What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

The Great Dane

First Grade
The stadium will need to run north south because there certainly isn't room for an east west configuration, the Allara st end of that civic pool site is longer by 50 metres north / south , all the images of how the stadium will look like have it running this way so , no, you're wrong. Again.
The Allara St end is only 50 metres longer because Parkes Way hasn't been realigned yet, and it makes no difference anyway because 50 extra metres or not there still isn't room on the plot for a big enough stadium.
There were also concerns about the impact building the the stadium right up against Allara St would have on the buildings across the road, but I don't really know enough about that to have a strong opinion.

Do you honestly believe that your ideas are novel, that nobody has proposed these solutions before you? Every one of them has been explored in at least one proposal, and all of them have been found to be either too cost prohibitive or impractical for one reason or another.
And the only one chucking a tantrum here is you , & saying nothing but a 20K would fit in to civic & this won't happen & that won't happen which is also blind idealism & lacking any scope for compromise or vision.
Theres room there.
I'm not saying anything. It's every city planner, architect, and engineer that has looked at the problem that is saying that only 20k will feasibly fit in the space.

Your constant baseless assertion that 'there's room', is no different than a child having a fit because it isn't getting it's way. You can keep bitching and moaning about it all you like it won't change the reality of the situation.

Last edited:

Frailty

First Grade
People blowing up on social media saying they were queuing for 45mins plus to get a beer. Not much changed went ten years ago and waited 40mins to get a coffee. But oh how buzz loves suburban grounds lol.

shoukd be 25k min capacity, 20kseats, 75% undercover if you want to host an nrl game, stop being so small in our ambitions. Nsw cup exists for those who want to sit on a grass hill.

Granted I haven't been to Shark Park for a few years since I moved interstate, but I was a member and I would wait no longer for food or drink than I have at Stadium Australia or AAMI Stadium now. The best thing about social media, is no one ever exaggerates at all.

Whilst I agree those targets should be in place to fuel ambition, I also think there needs to be more thought and planning behind it rather than the "build it and they will come" approach because historically it just doesn't work. I have no issue with the way the Sharks are approaching this. The development will actually create a reason to be in that area outside of football - previously it was literally just the ground and the leagues club. If you have no solid interest in League there was no reason to be there. The development will bring in more people through the different shops, the restaurants, the medical centre, the hotel, etc. and with that brings more eyes to the club and the football.

With the generated income, it will allow the club to grow and spend money on their ground and expand the North, West, and South - more seats and more cover, better facilities, better lighting, etc. It also doesn't hurt to generate interest if the smaller size is regularly filled to capacity - this is what most places that want to eventually grow attempt to do.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Civic would be ideal. Building a stadium in any of the other centres would cut off a lot of fans.
Absolute bullshit.

Every city centre in Canberra is as well connected by both roads and public transport as any other. It's as easy to get to any of them as it is Civic, the only difference is the time it takes depending on your destination and where you are coming from.
If not the Civic Pool site, then would a decent stadium fit elsewhere nearby? Eg by taking over one of the ANU ovals in Turner, or using Rugby League Park in Braddon?
Both have been explored.

ANU owns the lease to the southern parts of the Turner parklands and wouldn't give it up for nothing considering they've invested a sizable amount into the fields there and across the road. There's also the problem of Sullivans creek running through the middle of it and NIMBYS in the area.

Rugby League Park is a no go because the Raiders decided to build their COE on top of it. It's also doubtful that a stadium of any size would fit there anyway.

People have suggested Reid Oval before, but at that point you're getting pretty far from the amenities of the city, and I'm not sure how people would feel about a whopping great stadium being built across the road from the War Memorial.

Aside from that there's no other option in Civic that doesn't include knocking buildings down.

Your constant baseless assertion that 'there's room', is no different than a child having a fit because it isn't getting it's way. You can keep bitching and moaning about it all you like it won't change the reality of the situation.
Again the bitching & moaning is coming from you & only you like it does when anyone disagrees with you about anything .. on any subject.

Your I'm the smartest person in the room mentality gets the better of you & your smarminess oozes out.
You think you look cool , when in reality all you look like is a pratt.

Perth Red

Post Whore
With the announcement of new Panthers stadium the NRl edges ever closer to having all its teams playing in decent modern day stadia. Still some Sydney issues to sort out with Manly, Sharks, Dragons, Bulldogs, Souths and Wests to find decent homes but at least the rest of the NRl is nearly there with only Canberra and NZ needing better homes.

I'm still hoping the NRL is seriously looking at owning a shared stadium for Dogs and Tigers, we need to build a much stronger asset base and would give two more clubs a decent home to build their long time viability on.

Jamberoo

Juniors
With the announcement of new Panthers stadium the NRl edges ever closer to having all its teams playing in decent modern day stadia. Still some Sydney issues to sort out with Manly, Sharks, Dragons, Bulldogs, Souths and Wests to find decent homes but at least the rest of the NRl is nearly there with only Canberra and NZ needing better homes.

I'm still hoping the NRL is seriously looking at owning a shared stadium for Dogs and Tigers, we need to build a much stronger asset base and would give two more clubs a decent home to build their long time viability on.
So just half the teams needing improved stadiums then.

flippikat

Bench
I've hoped for a while that Auckland can get it's act together and build a new footy stadium downtown, but every time the opportunity presents, they screw it up before shovels are put into soil.

Don't hold your breath.

MugaB

Coach
Well realistically Tigers, Souths and Bulldogs are sharing Homebush and Commbank stadiums, so thats 3 teams not really nessesary to be counted, as they do have access to better stadiums with proper facilities, and sharks and soon to be dolphins have their own niche stadiums, so really Wollongong, Canberra and Auckland are the only areas that need upgrades, and Manly is the only one in sydney

Perth Red

Post Whore
Some of them have better options now if they took them (Souths & Dragons to SFS, Tigers FT @Commbank). Manly and Sharks need refurb money and Bulldogs need a 25k stadium in their region. Realistically you could probably achieve that with around $450mill. ANZ should never be used other than the massive PH derby games and finals.

New big screen at Accor

FN2_sF-VgAAGfrf
Why the f...k is there AFL post?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wasn't there some deal that they had to adhere to with Accor/ANZ/Telstra Stadium that they couldn't make it any bigger than its previous capacity, for fear of reducing potential events at Homebush. In reality, 50K should have been the capacity though.
Was dumb tbh, should have been 35k club stadium and the money spent building a new national rectangular stadium of 75-80k. Theres really no need for a 45k and a 80k stadium in Sydney.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So there was $810mill ear marked for ANZ. Presuming the pot is still around the same

Panthers stadium $300mill 'ish
Brookvale $180mill
ANZ upgrade $120million

leaves around $210mill for upgrades to Shark park main and end stand and Wollongong or a significant rebuild of Campbelltown maybe?

Latest posts