What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Coparugby

Juniors
You should hear some of the Raiders members complain about our proposed new stadium site. If it’s going to be built it’s going to be smack bang in the middle of town, in the heart of the restaurant and nightlife precinct which will be awesome for pre and post game events. It’ll also be next to the Civic bus and light rail interchange. But because you won’t be able to drive up to the front door people are up in arms about it.

Some people are just impossible to please.
I’d love for the new stadium to be built in Canberra. I can’t see it happening anytime soon though.

Suitman

Post Whore
WSS. October 30.

EMkS87u.jpg

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Just to expand on Marlins post

7E338A3C-0A49-4E40-8A85-CC1F000A8820_zpsolj6a44q.jpg

The stadium site is blue.

Cowboys leagues is the green area.

Yellow is the main night life area

Red is a dining area with a few bars.

There is also going to be a hilton subsidiary hotel to the south of the stadium.

The location is top notch, the locals will just have to get used to coming into town for the games. The currrent shit box is out west in the largest suburb of Tvl. there will need to be a change in mindset of the locals that they’ll have commute in, I know there was a lot of people complaining about that on social media when the site was announced which was really disappointing.

Will there still be much parking? I think the Cows are a bit of a special case there as don’t they have a lot of fans who drive in from other parts of NQ for games? Come to think of it the Raiders would have that element too, as would the Knights and Warriors.

beave

Coach
Will there still be much parking? I think the Cows are a bit of a special case there as don’t they have a lot of fans who drive in from other parts of NQ for games? Come to think of it the Raiders would have that element too, as would the Knights and Warriors.

There’ll be a few car parks, the old rail yards to the east of the ground are now vacant, I don’t know what the council are doing with that land, would a sizeable car park if they went down that path. The V8 track is also next to the stadium and theres a few paddocks around it to park cars. I don’t think it will be a problem
To be honest mate.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/act-go...ml?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed

ACT government weighs up Western Sydney Stadium blueprint

Caden Helmers5 November 2018 — 2:47pm

A rebuild in the heart of Parramatta could be the key to delivering a stadium in Civic as the ACT government's plan to transform Canberra's city centre evolves.

The NRL has urged ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr to explore the prospect of building a Western Sydney Stadium-like venue in the capital, which will hold 30,000 people.

The territory government is in talks with the Australian Sports Commission about buying Canberra Stadium, which could pave the way for a redevelopment of the existing venue.

However the government could develop the land with the funds going towards a new roofed stadium in the CBD, one Canberra Raiders chief executive Don Furner and the ACT Brumbies have been longing for.

"In my most recent meeting with the NRL in relation to future stadium design and facility needs, they were very keen for us to have a look at the Parramatta Stadium rebuild that’s currently underway," Barr said.

"We’ve gone and done that, and that does present a different model for stadium delivery. It’s a much more compact footprint, much steeper, that may well be a design that could fit more comfortably into the available site of the CBD.

"We continue to engage, but I do want to stress that in terms of the sequence of larger infrastructure priorities, we are more advanced and will be delivering a new Canberra Theatre precinct before we will be delivering a new stadium."

The territory government set aside $1.8 million for upgrades to the Canberra Theatre this year, having allocated $700,000 to start developing a business case for a new theatre.

The size of the current theatre has excluded Canberra from hosting major events, so the an extension or a new centre built on the site of the Mooseheads car park have been floated as options.

Barr has reaffirmed his commitment to an expanded theatre precinct after he said the prospect of buying Canberra Stadium may not come to fruition for another decade as negotiations continue with the Australian Sports Commission.

The commission is planning to downsize the campus at Bruce and reshape the way the AIS is used by athletes, coaches and sports scientists but the future of Canberra Stadium remains unclear.

The ACT government pays $350,000 per year to rent Canberra Stadium for ACT Brumbies and Canberra Raiders matches while also spending money to use the AIS Arena and the AIS pool.

"The acquisition of that by the ACT government would provide one pathway to a stadium infrastructure renewal. [Civic Stadium] is not a short-term infrastructure priority," Barr said.

"It’s a project the territory will consider in the 2020s, but it’s not something that will feature in the coming budget round or indeed the 2020 territory budget in terms of financing a build.

"There’s virtually two options: if we’re able to secure an agreement with the Commonwealth in relation to the existing stadium and surrounding land, then that would give an option, either for a rebuild on that land or the alternate option is the site we’ve identified in the CBD.

"You wouldn’t have two rectangular stadiums in Canberra. Acquisition of the site at Bruce would allow for a number of different options.

"In terms of the pursuit of a CBD stadium, the proceeds of the sale of that land at Bruce would be directed to finance a CBD stadium. Alternatively, redevelopment in that precinct could also finance a rebuild of the existing stadium."

About $1.3 million will be spent on improving Canberra Stadium this year, and up to $3.7 million over the forward estimates, however Barr says "prior to owning that asset, we would not be investing significantly in that asset".

Barr says the government is exploring a range of options to improve the amount of shaded areas at Manuka Oval with undercover seating options at a premium.

It comes as the venue is being prepared to host a Test match between Australia and Sri Lanka from February 1, with Cricket Australia desperately eyeing a sell-out crowd following a lacklustre turnout of 1824 at the annual Prime Minister's XI fixture last week.

Barr says he raised the matter of a lack promotion with Cricket Australia after the governing body took over the management and operation of the fixture, saying it was not up to the standard of Cricket ACT's promotion in recent years.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
So it's ok for the raiders and brumbies fans to sit in the wind, rain, sleet, snow, late summer sun and so on 12 or more times each a year throughout winter, but two sports that play 3 games a year at most with one of them being in summer needs protection from the elements more than the other two?

No one can possibly be this stupid unless you are a pollie, and ffs who votes for these turds or doesn't voting really matter at all because they've already got all their clowns put in the right positions no matter who what where or when was voted.

This world really will be a clusterf**k of a place to live in within 10 years, do as we say, not as we do.

Barr, you really are a f**kwit!

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
As for the artsy partsy part that needs doing so the zombies and dreamers have something to do too, why not combine the stadium and the theatre together in the city near the lake? A world class complex for our nations Capital city, shouldn't be that hard? Develop both the former sites into something else you can squeeze the tax payer on.

Too much Victorian not enough Canberran involved.

Billythekid

First Grade
The NRL, raiders and brumbies need to campaign harder and make this a more public problem. Force the government to publicly defend their decision not to put money towards the rectangular sports which dominate the Canberra sporting landscape. Right now few people really know or care about what’s happening and no one in politics cares. So the interested parties need to fight harder.

In terms of the Foley thing I see little changing. They will still be fighting the same fight. I do see them having a bit less of a focus on stadiums as they take a back foot after the Foley incident.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL, raiders and brumbies need to campaign harder and make this a more public problem. Force the government to publicly defend their decision not to put money towards the rectangular sports which dominate the Canberra sporting landscape. Right now few people really know or care about what’s happening and no one in politics cares. So the interested parties need to fight harder.

In terms of the Foley thing I see little changing. They will still be fighting the same fight. I do see them having a bit less of a focus on stadiums as they take a back foot after the Foley incident.

Have thenru and nrl commissioned a business case for it? It’s clear where the govt’s priorities lie (afl) time for the rugby’s to alert the public and put forward a strong case for a new stadium in the city. The location of the current one sucks (though i didn’t think it was too bad a stadium when inside). Some of the sports tourism figures coming out of new stadiums like Optus must surely help? Some sweetness from the rugby’s around internationals, finals etc wouldn’t go amiss either

Latest posts