What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hills have no place in a comp that wants to be a tier one competition. What stadiums here need more than anything is roofs with drip lines past the seats, it seems Australian architects struggle with this design concept.

steeden.

Juniors
There's a piece on Brisbane Times today talking about the NQ Fury, and there is a little tidbit about the Qld Governent announcing soon that they will be building that new stadium for the Cowboys. It's supposedly going to cost $200m and be completed in 2017

m.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/soccer/local-support-the-key-to-north-queensland-furys-bid-for-reentry-to-aleague-20140824-107tbl.html

oldmancraigy

Coach
Is it bogan to sit on the hill and watch your kids play at the local ground?

Yes.

Hills are awesome and it's one of the reasons i love Newcastle stadium. You have the best of both worlds. I also don't see what's bogan about setting up on the grass on the hill with your family to watch the footy.

Hmmmmm, starting to see the issue here?

I can see the argument that perhaps it doesn't look professional but i don't see why it's bogan. Grounds like Brookvale are holding us back somewhat but having grass areas to sit at stadiums like Newcastle or Parra are hardly holding us back.

Newcastle is a great stadium.
Parra is far from it (lower capacity than Brookvale, and almost as dated). Great design in terms of getting fan 'on top' of the action, but needs 10k more seats.

carcharias

Immortal
Can't believe there are still people out there that want hills. Such a bogan aspect of our game that makes us look so damn amateur.

At shark park, part of the hill is alcohol free .
Parents sit on blankets while their kids can run around or go on the jumping castle .
Is that bogan?

Hills make rl look like a amateur pub sport that has to be phased out soon. No other pro comp in the world have hill. Hopefully the new cbd stadium is a mini suncorp for Cowboys and fury. Suncorp is the benchmark stadium in rl.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Suncorp is the creme de la creme not the benchmark IMO. Not many places are going to affor build a suncorp or need a stadium that size. I would say for a new RL stadium aami is the benchmark and for a refurb Newcastle is the benchmark.

Canard

Immortal
Hills make rl look like a amateur pub sport that has to be phased out soon. No other pro comp in the world have hill. Hopefully the new cbd stadium is a mini suncorp for Cowboys and fury. Suncorp is the benchmark stadium in rl.

AAMI Park should be the benchmark for Townsville.

That would be spectacular for the Cowboys.

Robina is a good stadium also, just in a shit spot.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
AAMI Park should be the benchmark for Townsville.

That would be spectacular for the Cowboys.

Robina is a good stadium also, just in a shit spot.

i have heard this a few times, but when i look on google earth its close to a train station and the motorway. SO whats he story and why is it viewed like you said?

Perth Red

Post Whore
i have heard this a few times, but when i look on google earth its close to a train station and the motorway. SO whats he story and why is it viewed like you said?

Maybe it has nothing near by in terms of bars and cafés?

Aami you can walk from south bank
Suncorp Caxton street
Allianz Oxford street
Nib northbridge

Which other stadiums have pubs and food near by?

At shark park, part of the hill is alcohol free .
Parents sit on blankets while their kids can run around or go on the jumping castle .
Is that bogan?

The fact that there is space to roll out a blanket, have a jumping castle and have kids running around shows that there is f**k all people using it.

And what about in the rain? Considering a lot of NRL games are rain affected it almost negates the need for a hill.

And yes it's bogan. Kids should be in their god damn seats.

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
It's not bogan to have kids running around on the hill. It does however make the club look incredibly amatuer and by extension makes the NRL (remember this is not only our national comp but also the world's biggest rugby comp) look less professional.

Suncorp Caxton street
Allianz Oxford street
Nib northbridge

Like PR said, it needs a Leagues club next to the stadium for before/after game celebrations. Since the tram extension won't be built for a while a car park might make it easier for some fans to get there aswell, in saying that the trip down from Bris and getting a train there is dead easy.

goodplayer

Juniors

Suncorp Caxton street
Allianz Oxford street
Nib northbridge

kogarah jubilee oval has the dragons leagues club across the road . 2 min walk :p

nomis88

Juniors
Of course it's much more professional to see thousands and thousands of empty seats when there are 12,000 people in an 80,000 capacity stadium. The point about Parramatta is that there is a hill sitting there doing nothing at each end with stupid barriers in front of it. By simply removing the barriers you increase the capacity. It was great in the 80's and 90's but now it's much better to look at empty seats at the Homebush Graveyard where there is no atmosphere at all, Games at Leichhardt are 10 times better on tele than at the Homebush Graveyard. Having no hills anywhere is like putting Russell Smith in charge of a stop clock.

Canard

Immortal

It's like they designed it solely to cater for people coming from Brisbane by train, but it's terrible to get to from the Gold Coast. It has very little bars or places to go before or after either.

Good stadiums should be located downtown like AAMI or the G.

gallagher

Juniors
Of course it's much more professional to see thousands and thousands of empty seats when there are 12,000 people in an 80,000 capacity stadium. The point about Parramatta is that there is a hill sitting there doing nothing at each end with stupid barriers in front of it. By simply removing the barriers you increase the capacity. It was great in the 80's and 90's but now it's much better to look at empty seats at the Homebush Graveyard where there is no atmosphere at all, Games at Leichhardt are 10 times better on tele than at the Homebush Graveyard. Having no hills anywhere is like putting Russell Smith in charge of a stop clock.

Yeah that 7000 at Leichhardt last week really made the game.

Latest posts