What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Billythekid

First Grade
Getting a covered stadium for Canberra is far more important than having lots of seats. If ever they reach the point where they're regularly filling the stadium i wouldn't consider that a bad thing. If our goal is to reach a 20K crowd average not every team necessarily has to average above that.

I mean i think 25K is probably the perfect number but i'm happy with 20K.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Getting a covered stadium for Canberra is far more important than having lots of seats. If ever they reach the point where they're regularly filling the stadium i wouldn't consider that a bad thing. If our goal is to reach a 20K crowd average not every team necessarily has to average above that.

I mean i think 25K is probably the perfect number but i'm happy with 20K.

They'll really struggle to average 20K in a 25K stadium.

You need the big outliers (derby games, finals matches, etc) to up the average.

Stinkler

Juniors
The other thing with the Canberra stadium is that it is set for Civic, not Bruce.
Heaps more people will go into the city to watch and then kick on for a night out, rather than driving out to Bruce in the middle of nowhere.

Needs 25,000 as a minimum.

Billythekid

First Grade
They'll really struggle to average 20K in a 25K stadium.

You need the big outliers (derby games, finals matches, etc) to up the average.

The aim is for the NRL to average 20K, we don't need every team to reach that mark to achieve that (and lets face it the raiders aren't going to be reaching that mark any time in the forseeable future).

One thing i will say is that if they go for only 20K it really hurts there chances of being able to attract more rep games down there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tbf there are so few internationals that it wouldn't be a great investment for one international every 5-10 years!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well I doubt wallabies are going to play in a 25k stadium and Canberra would be well down the pecking order for. Soccerroos match so what other sport are you thinking a 25k stadium is going to attract?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
From a Raiders POV, a relatively small stadium (20,000ish) with absolutely premium facilities (roof, view, bars, ect.) would be better than average facilities with a large capacity.

With a low capacity, in such a prime location, the scarcity will be a good thing. If they start to sell out a few games, they can develop a cycle of fans NEEDING to buy early or need to buy tickets to a few games just to ensure they get this one...

Billythekid

First Grade
Well I doubt wallabies are going to play in a 25k stadium and Canberra would be well down the pecking order for. Soccerroos match so what other sport are you thinking a 25k stadium is going to attract?

Maybe not their big drawing matches but i think a 25K stadium is at least a bit more reasonable for a wallabies match (they struggle to draw that much in Sydney now anyway).

Their may not be a huge amount of matches to get but any is better than none. That plus it hurts the crwods if burmbies or raiders ever make a finals series. Like i said i don't think it's 100% necessary but i do think it's a negative that it would pretty much right off the stadium for international matches (outside of ones like England vs France).

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I think the issue is that this appears to be a deliberate move by a politician openly hostile to sports other than his favoured one, and looking to use his position to create harm.

That is the impression one takes from that article.

parramaniac2516

Juniors
To this day I consider the best ground to watch rugby league at is Suncorp stadium. Parramatta stadium is very similar in the layout and if they revamp the stadium to be like suncorp I.e. add a roof and grandstands on the hills it could be the best rectangular ground in Sydney. Anz is a terrible ground to watch football at unless its full.

nomis88

Juniors
Parra Stadium was a much better ground when you could watch from the hills at either end. All they need to do is pull down those stupid barriers at each end so people can stand or sit on the hill and actually see the game. The capacity would be increased and people would actually have a choice of seats or a hill. I know this will never happen as hills are a no no, especially in the wild west.

Western_Eel

Juniors
I think SFS is a great stadium there's just not enough easts supporters to fill it.

heres my answer- no need to build any new stadiums just Swap SFS for parramatta stadium problem solved

alien

Referee
Parra Stadium was a much better ground when you could watch from the hills at either end. All they need to do is pull down those stupid barriers at each end so people can stand or sit on the hill and actually see the game. The capacity would be increased and people would actually have a choice of seats or a hill.

This.

Can't believe there are still people out there that want hills. Such a bogan aspect of our game that makes us look so damn amateur.

Billythekid

First Grade
Can't believe there are still people out there that want hills. Such a bogan aspect of our game that makes us look so damn amateur.

Hills are awesome and it's one of the reasons i love Newcastle stadium. You have the best of both worlds. I also don't see what's bogan about setting up on the grass on the hill with your family to watch the footy. Is it bogan to sit on the hill and watch your kids play at the local ground?

I can see the argument that perhaps it doesn't look professional but i don't see why it's bogan. Grounds like Brookvale are holding us back somewhat but having grass areas to sit at stadiums like Newcastle or Parra are hardly holding us back.