What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four year deal for Boyd at knights

Johns Magic

Referee
lol @ Talanoa.

What the hell could that guy possibly be arrogant about, other than being in the top echelon of worst players in first-grade history.

He had the biggest "I'm a f**ken superstar" vibe about him, complete jerk.

On the other hand I had an in-depth drunk conversation with Nightingale(who was the humblest guy ever) about how he felt about being on the bench behind Wendell Sailor(it was 2009), among other things. Being introduced through mutual friends may have helped but he was a top bloke, gave some pretty good insightful answers. And then he paid his tab, and uh....couldn't have been more courteous...

Silent Knight

First Grade
My dad met the Chief once when he stepped into an elevator. Dad thought it would be polite not to harrass the great man but the moment Chief walked in he was like "how's it going mate, having a great day?". My dad spent the rest of dinner later that evening telling me the Chief was the greatest bloke in the whole of Newcastle.

RABK

Referee
Chief is unreal, you will find it hard to find a player who loves the fans more than him. Infact Joey is the only Knight i could ever describe as a douche but having met him post retirement he is very polite now.

RABK

Referee
Actually Quinn was a wanker.

Boyd is a very nice guy on the topic of the thread, looks like McDonnell if he ate a power up mushroom from super mario.

aqua_duck

Coach
Hayne for mine. Complete arrogant prick, though this was a few years back. Perhaps he's matured.
I met Jarryd Hayne at the UFC last year (he was in the corporate box next door) and I found him to be a nice enough guy, had a photo with him, autograph, had a chat about the fights and he wasn't snobby at all.
By far the nicest guy I've ever met is Preston Campbell, absolute class act, if you didnt't watch rugby league you wouldn't ever guess he was someone famous

Joker's Wild

Coach
Thaiday is a great bloke. Always happy to have a chat. Alternatively, Allan Langer is a giant tool and that showed with his behavior at the normanby too. I guess it's mainly Brisbane players for me. One of my mates lives near Dugan and he says he's a great bloke.

As much as I want to hate em, most of the Broncos I have met have been very easy going fellas and nice as pie. Corey Parker especially.

Benny Te'o is a funny bastard too

RABK

Referee
I met Jarryd Hayne at the UFC last year (he was in the corporate box next door) and I found him to be a nice enough guy, had a photo with him, autograph, had a chat about the fights and he wasn't snobby at all.
By far the nicest guy I've ever met is Preston Campbell, absolute class act, if you didnt't watch rugby league you wouldn't ever guess he was someone famous

Hayne cracked onto a mate's GF, and when politely told of the situation acted like a dick. He was only 19. Suppose he's matured.

Johns Magic

Referee

Actually I completely forgot about Campbell, he takes the cake for top blokes.

I was on the sideline watching Nathan Blacklock play his first game of club rugby union(this was just after he signed for the Waratahs) against my club in second-grade and Campbell was there watching him. We happened to be standing next to each other on the sideline and I would have been something like 12 or 13 at the time. He actually started talking to me and just asked me about what footy I played and was joking around with me and was just the nicest guy ever. He didn't even carry himself like he was any better or any cooler than anyone else there, he was very low-key. It didn't feel like he was being accomodating of a fan, it seemed like he genuinely enjoyed sharing a laugh with a kid.

He would be a nominee for best bloke in the world, let alone in the NRL.

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
The question is, was the 13 yr old JM bigger than Preston. I mean did you guys see eye to eye that day? lol

perverse

Referee
i've never heard anything for Presto except absolute glowing praise and awe. good to have blokes like that in the game... a shame they don't balance out the twats. i've always loved his tenacity and, in his prime, his elusiveness and ball skills too. certainly one of my favourite players of the recent era past... right up there with the likes of the Peach (who is another absolutely outstanding guy). as a full on-field/off-field package, it's hard to beat blokes like this that are just so selfless with their time and effort.

Johns Magic

Referee
The question is, was the 13 yr old JM bigger than Preston. I mean did you guys see eye to eye that day? lol

Haha, I think even Presto towered me in those days, but he was definitely smaller than the blokes out on the field. Hard to believe how someone that size has had such a fruitful career.

perverse

Referee
yeah, Benny Barba is my new Presto. little excitement machines... love them. who doesn't? it's always made all the more impressive by their tiny stature. Prestos longetivity has been impressive, but it's pretty clear that he jumped the shark a little while ago now.

otori

Juniors
As much as I want to hate em, most of the Broncos I have met have been very easy going fellas and nice as pie. Corey Parker especially.

Benny Te'o is a funny bastard too

Yeah and Parker's missus has giant cans so he's alright in my book.

RABK

Referee
If Johns didnt decide to penetrate dykes ear with his elbow presto would never have amounted to anything.

Jokes

aqua_duck

Coach
I met Preston at a sharks fan day when I was about 14 or 15 and honestly he was the nicest bloke you could meet and so incredibly humble. Him and Peach were having a ball just being around the fans where as Kimmorley looked like he was there only because he had to be.
The official fan day finished at about 1pm but Peach was there taking photos with everyone till well after 2pm. Preston was still there about 4pm throwing the footy around and kicking the soccer ball around with all us kids. Just talking to him, he's the most humble bloke you'll ever meet.

League_God

Juniors
Actually I completely forgot about Campbell, he takes the cake for top blokes.

I was on the sideline watching Nathan Blacklock play his first game of club rugby union(this was just after he signed for the Waratahs) against my club in second-grade and Campbell was there watching him. We happened to be standing next to each other on the sideline and I would have been something like 12 or 13 at the time. He actually started talking to me and just asked me about what footy I played and was joking around with me and was just the nicest guy ever. He didn't even carry himself like he was any better or any cooler than anyone else there, he was very low-key. It didn't feel like he was being accomodating of a fan, it seemed like he genuinely enjoyed sharing a laugh with a kid.

He would be a nominee for best bloke in the world, let alone in the NRL.

Presto is an absolute champion. As a koori, It's great to see a bloke like Preston who conducts himself the way he does. It's always great to see a level-headed role model for our people (wish the same could be said about Mundine).

Actually on Mundine,i have two cousins who are really good friends with him. He is COMPLETELY different in person than what we see in the media. He is a very nice bloke, who has a lot of time for everyday people/"non-athletes". It is frustrating to see him carry on like a tool in the media at times.

Kieran Foran is another with a "im a f**king superstar" vibe, saw him at big day out acting like a tool.
Buderus is an absolute champion. Saw him talking to some old female fans and he just conducted himself as a 'gentleman' and was extremely patient when they were talking his head off. He lived next door to my mate and his family said he was the nicest bloke you'd ever meet.
Gallen and Bird are pretty much what you would expect from what my cousin tells me, he drinks with them a lot.
Mark Geyer seems like a nice enough fella.

Alex28

Coach
Actually on Mundine,i have two cousins who are really good friends with him. He is COMPLETELY different in person than what we see in the media. He is a very nice bloke, who has a lot of time for everyday people/"non-athletes". It is frustrating to see him carry on like a tool in the media at times.
A mate of mine has a bit to do with him through involvement with a government department - says exactly the same thing.

RABK

Referee
Met Mundine at Souths, you get the impression his arrogance and borderline racism is purely showmanship. He's in a sport where ppv buys is everything and it works. Very pleasant he was.

Johns Magic

Referee
Kieran Foran is another with a "im a f**king superstar" vibe, saw him at big day out acting like a tool.

I've met Foran out twice and found him to be pretty pleasant to talk to both times. He seemed a bit like he knows he has it going on, but he wasn't rude or arrogant or anything from my experience. I didn't have a full-on conversation with him either time, just introduced myself with a couple of mates and talked footy for a minute, he definitely seemed more grounded than I may have expected. An underlying confidence is probably the way I'd describe my impression of him, but I'd be surprised if he didn't have that given who he is and being a young guy.

My "superstar vibe" description of Talanoa certainly wouldn't apply to Foran in my case. I think it's easy to look like a tool at a festival.

I met James Roberts out last Saturday night after his debut and he was timid as a mouse.

Latest posts