What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
Will be interesting to see if the rental deals are same for each stadium, I suspect Accor will still be cheaper otherwise it could become a costly white elephant for The SMC with high upkeep costs and only Dogs using it. Now its not going to be rectangular maybe Giants will move in lol.

Wb1234

Referee
Will be interesting to see if the rental deals are same for each stadium, I suspect Accor will still be cheaper otherwise it could become a costly white elephant for The SMC with high upkeep costs and only Dogs using it. Now its not going to be rectangular maybe Giants will move in lol.
Even spending 120 million on accor is a waste. The best thing they could’ve done was sold it to developers for 300 million and then spent the extra money on making the sfs 80k or so.

but politics dictated Homebush get done because otherwise it was favouring the rich suburbs

the only reason accor gets those crowds is it’s central location in Sydney and there’s a train line outside. But a lot of trains don’t even run direct to the stadium, you have to change stations to get there

I had members seats there for years and even those seats had poor views. Your watching the big screen for a lot of the game

you need 30k in there for a decent Atmosphere

Perth Red

Post Whore
Even spending 120 million on accor is a waste. The best thing they could’ve done was sold it to developers for 300 million and then spent the extra money on making the sfs 80k or so.

but politics dictated Homebush get done because otherwise it was favouring the rich suburbs

the only reason accor gets those crowds is it’s central location in Sydney and there’s a train line outside. But a lot of trains don’t even run direct to the stadium, you have to change stations to get there

I had members seats there for years and even those seats had poor views. Your watching the big screen for a lot of the game

you need 30k in there for a decent Atmosphere
Best thing would have to pulled it down, built a commbank sized stadium for Dogs and Tigers there and made SFS 75k national stadium with a roof and proper public transport links!

Wb1234

Referee
Th
Best thing would have to pulled it down, built a commbank sized stadium for Dogs and Tigers there and made SFS 75k national stadium with a roof and proper public transport links!
That actually works well for both the dogs and tigers.

transport links to sfs have been improved with the tram line straight from central

Iamback

Coach
The last thing I read they wanted to stay at accor

the move to Homebush helped them be financially stable but they have reached their potential there

I can’t believe they would turn down the chance to move to the new sfs with the corporate facilities they have and it’s closer to their centre of excellence too. It would take them to another level financially and imo increase their membership sales

They put these stories out every couple of years.
Allows the Govt to justify the spend to the taxpayers.

The GF is going no where

Perth Red

Post Whore
They put these stories out every couple of years.
Allows the Govt to justify the spend to the taxpayers.

The GF is going no where
Yeh maybe the announcement is coming for the rest of the spend and this takes the pressure off them lol.
Then again the flip of that could be it looks like they are caving in to the NRL and are weak. But as most in NSW would surely be happy at new stadia I suspect it may be the former.

Iamback

Coach
Yeh maybe the announcement is coming for the rest of the spend and this takes the pressure off them lol.
Then again the flip of that could be it looks like they are caving in to the NRL and are weak. But as most in NSW would surely be happy at new stadia I suspect it may be the former.

PVL and Government officials were at SCG ANZAC Day together...

Next day this story comes out. No co-incidence there

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
H

Have you been? I have and watching origin with a crowd of 100k people was amazing if you were a fair aus form the action. If we’re not using ovals does that mean no more gf at Accor as well?
I agree Accor is shit but it is still infinitely better than the MCG and Docklands. While the nosebleeds are terrible at Accor the good seats still provide a much better experience than anything the MCG can offer.

There is no point renovating Accor, it needs to be completely knocked down and rebuilt as the premier rectangular stadium in the country. And it will be in the future if Australia is ever serious about a World Cup bid. By the end of the decade it should be back on the agenda. Let's get the suburban stadiums sorted first.

Bulldog2020

Juniors
It won't happen, but rather than doing the Accor roof, plus some of the other money, having a 20k indoor stadium like Dunedin at Olympic Park would fill a gap in the types of stadiums offered in Sydney. Would be great for the Bulldogs.

Can't see the Bulldogs ever being fulltime at Parramatta as they won't want to give business to Parra Leagues

The Great Dane

First Grade
Doesn't have to be at a rectangular stadium. I've been to origins at MCG and Optus and they were both as good an experience as the GF at Accor.
If you want governments to invest in infrastructure that suits your needs then you need to incentivise it. Having minimum standards for events such as the GF is an excellent way to do that.

This is something that many other codes and leagues do around the world (though I freely admit some take it way too far), and it's not unreasonable at all to say that we'll only hold our premier events in suitable conditions.

The Great Dane

First Grade
They would never play in in NZ.
Why not?

Sure broadcasters might bitch and moan that it couldn't kick off at 8pm AEST, but I doubt that ratings would take that much of a hit if you kicked off around 6pm AEST, and it'd be huge if you went about it the right way.
If the yanks can manage the time difference between the East and West coast then I'm sure we can find a solution that's workable here.

It'd be a bad idea to do it regularly, but every now and then it'd be a good change, and huge for the sport and NRL's profile in NZ.
They would never play in in NZ. So you are left with just Brisbane and Sydney. If each city can only hold it every second year, the other city could bid $1 as there are no other suitable rectangular stadiums.
Bidding is not the way to go. Tie cities in with multi game contacts and then you can demand whatever you want.
EDIT - Homebush is not rectangular. Marvel with the seats in hold 56K. More than enough. The AFL could host the NRL.
Firstly, we both knew exactly what I meant when I said rectangular, but you have a fair point about the lack of competition for the event.

Maybe you could change the criteria to something like cities will only be considered so long as any new large stadia that they build is rectangular, or can be configured to be rectangular. That way Optus and Adelaide Oval would be eligible to host it initially, but when it comes time for Perth and Adelaide to upgrade in the future they have to include a rectangular option or they won't be considered anymore. Or at least something along those lines.

I totally forgot that Marvel can be converted into a rectangle, so that's a third/fourth stadium that could host it straight away. BTW, as long as the cheque clears who gives a shit if the AFL owns it.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you want governments to invest in infrastructure that suits your needs then you need to incentivise it. Having minimum standards for events such as the GF is an excellent way to do that.

This is something that many other codes and leagues do around the world (though I freely admit some take it way too far), and it's not unreasonable at all to say that we'll only hold our premier events in suitable conditions.
Except there is zero justification to build large rectangular stadiums in many of this countries cities. So you’re either narrowing your sales opportunities or accepting a Compromise in venues. Besides like I said theres not much difference between watching a game at Accor and at a state of the art oval stadium like Optus. if the game wants to get maximum revenue opportunity out of moving the gf then the mcg and Optus are the next two largest revenue generating venues in the country when you consider ticket sales, coporate facilities and the willingness of the state govt to pay through the nose for the event.

but it doesn’t matter as nsw govt will announce upgrades to a couple of the burbs and all will be happy again until 2042.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Except there is zero justification to build large rectangular stadiums in many of this countries cities. So you’re either narrowing your sales opportunities or accepting a Compromise in venues. Besides like I said theres not much difference between watching a game at Accor and at a state of the art oval stadium like Optus. if the game wants to get maximum revenue opportunity out of moving the gf then the mcg and Optus are the next two largest revenue generating venues in the country when you consider ticket sales, coporate facilities and the willingness of the state govt to pay through the nose for the event.
By enforcing such a standard on their events the NRL will have created one.

Sure that's one against the weight of the AFL, and it of course assumes that moving the GF around becomes a successful and profitable event, and that it's a precursor to the sport growing nationally, but that's better than no justifications.

Look, I know that you don't give a shit about anything you don't think benefits Perth, but sometimes there's a bigger picture, and if we're reasonable and go about this the right way the long term benefits will definitely out way the short term gains.

It'd be sensible to accept ovals that can be configured into rectangles anyway, so it's not like the NRL would be demanding Perth and Adelaide build a giant white elephant for one game maybe every 5 years at most. In the future you might reconsider that, but that wouldn't happen until long after we're both gone.
but it doesn’t matter as nsw govt will announce upgrades to a couple of the burbs and all will be happy again until 2042.
Nah.

The NSW gov will do some of the upgrades in the burbs then try to backflip on the rest again, and we'll be having this conversation again in a few years time after the NRL once again backdowns on it's threat to take the GF away from Sydney.

Last edited:
I know this is behind a paywall, buit I did read the article in hard copy earlier this morning, but the "on grass parking" used outside the SCG and SFS is to be removed within the next 3 years, and the promised underground car park which is supposed to be built has been delayed.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Will the ownership of Penrith stadium transfer from local Govt to State Govt when new stadium gets underway? OR is it being done on a long term lease to State Govt? I am presuming that the State Govt is going to own it when its done?

Iamback

Coach
Will the ownership of Penrith stadium transfer from local Govt to State Govt when new stadium gets underway? OR is it being done on a long term lease to State Govt? I am presuming that the State Govt is going to own it when its done?

Yep it changes over.

Likely lose the great rental rate too

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep it changes over.

Likely lose the great rental rate too
Cheers, wondered if would come under the same smc. On the plus side it does offer opportunity for reciprocal membership access agreements with teams playing at commbank, Accor and SFS if they all sit under the same landlord.

forby

Juniors
Unless you have excess capacity reciprocal memberships won’t work. Especially when a majority of members turn up to their home venue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Unless you have excess capacity reciprocal memberships won’t work. Especially when a majority of members turn up to their home venue.
with 35k-80k seats available at these stadiums and crowd avg's around the 15k mark clubs will have plenty of excess for most games I'd suggest! If its an issue, which would be a nice problem to have!, You can always limit it to a specific number available on a first come first served basis online booking.