What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

BlueandGold

Juniors
The GWS gaints do not have 11k ticketed members...............its more like 2-3k, have a look at this graph.

07Footy_membership-300x0.jpg

The Swans claim to be the biggest club in Sydney..................they only have 15k full season ticketed members, the WSW will have 16k and 3k on a waiting list.

How many season memberships has Souths sold?

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Spectators rising to their feet to witness a miracle Manly try have been blamed for an NRL timekeeper missing referee Matt Cecchin signalling time-off in the dramatic final minute at Brookvale Oval on Sunday.
Fairfax Media has learnt the timekeeper – who is a casual NRL employee – was forced to stand on a chair inside the timekeeping box at Brookvale Oval because his view from within the main grandstand was obstructed when fans rose from their seats as Tom Symonds scored the match-winning try against the Panthers. It is understood the error cost the Panther up to 14 seconds of staging an unlikely comeback.
Penrith skipper Jamie Soward labelled the failure for the clock to stop as "disgraceful" as Symonds scored with 68 seconds remaining. Soward believed that time should have been stopped well before it eventually was – with 11 seconds left.
Cecchin told Soward on the field that he had asked time to be stopped 15 seconds earlier.
An NRL spokesman said Cecchin should have blown his whistle when he signalled time off after the dramatic final moments of the match were reviewed on Monday.
"Following the final try by Tom Symonds, the referee called and signalled time off without blowing the whistle," the spokesman said. "However, because of the immense noise from the crowd and slightly obstructed view, there was a delay of approximately 10 to 14 seconds before the timekeeper became aware time off had been called and stopped the clock.
"The NRL is encouraging referees to blow their whistles when signalling time off in similar situations in the future to ensure they can be more easily heard."
There is one NRL-appointed timekeeper at each match. Manly and Penrith officials refused to comment as the fallout from the Sea Eagles 26-25 win continued. Manly scored two tries in the final three minutes ensuring the minor premiership is now within their grasp after trailing by 16 points at one stage to the Panthers.
Timekeeping and sirens have been an ongoing problem for match officials this season.
Manly were involved in another timekeeping debacle in April at Leichhardt Oval when they were able to manage a final play in the first half, and score a try through skipper Jamie Lyon, despite the clock having counted down to zero.
Tigers skipper Robbie Farah again took aim at the match officials in April, "The same thing happened to us last week," Farah said. "He said he didn't hear it, but that's not good enough. They can't just keep coming up with those errors week in, week out. They've got to be better.
"We were lucky today that it didn't cost us but it's going to cost a team a big game. Not hearing it is not a good enough excuse."
A week later the NRL were left red-faced when the Dragons were robbed of victory against Melbourne when the Storm's Young Tonumaipea played the ball after the game clock had elapsed, and they went on to score a match winner after an extended movement.
In that instance, it was a referee error after the siren sounded less than a second before Melbourne played the ball. The two competition points have essentially cost St George Illawarra an opportunity of pressing for a top eight spot.
Timekeepers were given an increased role following the Melbourne debacle, the officials now verbally counting down the final seconds into the on-field referees' ear pieces. The NRL was forced to defend a ground manager last month after allegations he had told a ballboy he had cost Parramatta victory against Canterbury. Instead, the NRL said he had explained the 40/20 rule to the ballboys at the completion of that match but had not abused them in any way.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ute-action-20140901-10b0pn.html#ixzz3C76fMiv9

------------------

I do love outdated facilities...

Diesel

Referee
I read an article today & can't find it now (was at work filling in time trying to look busy) but it said ANZ is getting a roof out on it starting construction at the end of 2016 and the stadium upgrade will last until the 2018 season, but it also mentioned that the Swans' agreement to play at that ground expires at the end of 2016 (when the upgrade begins). Unless it's posted earlier and I've missed it, is ANZ actually getting an upgrade

Perth Red

Post Whore
What a fantastic TV spectacle the Brookvale game was. Oh hang on I just remembered, that was a hill wasn't it so it must have been terrible. Much better to look at tens of thousands of empty seats and no atmosphere at the Homebush mausoleum!!!!!.

Again ÿour comparing sht with shter! No it didn't look great, it looked like something you'd expect to see I if you were wTching a winfield cup game from the 80's. A packed suncorp, aami, hunter etc looks fantastic. A packed brookvale looks sht, an empty anz looks sht. Get some decent stadiums built for your number one sport Sydney!

oldmancraigy

Coach
The GWS gaints do not have 11k ticketed members...............its more like 2-3k, have a look at this graph.

07Footy_membership-300x0.jpg

The graph shows 11608 ticketed members..... it is just that most of them dont have tickets to every single game!

Their average crowd is 2000 lower than that number :lol:

pHyR3

Juniors
I was in the city, and went past wenworth park.

Looks like a pretty damn good location, lands already there. Why not put up a 40k stadium there?

Tenants could be South Sydney, Tigers and maybe Dragons. Have some express trains from campbelltown for tigers games and buses from woolongong/balmain. 20 min walk from Town Hall, have some more buses running for those that might need it.

It'd be one of the best uses of these 50 mil profits they're raking in. Put aside 20-30 mil next year for this stadium, lobby for gvmt funding and by 2018-19 we'd have a world class stadium that would allow tigers to average 20k, souths 30k in years they make the 4.

Also continue with Penrith, Manly and Parra upgrades (especially the eels). And you'd see crowds easily pass 20k by 2020.

DC_fan

Coach

Looks like a pretty damn good location, lands already there. Why not put up a 40k stadium there?

Tenants could be South Sydney, Tigers and maybe Dragons. Have some express trains from campbelltown for tigers games and buses from woolongong/balmain. 20 min walk from Town Hall, have some more buses running for those that might need it.

Oh the traffic and the parking

pHyR3

Juniors
Oh the traffic and the parking

ah good point.

theres large fields next door, turn that into a carpark. Although i suspect environmental lobbyists wouldnt be too pleased.

how does melbourne and brissy cope with large stadiums near the city then? probably have better infrastructure than sydney, but still. 50k games near CBD on a friday would surely cripple traffic nearby just like it would at wentworth.

Last edited:

goodplayer

Juniors

It'd be one of the best uses of these 50 mil profits they're raking in. Put aside 20-30 mil next year for this stadium, lobby for gvmt funding and by 2018-19 we'd have a world class stadium that would allow tigers to average 20k, souths 30k in years they make the 4.

Also continue with Penrith, Manly and Parra upgrades (especially the eels). And you'd see crowds easily pass 20k by 2020.
high rise flats, units, shopping centres westfield style . more profit that way :p

goodplayer

Juniors
I read an article today & can't find it now (was at work filling in time trying to look busy) but it said ANZ is getting a roof out on it starting construction at the end of 2016 and the stadium upgrade will last until the 2018 season, but it also mentioned that the Swans' agreement to play at that ground expires at the end of 2016 (when the upgrade begins). Unless it's posted earlier and I've missed it, is ANZ actually getting an upgrade

yes sydney olympic stadium roof, and SFS roof , :p

Perth Red

Post Whore
You could put the $3-400 million a new 40k stadium would cost to better use IMO.

Put a roof on Allianz - souths, roosters dragons $200mill
Develop parra stadium to 35k decent stadium - bulldogs, wests, parra $200mill
Then new decent main stands providing 12-15k undercover seats for the three suburban clubs - manly, Penrith and sharks. That gives them three 25k stadiums with around 20k seats. - $210mill

That would pretty much sort everyone out in Sydney for $6-700mill

If our little state can spend $2bill on sporting facilities I am sure nsw can find $700mill for their main sport over next 5 years.

Timbo

Staff member
The new stadium in Canberra will now not be built till 2025 at the earliest due to the cost of clearing up asbestos in Canberra, which has been forecast to cost upward of $300 million.

It's a bummer, because a new stadium would be great for both the Raiders and Brumbies.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Looks f**ken nice.
Guess the pics are related to this article?

Hopefully with the NRL partly funding it it means NQ won't have the same issues the GC had with their stadium.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.a...cbd-superstadium/story-fnjfzyqo-1227058352909

NRL reveals vision for cbd superstadium
LIAM BUTTERWORTH AND JOSH ALSTON
TOWNSVILLE BULLETIN
SEPTEMBER 15, 2014 12:00AM

THE National Rugby League has committed to help fund the Townsville CBD super stadium and has released an advanced concept for the 25,000-seat arena.

In the strongest indication yet that the stadium is close to going ahead, NRL chief executive David Smith toured the proposed Ross Creek site on Saturday and said there could be no better location for the project.

Mr Smith (pictured) was in Townsville for the Cowboys’ elimination final win against the Brisbane Broncos and displayed concept art for the stadium in the club’s corporate suite.

The artwork shows a horseshoe-shaped stadium with an open end that can later be converted to more seating to boost capacity to 30,000.

With the designs near complete, the Bulletin understands the NRL plans to contribute about $10 million towards the stadium project, which is expected to cost about $186 million.

The stadium is part of a precinct being planned, which would include an integrated entertainment and convention centre and a centre of sporting excellence.

The total cost for the precinct is estimated at $316 million.

It is understood the State Government is poised to provide $150 million while Townsville City Council would take up the roadworks component, with an estimated value of $15 million.

That would leave an $11 million shortfall for the stadium component.

The council will also court the Queensland Rugby Union and Football Federation Australia for support, while lobbying continues to attract Federal Government support and funding.

Mr Smith said the stadium was a great opportunity for the city.

“I think it’s just it will be fantastic and will revolutionise the town,” he said. “The opportunity to have something so ingrained, right in the centre of town, that is for every part of the community is phenomenal.

Full story in today’s Townsville Bulletin

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
It's good that they left one side open so that people don't have to buy a ticket to see the game

I have a feeling they'll probably use that space to put up some giant billboards, every try conversion attempt at that end would bring in some good pubicity for companies, advertising space like that could generate a good amount of money.

Frankus

Juniors
ah good point.

theres large fields next door, turn that into a carpark. Although i suspect environmental lobbyists wouldnt be too pleased.

how does melbourne and brissy cope with large stadiums near the city then? probably have better infrastructure than sydney, but still. 50k games near CBD on a friday would surely cripple traffic nearby just like it would at wentworth.

Limited parking is available at Suncorp and all the nearby streets are no parking zones on game days. Pretty much forces people to use public transport to and from games. Your ticket allows for free public transport to and from the game. Drop off available.

Much the same in Melbourne although, I am not sure about the ticket getting free PT as I just used my myki (oyster card) when I was there to get around or walked to the G and Parklands, AAMI, Rod Laver, which is just SE of CBD or tp Docklands, W of CBD after catching a tram to the edge of CBD.

Sydney has the infrastructure but to do it right with a little bit of investment, but they would sadly need to move away from suburban grounds if they wanted it to be successful. From my experience transportation to suburban grounds is awful and even to Homebush it was bad. Going to the SFS was a breeze from Annandale though. It depends on where you are living as Syndey is a much bigger city than Melbourne in terms of size and travel time.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good price if they can build it for $186mill. Good to see the NRL putting in and hopefully spin off will be cheap rent unlike the other qland clubs are having to pay.

Latest posts