What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Interestingly I heard Graham Anally say that the NRL couldn't just change rules mid season when asked about home finals.

I'm sure we've had ad hoc rule changes mid season over the last 4 - 5 years 🤔

Steel Saints

Juniors
Looks like Eden Park may be off the table anyway as it’s already booked for another event.
The bigger worry for the Warriors is that they might end up being forced to kick off a home final at 10pm local time to accomodate the 8pm Nine broadcast. Should be moved to a 4pm Aus/6pm NZ time slot instead.

Warriors home finals need to be scheduled on a Saturday with at least a 6:30pm Aus/ 8:30pm NZ time slot. Nine would have to shift their news to 5pm- 6pm, and then when the coverage starts at 6pm, have half an hour of rubbish analysis and gambling ads.

beave

Coach
This is true.

I just don't like rewarding poorer teams, If they were better and we had more in the Top 4 then we don't have this issue.

Last year the finals had 2 games out of Sydney, That is the luck of the draw

i agree to an extent.

I get the higher placed teams should have some reward for finishing higher but it's not like the sharks playing at Moore Park is asking them to play 1k kms away in Brissy...... Sharks fans getting a 2 day headstart before the chooks fans and general public should be enough to pack it with their own.

I know the perils of travel to Moore Park from
Cronulla but it's honestly small fry issues in the scheme of things. It's the finals FFS.

beave

Coach
Interestingly I heard Graham Anally say that the NRL couldn't just change rules mid season when asked about home finals.

Yeah it's not like they got rid of an onfield ref or brought in the 6 again rule mid season.

King-Gutho94

Coach
We play Sat next week. Likely v Warriors.

Sat night 8pm NZ time week 2 gives 7 days and times aren't too bad
6pm in Sydney no way channel 9 will want that. News takes precedence.

It will be more likely a 4pm kick off here leading into the news 6pm NZ time.

Which is a fair compromise.

Since all games are now shown live the NRL hasn't had this issue before as the warriors previous 3 finals at home were back in the day it was delayed anyway so they could start at 8pm NZ and 9 wouldn't show it 8pm on delay.

Iamback

Coach
6pm in Sydney no way channel 9 will want that. News takes precedence.

It will be more likely a 4pm kick off here leading into the news 6pm NZ time.

Which is a fair compromise.

Since all games are now shown live the NRL hasn't had this issue before as the warriors previous 3 finals at home were back in the day it was delayed anyway so they could start at 8pm NZ and 9 wouldn't show it 8pm on delay.

That still works, Either way not sure playing on a Sunday and losing a day preparation for the PF works.

Nor does a 10pm kick off their time. Sat is best just work around TV

Iamback

Coach
i agree to an extent.

I get the higher placed teams should have some reward for finishing higher but it's not like the sharks playing at Moore Park is asking them to play 1k kms away in Brissy...... Sharks fans getting a 2 day headstart before the chooks fans and general public should be enough to pack it with their own.

I know the perils of travel to Moore Park from
Cronulla but it's honestly small fry issues in the scheme of things. It's the finals FFS.

They are getting to play a home final as opposed to playing in a neutral ground. That in most cases is half empty. Not sure that does anyone a favour

Wb1234

Referee
Utter trash journalism. So the NRL should rig the competition to allow Sydney teams to finish higher and use the new stadiums? If the teams don't qualify then no finals will be played at the stadiums. Seems pretty reasonable to me.
Lmao that’s not what it means

they don’t want Cronulla to host finals games

the nrl should probably look at week one finals and take them away from suburban grounds

Pjf04b

Juniors
But let clubs with government funded stadiums and regional clubs have home finals?
If all teams can’t play home finals in week 1 then all finals should be neutral venues (Except Allianz if the Dogs or Rabbits make the GF)

That's b/s. The NRL did it in 1998 when they changed the venues of Eels v Bulldogs and Broncos v Roosters GF Qualifiers after the Broncos lost in week 1 of the finals, which put them on the wrong side of the draw.

As soon as those 2 GF qualifiers were set, Broncos v Roosters should have been at the SFS and EEls v Bulldogs at the "old) Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane as under its own rules which had been set in stone for about 6 months at least. Yet the NRL swapped them - I remember it due to that ladst minute change of venue meant having to scramble for ladt minute long distance travel plans to get to Brisbane for the game on the Saturday afternoon.

Pjf04b

Juniors
For those of you saying that they could build 2 new grandstands at Penrith for the $300m, there is currently only 2 stands there so it would be a complete rebuild. But the government says they won’t fund a complete rebuild.
So maybe some upgrade to the existing stands ie corporate boxes, new seats, extended roof, and then some new toilets and catering areas is about all that will happen!
PVL and the government will crow about how wonderful a job they have done!

Suitman

Post Whore
For those of you saying that they could build 2 new grandstands at Penrith for the $300m, there is currently only 2 stands there so it would be a complete rebuild. But the government says they won’t fund a complete rebuild.
No it wouldn't. What are you talking about?

The eastern stand is fine. Just needs better facilities beneath it (catering and toilets) and a roof extension. $80 million.
Western stand needs a re-build with better corporate facilities. $120 million.
North and south ends just need a wrap around of the eastern concourse with toilet and catering facilities. Easily done for the remaining $100 million.
The Panthers will get something decent for this amount of money so I'd stop crying if I were you.
Your club is getting $300 million more than the other non state govt local grounds.

Pjf04b

Juniors
But this wouldn’t increase the capacity as is desperately needed.
It will not deliver what is needed and wlill be outdated before it is completed.

Pjf04b

Juniors
BTW can somebody explain to me how redeveloping a stadium has anything to do with the cost of living? What do people think will happen to the money if it is not spent? The amount is minuscule in the overall budget.

beave

Coach
They are getting to play a home final as opposed to playing in a neutral ground. That in most cases is half empty. Not sure that does anyone a favour
Here's a novel idea, Sharks fans could get off their asses and go to the game and fill it??

Having attended the 2016 GF where there would have been 65k plus wearing Sharks gear, imagine if half of those that were there that night went to it?