What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Perth Red

Post Whore
Drop the seats in and fill it and it'll be fine. 70k for a SOO would be awesome for the game here.
Not ideal but it's an afl city and they are building an afl stadium. Fortunately nib will be fine for the day to day NRL games, especially if we get a club and start selling it out to justify phase 2 of the redevelopment.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Seizing a full Newcastle stadium, that should be the blueprint for redeveloped parramatta for western clubs. Great stadium that creates a great atmosphere and nice balance between modern stadium and suburban style ground. Looks very good corporate facilities and a good capacity for club games.

Diesel

Referee
Whatever happens with the future of NRL stadiums in Sydney, Monday night games should be played at surburban grounds where possible

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whatever happens with the future of NRL stadiums in Sydney, Monday night games should be played at surburban grounds where possible

Crowds are shite for Monday night regardless, 10k at tonight's suburban ground. We just need to not be playing on a Monday night.

bobmar28

Bench
Seizing a full Newcastle stadium, that should be the blueprint for redeveloped parramatta for western clubs. Great stadium that creates a great atmosphere and nice balance between modern stadium and suburban style ground. Looks very good corporate facilities and a good capacity for club games.

Ever tried getting to that place? Let alone parking. It's the wrong place for a footy stadium.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I agree, but WITH the ends as well to really hold in the atmosphere (or, if you want to keep the hill, at least one end enclosed)

691639-newcastle-stadium.jpg

Swarzey

Bench
Ever tried getting to that place? Let alone parking. It's the wrong place for a footy stadium.

It could be better if more investment went into the roads around the stadium. Easier access to and from the stadium from Griffith's road and a multi-story car park in the field across from it and you're pretty sweet when it comes to access.

---

Anyways, just got back from ANZ and I don't think I can say this comfortably given I don't go to the place very often, but the complaints about it are pretty exaggerated. The funding that's going into the stadium should go towards removing two of the corner screens and adding seats in those spaces, adding a tier like the north side to the south end, replacing the north and south roof's material to allow natural light and freshening up the screens.

Bringing the ends closer to the action would of course be nice, but it really wouldn't improve the experience as much as people want to believe it would.

Just my view on the whole thing.

big hit!

Bench
Crowds are shite for Monday night regardless, 10k at tonight's suburban ground. We just need to not be playing on a Monday night.

OT, but the the match scheduling shits me. Major reason for me not getting into the comp much more.

Yeah, yeah. It's all about TV ratings. TV ratings lead to bigger rights deals.

Well, I'm putting it out there - the major Aussie football leagues are amateur comps with a TV deal.

What drives interest from the lounge room is the look and sound of big crowds at the games.

The AFL is suffering this season from a decrease in crowds. All matches are now broadcast live against the gate. A decrease in crowds has led to ho-hum interest in the comp based on previous years.

The schedule is too fragmented and strung out. Condense it more so folks don't have to waste an entire weekend to watch games (or keep up with the comp), and the interest will generate from it. The schedule at the moment is purely content driven for the networks.

Thu 2000 x 1 (much better than Mon night)
Fri 2000 x 1
Sat 1930 x 2
Sun 1230 x 2
Sun 1500 x 2

malleekid

Juniors
http://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2014/07/29/decision_soon_on_design_for_stadium_of_the_future.html

Decision Soon on Design For Stadium of the Future

Bulldogs fans will be among the big winners in a planned $350 million redevelopment of their home ground ANZ Stadium. Here is an update on the redevelopment.

A FULLY covered arena with a retractable roof, a reconfigured lower seating bowl that brings fans as close as 5m to the action, and new bars, cafes and restaurants both inside and outside the Stadium.

The Bulldogs’ home ground ANZ Stadium will become one of the world’s most cutting-edge sporting venues under a design transformation devised by an international construction consortium.

Stadium Australia Operations Pty Ltd, operator of ANZ Stadium, expects to be in a position in the near future to announce the consortium chosen to redevelop the venue that was purpose-built for the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games.

Construction giants Brookfield Multiplex and Laing O’Rourke were among consortiums that made a shortlist following a process in which companies were invited to express interest in redeveloping ANZ Stadium and its surrounding precinct at Sydney Olympic Park.

Brookfield Multiplex and Laing O’Rourke have both provided detailed designs, outlined full costs of the proposed scope of works, provided construction methodology, and a full timing schedule for the construction process.

Full article in link

Billythekid

First Grade
It could be better if more investment went into the roads around the stadium. Easier access to and from the stadium from Griffith's road and a multi-story car park in the field across from it and you're pretty sweet when it comes to access.

Doesn't worry me as i don't mind a bit of a walk (train stations are easily close enough for me). Having said that i now live within walking distance of the stadium which is really awesome.

Agree about ANZ too, i actually like it there. Only problem is how empty it tends to be but even then it doesn't worry me.

RWB

Bench
ANZ has its issues but 350k to fix up the stadium? Really?

Seems like a waste to me.

Crowd growth needs to be across the board, reeks of throwing all the eggs into one basket.

oikee

Juniors
Yes again the NRL really lack vision and seem intent on playing small suburban clubs at a 80 thousand white elephant.
They are clueless to what they really need.
A 50 thousand stadium, out west, with cover and in the middle of 4-5 teams is what they needed, but now they are commited to this white elephant which is killing, killing Sydney teams atmospheres and forcing teams to play in front of 10 thousand crowds on Monday and Thursday nites.

Now after Manly have had 10 years at the top of the league, they are still looking for government handouts for another white elephant which wont grow crowds for the code.
The code is clueless, and Sydney teams continue to drag the game backwards, while big cities in other states rust on fans to all the other codes while league stagnates and goes backward.

Shire Panther

Juniors
http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/city-complex-a-top-priority/2334246/

Stadium and convention centre to be on Fitzroy River bank

Show More
.articleImage.small { clear: both; width: 300px !important; float: left; } .articleImage.right { float: right; margin: 0 0 20px 20px !important; } .articleImage.large { width: 620px !important; }
9-2427637-rok290714plan1_fct1024x768_t460.jpg
Proposed CQ NRL Bid stadium, leagues club and convention centre plan - Populous
SHAUN Gallagher believes the time is now for Rockhampton to build a stadium and convention centre.
He represented Populous, the lead consultants behind the design for the proposed $150million complex, during a deputation to Rockhampton councillors yesterday.
"I think the time is now for Rockhampton," Mr Gallagher said.
"I think you're crying out for (a stadium and convention centre).
"The convention centre is an important part of the facility."
He said he only had to look around at Rockhampton's neighbouring regional cities to view how their convention centres were thriving.
CRUNCHING THE NUMBERS ON THE PROPOSED CENTRE
1000: the jobs expected to be created during the construction of the complex
1000: how many seats the convention centre would have
20,000: how many seats the stadium would have
150 million: how much the complex is proposed to cost
745 million: how much the project is expected to generate over five years
There was no doubting councillors agreed with Mr Gallagher, with council unanimously voting to making the stadium and convention centre one of its highest priorities.
Council also endorsed Populous's conclusion that the sporting precinct along the Fitzroy River, only three blocks from the CBD, as the best place for the facility.
With tennis, lawn bowls, swimming and basketball facilities surrounding the proposed site, Mr Gallagher said he felt they were really "bookending" the already existing sporting precinct.
He described the area as a "hard play area".
But parents need not be worried it will be all about "hard play", with the popular Victoria Park on Huish Dve to remain.
.articleImage.small { clear: both; width: 300px !important; float: left; } .articleImage.right { float: right; margin: 0 0 20px 20px !important; } .articleImage.large { width: 620px !important; }
RMB_17-07-2014_ON_RECORD_01_Cam%203_new%20sign_fct672x504x162_t620.jpg
PULLING POWER: An artist’s impression of the 1000-seat convention centre and 20, 000-seat stadium for Rockhampton. The construction could create 1000 full time jobs. Contributed
Although the CQ Leagues Club would be incorporated into the existing facility, Mr Gallagher explained it might become a viewing deck overlooking the river.
CQ NRL Bid chair Geoff Murphy also joined Mr Gallagher for the deputation.
Using $500,000 of Federal Government funding, the CQ NRL Bid committee hired the internationally-
renowned sporting architects as the lead consultants to investigate sites and design the facility.
Populous also engaged three other consultants for urban and business planning, and flood modelling.

oikee

Juniors
This is wonderful forward thinking from Rockhampton. Now if they had any real sense they would not try to get a expansion team into the NRL, they would be better off bringing NRL games to the region, play their Q-cup side out of the stadium, and also try to buy the Q-Cup final, instead of at Suncorp where they barely get 10 thousand.
Rocky has a real chance of turning this stadium into a great events stadium and tie up the Q-Cup.

If they are waiting for action by the NRL, they be waiting another century.
Hope they dont get wind of the AFL or the stadium be round and another wasted opportunity for league boffoons.

??? 150 million for 20 thousand stadium and facilities in a country town.
Surely funding Manly who still cant afford to fix their own run-down facilities is another wrong bet by our code, our government, our board.
While we play in the suburbs, major cites are taking the spotlight off our code, our players, our rundown bogtracks. (Manly).
Now Krillich has come out and try to say Suncorp is a dump. ??
No wonder our code goes backwards.

Last edited:

seanoff

Juniors
This is wonderful forward thinking from Rockhampton. Now if they had any real sense they would not try to get a expansion team into the NRL, they would be better off bringing NRL games to the region, play their Q-cup side out of the stadium, and also try to buy the Q-Cup final, instead of at Suncorp where they barely get 10 thousand.
Rocky has a real chance of turning this stadium into a great events stadium and tie up the Q-Cup.

If they are waiting for action by the NRL, they be waiting another century.
Hope they dont get wind of the AFL or the stadium be round and another wasted opportunity for league boffoons.

??? 150 million for 20 thousand stadium and facilities in a country town.
Surely funding Manly who still cant afford to fix their own run-down facilities is another wrong bet by our code, our government, our board.
While we play in the suburbs, major cites are taking the spotlight off our code, our players, our rundown bogtracks. (Manly).
Now Krillich has come out and try to say Suncorp is a dump. ??
No wonder our code goes backwards.

You can't be that dense.

Anyone funding this thing in rocky is not giving money to manly, EVER. Wrong state, wrong state govt, wrong local council.

The NRL do not have the loot to fund even an upgrade to brookie. Now you want the qld govt to fund a project in nsw :sarcasm: