What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

seaeagle sam

He is that dense. But you better re-read what the idiot is saying.

The state government may put in $10 mil for an upgrade of Brookie This is on top of the 10 mil the Feds put in last year.

This dickhead doesn't like it at all for some reason. And he still doesn't realise/or wants to acknowledge Brookvale is owned by Warringah Council and not by MWRLFC.

Leaguelegend20

Juniors
I live in the west but work in the North, so I know that the NRL needs to play more games on the North Shore of Sydney. It is currently the only area of Sydney uncovered by a strong Rugby League catchment program. Clubs like Norths Brothers, Willoughby Roo's, Belrose & Marist have been the junior clubs for several prominent Rugby League players (Foran brothers, Mitch Pearce) etc, yet there is very little done to develop the game there. Although Manly could not do it as it would spark further antagonism with Norths, a fairly neutral NRL team should bring a game to the North of Sydney once a season. Great way to strength league in a region where it has been dying since 1999.

reanimate

Bench
I live in the west but work in the North, so I know that the NRL needs to play more games on the North Shore of Sydney. It is currently the only area of Sydney uncovered by a strong Rugby League catchment program. Clubs like Norths Brothers, Willoughby Roo's, Belrose & Marist have been the junior clubs for several prominent Rugby League players (Foran brothers, Mitch Pearce) etc, yet there is very little done to develop the game there. Although Manly could not do it as it would spark further antagonism with Norths, a fairly neutral NRL team should bring a game to the North of Sydney once a season. Great way to strength league in a region where it has been dying since 1999.

Belrose is a Northern Beaches club. Those North Shore clubs play in the Manly comp, yet the area isn't Manly's to develop. It's idiocy, the Bears need to be ignored for the good of the area.

Leaguelegend20

Juniors
Belrose is a Northern Beaches club. Those North Shore clubs play in the Manly comp, yet the area isn't Manly's to develop. It's idiocy, the Bears need to be ignored for the good of the area.

I wasn't as much suggesting a reinvigoration of the Bears, but merely a more concentrated effort to develop the heart of the North Shore. As you said, it is not Manlys responsibility to ensure the development of League in areas out of their catchment. Therefore, the NRL should step in to ensure such a vital part of Sydney is not lost to Rugby Union or Soccer.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Id love to know the specific politics that keeps the Sea Eagles out of North Sydney...

The Bear alone couldnt possibly have the power to enforce something like that, and and Gallop's NRl would never have been proactive enough to block it even if they wanted to.

I could only imagine NSWRL doing this, but i just cant imagine THEIR motive for doing something like this....

(Then again, maybe Manly are just lazy and the Bears a a convenient excuse... :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:)

reanimate

Bench
Id love to know the specific politics that keeps the Sea Eagles out of North Sydney...

The Bear alone couldnt possibly have the power to enforce something like that, and and Gallop's NRl would never have been proactive enough to block it even if they wanted to.

I could only imagine NSWRL doing this, but i just cant imagine THEIR motive for doing something like this....

(Then again, maybe Manly are just lazy and the Bears a a convenient excuse... :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:)

Back when Manly last tried to push hard into the NS (I.e. fairly recently), Gallop was in the ear of the Bears bid encouraging them along and making it sound like their re-entrance was a done deal, so they kicked up as big a stink as they could about Manly trying to enter the NS, went whining to the NSWRL, played up district boundaries etc and tried to make it as hard/unpleasant as possible. The NRL has shown no governance on the issue, until we maybe got a glimpse of what their future plans are when they allowed the Roosters to link with the CC.

RWB

Bench
He is that dense. But you better re-read what the idiot is saying.

The state government may put in $10 mil for an upgrade of Brookie This is on top of the 10 mil the Feds put in last year.

This dickhead doesn't like it at all for some reason. And he still doesn't realise/or wants to acknowledge Brookvale is owned by Warringah Council and not by MWRLFC.

The proposed upgrades to Brookvale do seem to be quite underwhelming. Manly need to find a long term home & I'm not convinced throwing 20mil into Brookvale is the answer.

TheRam

Coach
http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/city-complex-a-top-priority/2334246/

Stadium and convention centre to be on Fitzroy River bank

Show More
.articleImage.small { clear: both; width: 300px !important; float: left; } .articleImage.right { float: right; margin: 0 0 20px 20px !important; } .articleImage.large { width: 620px !important; }
9-2427637-rok290714plan1_fct1024x768_t460.jpg
Proposed CQ NRL Bid stadium, leagues club and convention centre plan - Populous
SHAUN Gallagher believes the time is now for Rockhampton to build a stadium and convention centre.
He represented Populous, the lead consultants behind the design for the proposed $150million complex, during a deputation to Rockhampton councillors yesterday.
"I think the time is now for Rockhampton," Mr Gallagher said.
"I think you're crying out for (a stadium and convention centre).
"The convention centre is an important part of the facility."
He said he only had to look around at Rockhampton's neighbouring regional cities to view how their convention centres were thriving.
CRUNCHING THE NUMBERS ON THE PROPOSED CENTRE
1000: the jobs expected to be created during the construction of the complex
1000: how many seats the convention centre would have
20,000: how many seats the stadium would have
150 million: how much the complex is proposed to cost
745 million: how much the project is expected to generate over five years
There was no doubting councillors agreed with Mr Gallagher, with council unanimously voting to making the stadium and convention centre one of its highest priorities.
Council also endorsed Populous's conclusion that the sporting precinct along the Fitzroy River, only three blocks from the CBD, as the best place for the facility.
With tennis, lawn bowls, swimming and basketball facilities surrounding the proposed site, Mr Gallagher said he felt they were really "bookending" the already existing sporting precinct.
He described the area as a "hard play area".
But parents need not be worried it will be all about "hard play", with the popular Victoria Park on Huish Dve to remain.
.articleImage.small { clear: both; width: 300px !important; float: left; } .articleImage.right { float: right; margin: 0 0 20px 20px !important; } .articleImage.large { width: 620px !important; }
RMB_17-07-2014_ON_RECORD_01_Cam%203_new%20sign_fct672x504x162_t620.jpg
PULLING POWER: An artist?s impression of the 1000-seat convention centre and 20, 000-seat stadium for Rockhampton. The construction could create 1000 full time jobs. Contributed
Although the CQ Leagues Club would be incorporated into the existing facility, Mr Gallagher explained it might become a viewing deck overlooking the river.
CQ NRL Bid chair Geoff Murphy also joined Mr Gallagher for the deputation.
Using $500,000 of Federal Government funding, the CQ NRL Bid committee hired the internationally-
renowned sporting architects as the lead consultants to investigate sites and design the facility.
Populous also engaged three other consultants for urban and business planning, and flood modelling.

What a great proposal and fantastic long term for the game.

cleary89

Coach
Only 60k live there... I know there's places around like Yeppoon and stuff, but couldn't see it being sold out too much from the get go.

big hit!

Bench
The proposed upgrades to Brookvale do seem to be quite underwhelming. Manly need to find a long term home & I'm not convinced throwing 20mil into Brookvale is the answer.

Brookvale Oval is only marginally better than Leichhardt Oval. It belongs in the era of players working full-time on the job-site and training 3 nights a week, and the half-time recovery puff on a winfield blue.

Some of these clubs should have ensured their futures within their community by purchasing their home grounds back in the day. Unfortunately, football clubs operated on the smell of an oily rag, and what they received in funding from leagues clubs was the bare minimum needed to operate for the season (inc juniors). The rest of the alcoholic and gambling contributions were re-invested to build bigger pokie dens. Much of that revenue is now taxed to the shit.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
That's not how you plan for the future, Barr, you fumbleball f**kwit.

Good luck trying to get any soccer games or RL/RU internationals ever played in the national capital if that's the capacity.

I'm sure he won't mind though, he can give the tens of millions in savings to a Sydney AFL team to play a match per year in Canberra instead...

that's not a good idea - reducing the new stadium to 20,000 (with an option to increase it to 30,000). It is a step backwards.

Sure, crowd numbers are down over the last few years, but then there were times when crowd numbers were great. What happens when the Raiders start playing well again and crowd numbers get high again? They will then waste more money adding in an extra 10k seats on the new 20k stadium.

And playing the rare international game (of any code) down there will now become even rarer because of the smaller stadium!

CC_Roosters

First Grade
that's not a good idea - reducing the new stadium to 20,000 (with an option to increase it to 30,000). It is a step backwards.

Sure, crowd numbers are down over the last few years, but then there were times when crowd numbers were great. What happens when the Raiders start playing well again and crowd numbers get high again? They will then waste more money adding in an extra 10k seats on the new 20k stadium.

And playing the rare international game (of any code) down there will now become even rarer because of the smaller stadium!

20k is enough for both brumbies and raiders regular games. The article says it has the option of increasing to 30k for event matches which would be fine for finals and internationals. Canberra just needs a good quality enclosed stadium not a white elephant with 20,000 empty seats every week. This proposal is fine imo so long as it is only rectangular which I think it will be Barr is talking about a membership to both grounds one for alf cricket and the other for league union and soccer

Perth Red

Post Whore
Doesn't sound promising if you can put in ten thousand temp seats, likely the fixed seats will be a fair ways back from the action to accommodate that? Main thing for Canberra is that it is roofed and protected from elements. Better a 20k roofed than a 30k open. Given it is highly unlikely raiders will be challenging the 20k capacity anytime soon I wouldn't think it is a bad size.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Doesn't sound promising if you can put in ten thousand temp seats, likely the fixed seats will be a fair ways back from the action to accommodate that? Main thing for Canberra is that it is roofed and protected from elements. Better a 20k roofed than a 30k open. Given it is highly unlikely raiders will be challenging the 20k capacity anytime soon I wouldn't think it is a bad size.

Canberra has only been over a 15k average twice, and only 16 times in the history of the club have they broken the 20k mark for a crowd.

One would imagine a covered stadium gives them a much greater chance to build crowds, so (IMO) 20k is too few, it should be 25k. Don't know what the 10k temporary seats would entail, but at least it sounds like they have an option for the bigger games.