What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

thorson1987

Coach
TBH mate, I think we should ignore any reference to that sport in this thread.
They have so far f**ked up so much of our stadium infrastructure in this State it ain't funny. Them and the compliant, suck up politicians.
This is a true NRL, Rugby and Football stadium. Let's leave it at that.

Wonder if they will try play AFLX there.

mongoose

Coach
Yeah, Gallop is the reason.....maybe it has something to do with the fact that the A-League is the 47th soccer league in the world measured by revenue generated. 47th. That's the reason it'll never amount to anything. But certainly, having a tenant in summer can absolutely help the NRL improve facilities across the league.

Anyway, that image above from taipan is godly. Best stadium in Australia. Suncorp aint shit.

it just looks like a mini-suncorp. To be fair Suncorp is starting to get a tad dated. It's still good but its far from being super modern.

taipan

Referee
That’s only part of the issue though, the bigger one is Sydney clubs reluctance to share stadia. In reality you could have 7 clubs sharing two stadia

WSS
Wests
Eels
Bulldogs
Manly (or allianz)

Allianz
Souths
Roosters
St’s (Sydney games)

But there is a massive reluctance by clubs to do so and they continue to play out of crappy grounds either too big, anz or too small/antiquated.

Of course having stupid scheduling like Thursday nights and Friday 6pm games doesn’t help fans feel they can get to these venues.

The difference I suggest if we had the traffic infrastructure like Melbourne, with rail lines direct to two or three stadiums ,then I'd agree with your view.
Could you honestly see a Manly v Sharks game drawing a big crowd at a new Allianz stadium at 6pm Friday nights one but one of many examples.Let alone a Thursday night.Which you have affirmed.
Sydney's spread and geography is far larger the Melbourne, and so is then topography which is divided by harbour and rivers.
A Sunday afternoon game at 3pm in a new Allianz a different proposition.

Clubs reluctance is based on those facts.If there were direct rail links ,and the demand by the fans as a result clubs would not be so reluctant.You cannot ignore families, and ATM families attend these local grounds except the Thursday nights .One only has to look at the Titans ,great stadium, but despite rail nearby,pazrking nearly non existent, and the crowds respond accordingly.

franklin2323

Immortal
The difference I suggest if we had the traffic infrastructure like Melbourne, with rail lines direct to two or three stadiums ,then I'd agree with your view.
Could you honestly see a Manly v Sharks game drawing a big crowd at a new Allianz stadium at 6pm Friday nights one but one of many examples.Let alone a Thursday night.Which you have affirmed.
Sydney's spread and geography is far larger the Melboiurne, and so is then topography which is divided by harbour and rivers.

Clubs reluctance is based on those facts.If there were direct rail links ,and the demand by the fans as a result clubs would not be so reluctant.You cannot ignore families, and ATM families attend these local grounds except the Thursday nights .One only has to look at the Titans ,great stadium, but despite rail nearby,pazrking nearly non existent, and the crowds respond accordingly.

This.

Also though the 3 grounds aren't really near anything for entertainment so you can't even go out for a day out than walk across to the footy

horrie hastings

First Grade
TBH mate, I think we should ignore any reference to that sport in this thread.
They have so far f**ked up so much of our stadium infrastructure in this State it ain't funny. Them and the compliant, suck up politicians.
This is a true NRL, Rugby and Football stadium. Let's leave it at that.

Pfft whatever, when I looked at the pic on my tiny phone screen at work I saw the three posts sticking up in the right hand side of the pic , I just had a laugh because they did look a little like AFL posts even though I knew they weren’t.

VictoryFC

Bench
it just looks like a mini-suncorp. To be fair Suncorp is starting to get a tad dated. It's still good but its far from being super modern.

one thing that would help suncorp is to replace seating pattern and colour. maroon colour, perhaps either solid maroon or scattered pattern like at bankwest, and it would look much better overnight.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sydney's spread and geography is far larger the Melbourne, and so is then topography which is divided by harbour and rivers.

No, but that’s not a stadium problem, it’s a fixture schedule problem that needs to be addressed in next tv deal if we want to get serious about crowds and growing clubs revenue.

As Is manly v sharks at brookvale at those times is only drawing 10k so not like the bar is set high.

If the fixture schedule isnt to be changed then maybe the nrl needs to look at fixture concessions for clubs like manly to help them move to a more fitting stadium? Maybe give them preferential Saturday and Sunday fixtures to play at allianz
Aside from manly though the other six clubs mentioned could and should be playing out of the two quality stadiums in the city,

qldseaeagle96

Juniors
I remember when A league fans (who didn't know much about his time at the NRL) were fapping themselves silly over him.

One of my favourite moments of following the socceroos around Russia was running in to this tool at a Daryl Braithwaite gig in Kazan. Walk over to him (admittedly pissed) with a big grin...
Me; David how are you mate?
DG; Oh I'm good thanks
Me; What was f**king the NRL up not enough for you? Need to have a crack at a second code now?
DG; walks off....

taipan

Referee
No, but that’s not a stadium problem, it’s a fixture schedule problem that needs to be addressed in next tv deal if we want to get serious about crowds and growing clubs revenue.

As Is manly v sharks at brookvale at those times is only drawing 10k so not like the bar is set high.

If the fixture schedule isnt to be changed then maybe the nrl needs to look at fixture concessions for clubs like manly to help them move to a more fitting stadium? Maybe give them preferential Saturday and Sunday fixtures to play at allianz
Aside from manly though the other six clubs mentioned could and should be playing out of the two quality stadiums in the city,

It's a combination of both.Agree more a schedule.But spacing stadiums so far apart form clubs compared to Vic is a hell of an influencing factor, when you throw in transport infrastructure.

10,000 at an average Brookvale looks a darn side better(although still looks average) than 10,000 at Allianz .

If we can get decent direct transport and scheduling to these centralised stadiums,I'd agree with you 100%.

Quicksilver

Bench
Stadium could have been refurbished for $18 million, secret report shows

Alexandra SmithMarch 21, 2019 — 12.05am

Allianz Stadium could have been upgraded to meet all safety standards for as little as $18 million, a secret report for the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust reveals.

The revelation will reignite the key election issue of stadiums for Labor leader Michael Daley as the campaign enters it final two days.

The report, prepared for the trust in May 2016, is in stark contrast to the Berejiklian government's claims that it would cost $714 million to ensure the venue met safety standards.

Rather than upgrading, the government decided to rebuild the Moore Park stadium for $729 million.

Demolition of the stadium, including ripping off the roof, is already under way, despite several attempts at legal action to stop it until after Saturday's election.

The report, by Asset Technologies Pacific and marked confidential, says Allianz Stadium could be upgraded to address "current non-compliance" for $18,153,800.

It goes on to say that Allianz would incur "minor non-compliance" issues with "each succeeding iteration of the standards, legislation and codes". But these could be easily fixed.

"These minor issues can be addressed through partial voluntary upgrades over the forthcoming 10-year period until such a time as the next major refurbishment is undertaken," the report says.

The report also says that a "critical remediation" of Allianz would cost $130 million but this would include "end of life issues" ranging from refurbishing "bathroom and public amenities" to repairing the trust's pool deck and change room and scoreboards.
The $18 million figure includes "safety and compliance" requirements ($15.5 million) and security requirements ($3.8 million), the document shows.

Mr Daley said the report "exposes once and for all their entire case for the stadium splurge to be nothing more than a sham".

“Instead they wanted a gold plated stadium. What a disgrace," he said.

Sports Minister Stuart Ayres, whose portfolio oversees the stadium and the trust, said Infrastructure NSW found that a complete rebuild of Allianz was better value for taxpayers than a refurbishment.

"This report was produced in accordance with the Legislative Council call for papers in 2018. It was then considered as part of the Upper House Public Works Committee into stadia. That committee concluded that there were significant safety and security breaches at the facility," he said.

"They recommended the full redevelopment of Sydney Football Stadium. [Labor MP] Lynda Voltz was a member of that committee.
"After an exhaustive and detailed process Infrastructure NSW (INSW) valued a refurbishment of the SFS at $714.5 million and a rebuild at $729 million. INSW also identified the option to rebuild provided better value to the taxpayer than a refurbishment."

Mr Daley stepped up his attack on the government's decision to rebuild Allianz,when he told Alan Jonesearlier this month that he would sack the broadcaster and the majority of the trust board if elected.

But this week, the focus on stadiums was overtaken as Mr Daley was dogged with questions about preference deals and comments he made about Asian students.

Mr Daley was on Wednesday forced to step up his apologyafter avideo emergedon Monday which revealed him making comments about "Asians with PhDs...moving in and taking jobs".

He made the comments in September last year before he was leader, and has said that he did not mean any offence, but was highlighting Sydney's housing affordability crisis.

"I’m not [a racist], I've never been ... I did use words I shouldn’t have, and my apology is unqualified," Mr Daley said yesterday.

Earlier in the week,Mr Daley was also repeatedly asked to explain the party's decision to swappreferences with the Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party in two regional seats.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the deal showed Labor would be under pressure to work with the Shooters to water down the state's gun laws but Mr Daley ruled that out.

"I will not be a part of a Parliament that weakens the gun laws in NSW, it will not happen if I am premier," Mr Daley said on Sunday.

"There's a big leap between what's on a how-to-vote card and what might be in legislation."

Alexandra Smith is the State Political Editor of The Sydney Morning Herald.

https://www.smh.com.au/nsw-election...lion-secret-report-shows-20190320-p515xo.html

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Not a good look for Gladys and Ayres at all, Daley will have a field day. This underscores what I and others have been saying all along. Allianz (which the public we’re generally fairly happy with anyway) should’ve been refurbished and givena spruce up, and the ANZ redevelopment undertaken first. It’s worth nothing that this had bipartisan support from both parties under Baird, until Ayers convinced Gladys otherwise. If this all turns to shit it’s on those two, and the pigs at the SCG trust trough.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Not a good look for Gladys and Ayres at all, Daley will have a field day. This underscores what I and others have been saying all along. Allianz (which the public we’re generally fairly happy with anyway) should’ve been refurbished and givena spruce up, and the ANZ redevelopment undertaken first. It’s worth nothing that this had bipartisan support from both parties under Baird, until Ayers convinced Gladys otherwise. If this all turns to shit it’s on those two.

It looked like a SCG trust pride thing and such reports show that

Not a good look for Gladys and Ayres at all, Daley will have a field day. This underscores what I and others have been saying all along. Allianz (which the public we’re generally fairly happy with anyway) should’ve been refurbished and givena spruce up, and the ANZ redevelopment undertaken first. It’s worth nothing that this had bipartisan support from both parties under Baird, until Ayers convinced Gladys otherwise. If this all turns to shit it’s on those two, and the pigs at the SCG trust trough.

The $18m is just the critical safety issues, it’s being talked about like that was the only problem with the stadium. I don’t remember anyone saying it all came down to safety. Other issues like lack of toilets, disabled facilities, female change rooms, the roof, food etc all played a big part.

Now I certainly agree that $730m stadium is over the top, but when you take into account all the issues with the stadium, a $400-500m rebuild is the better value for money. The savings could’ve been put into doing ANZ properly.

No doubt Ayres has curried favour here with the SCG trust.

Ayres deserves a lot of flak though. He’s been in bed with the trust from day one likely because he wants to built legsncy projects for himself. The trust didn’t decide to knock down Allianz first.

The trusts preference was for a knock down & rebuild on Moore park opposite. This was the plan 3/4 years ago that caused so much drama, at that point ANZ was never in the discussion.