost. I think I watched one game of A League last season and I have Pay TV. I think the A League is quite boring compared to EPL and Serie A.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Raider Ultra said:
Good points Boing. I have never claimed soccer will be bigger than league and AFL in the near future. What this thread is about is how much soccer has come on in leaps and bounds in such a short space of time. The title of the thread is a bit over the top.

theres more money in ALL sports

The Shire

Juniors
Bumble said:
And I'm fairly sure noone in Italy cares about Brett Hodgson, either.

well put!!!

people have to start to accept it, that doesn't mean they have to like it.

Mr Saab

Referee
Boing Boing said:
Finally, someone who acts like an adult.

You're right in a certain way. Soccer is behind the other codes and I think the purpose of this thread was to show that the game has really increased in value: E.g. the new Fox Sports deal.

But again, to say that soccer will forever be behind the current leading sports (League, Aussie Rules and Union) is naive. It's already a far more exciting game and prospect than Rugby Union.

I dont think it is naive at all. League and AFL are entrenched in the major 3 states (NSW VIC QLD) and i cant see soccer penetrating to the extent that the "soccer" people on this thread think.
Yes i agree soccer has increased in value with this deal, even though it is not primarily for the A League comp.
As for being more exciting that Union, meh, apples and oranges. I watch union (not religiously) and sometimes soccer. If i was to choose between one or the other i would take union. I like impact sports, and soccer is not impact. Doesnt have the excitement level (unless you put $$$ on a result) that union, AFL or League has.
Soccer will have truly made it once it makes prime time Friday night on a free to air station....cant see that happening for many many yrs...if ever.

Perth Red

Post Whore
"Soccer will have truly made it once it makes prime time Friday night on a free to air station...."

You could say the same for RL in some parts of Australia!

Latest posts