What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

TonyT6

First Grade
There is a train station outside ANZ Stadium and on major event days,these trains are direct from Central and Blacktown.
Its not as hard as people make it out to be.

I live down south and last year I needed three trains to get to the round 1 game at ANZ & it took 2 hours.i take your point about event trains but as I follow St George i won't have use for that service for at least 5 years.

t-ba

Post Whore
Is allianz that much more of a walk from Sydney cbd than Suncorp from Brisbanes? Having done both it doesnt feel like it.

Outskirts to outskirts I would say no.

Heart of CBD to heart of CBD is an entirely different matter however and the terrain isn't anywhere near as easy. Just google mapped it and Queen Street Mall to Suncorp is 1.7km and Pitt Street Mall to SFS is 3.4km over much hillier terrain. Central station in 2.5km away, Milton is 100's of metres away at best.

I worked on the mall in Brisbane and regularly hiked it up to the Children's court not far from Suncorp. I had zero issues doing this in a suit and tie during the Brisbane summer. Once Surry Hills started becoming less used syringy I'd often waste an afternoon after school walking to Town Hall from Moore Park. It's a substantially longer, hillier walk.

The walk to the SFS from Central is awesome if you enjoy a beverage or two but not ideal for families. Even getting off the train and then coralling your children onto a shuttle bus is a pretty shit mission. Brisbane and Melbourne are superior for access.

TheRam

Coach
the article makes some sense.
Homebush is in the middle of nowhere, and isolated on public transport.

A city mega-stadium would be the theoretical ideal seeing as anyone from practically anywhere can get one train or one bus and make it into the city circle compared to 1-3 to get into homebush.

With that being said moore park isn't the ideal, you'd preferrably want the mega stadium to sit closer to central or redfern to encourage public transport.

ANZ is located in a terrible spot which isn't going to get better.
I think its best to accept that now and push for consolidation in the 2 big CBDs and slowly try and lessen our dependency on the stadium.

Check out this article from a while ago. I have also been advocating for this for quite a few years now. See what you think, but if we want a sure fire successful stadium in Sydney which will be packed out practically every time a game is on, then this is where it should be. Prince Alfred Park Central. There is no substitute.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2009/12/15/sydney-needs-central-stadia/

The beauty of Melbourne?s sporting precinct is its proximity to the city CBD, and this is what Sydney needs. Sydney should build a Central stadia.
Part of the joy of attending sporting events in Melbourne is the experience doesn?t start and finish with the siren. You can visit restaurants, bars or pubs before or after the game, and is why Victorians, especially female Victorians, support sport so passionately.
The game is the focal point, but it?s the build up to the game and the ?debrief? afterwards that makes it so much more enjoyable.
Sydney?s ?equivalent? sporting precinct is the Olympic site at Homebush, it?s jewel is ANZ stadium.
ANZ stadium is a hybrid stadium designed to cater for ?rectangular games? (Union, League and Soccer) and games that require an oval playing surface (AFL and Cricket).
Unfortunately, the seating configuration is not suitable for the ?rectangular games? ? the spectators are too far from the action. I am excited about the proposal to reconfigure the stadium to be a true rectangular stadium, but I don?t think it requires a roof enclosure.
This, however, doesn?t rectify the fact that Homebush is in the middle of nowhere. It may be the geographic centre of Sydney, but it?s not the demographic centre.
I have attended many blockbuster union, league, AFL and football matches out at ANZ.
I enjoy sitting amongst 80,000 plus screaming fans, but I am daunted by the trip there and especially the trip home.
I would like to ride the euphoria of having just attended a top class event and sit with friends in bar or grab a late night meal in a comfortable restaurant. But instead I am faced with a 1.5 hour trip home.
As I wait at the Olympic station with tens of thousands of other supporters, we are herded into the trains like cattle onto a road train.
The adrenaline high I was feeling quickly turns to despair as I wonder why the line I have joined is moving slower than all the others.
We are tired, but all the seats are taken so we?re crammed in a train and head off on a soulless journey waiting to alight at Strathfield or Central. And then line up for another train.
Don?t ever contemplate driving. And the buses are equally painful.
I don?t mind going to ANZ for one off major events (such as the World Cup Final or NRL Grand Finals), but I don?t want to go out there on a regular basis.
And I am a member!
One day, with population shifts, Homebush will be a shining beacon in Australia?s stadia but they have to start working on bringing it a social vibe.
In 2008, the Lord Mayor of Sydney, Clover Moore, earmarked the space above the station and its sprawling tracks for a new Convention Centre. I have heard no more of this plan and I think it?s a poor place for an International Convention Centre.
Delegates want to see the harbour, which is why Darling Harbour is popular.
However, a stadium build here would be perfect.
Nearly all trains from Newcastle, Wollongong, the Blue Mountains and Greater Sydney passes through Central Station and the large proportion of Sydney residents are within a short drive to a train station, even the North West and the Northern Beaches.
(The proximity of Southern Cross station to Etihad Stadium in Melbourne makes attending games there effortless. Sydney needs an equivalent).
Surrounding Sydney?s Central station are a plethora of bars and restaurants. One can head to China town, Cockle Bay or Paddington, for example, and the area is filled with large hotels for International guests.
Who will pay for it?
Well, that?s another matter, but at least there is an option to bring life to Sydney?s sporting events.
Sydney must build Central Stadia.

sydney-stadiums.jpg

Image Google Maps: Central Stadia, a 70,000+ seat stadium and a 15,000 seat stadium build over the tracks and part of Prince Park in downtown Sydney. Inserts of ANZ stadium, the SCG and the SFS show the relative size of the new stadia.

DC_fan

Coach
It has a train station, but its in the middle of nowhere.
Its on a train line which is a pain in the ass to manouvre, not on any of the major lines.

Its not like the MCG within spitting distance of 7 or so of the teams and actually inside the city.
ANZ is at least 15 minutes from the nearest CBD (Parra), 15-20 from the dogs territory.
It just dosen't fit.

And if we're talking about consolidation these stadiums really should fit the teams, and with ANZ we have a stadium that no-one wants.

If we're thinking long term here perhaps a better investment than consolidating around a shit ground would be to abandon it and try and rely as little as possible on it.
Parramatta + the City are our two best options to consolidate imo.
A built up allianz could attract at least 2 NRL teams, maybe 3 or 4 if the Dragons and Manly are interested in shipping a few games.
A built up Parramatta would be less appealing, but would have a better time of trying to convince the Tigers and Panthers down for big games.
The Dogs would probably prefer ANZ for the mean while, equally far away from parra as ANZ and the rivalry between the two teams would be a major hazard to them moving in together.
The Sharks own their stadium, they can do what they like.

That's the ideal scenario.
Whether the government or the NRL are willing to shell out for it to happen is another question

Sorry, but this a total load of bullshit.

Homebush is the perfect place for a stadium like ANZ to be situated. It is near enough to the geographical centre of Sydney. The rail station is on a loop that joins in with the main western line allowing fans quick access to both the west and east towards the city. The M4 is only a kilometre away. So no matter where you live in Sydney, Homebush is not far from there. Can't say that about a stadiums built at Moore Park.

Thank goodness for that. The ANZ Stadium trial for the Swans had a good run (at the beginning at least). It will be a 15-year trial, to play the big blockbusters. But of late, it hasn't been that great.

I hope that a rectangular ANZ will begin at the end of 2016. End the AFL and Cricket at this ground once-for-all!

andrew057

First Grade
Smith needs to be firm.

Unless the money is spent on making ANZ a permanent rectangular stadium he shouldnt support it.

Rodney

Juniors
Sorry, but this a total load of bullshit.

Homebush is the perfect place for a stadium like ANZ to be situated. It is near enough to the geographical centre of Sydney. The rail station is on a loop that joins in with the main western line allowing fans quick access to both the west and east towards the city. The M4 is only a kilometre away. So no matter where you live in Sydney, Homebush is not far from there. Can't say that about a stadiums built at Moore Park.

The trains only hook onto to the western line on event days.
ANZ is at the geographic centre of Sydney, buts its not in the business and population centres.
Its just really equally far from everyone.

I'd argue for 2 mega stadiums, one in Parramatta (much easier to get to than Homebush for Western Sydney residents) and one near where Allianz is now.

ANZ isn't going to go away but its owners should be jostling for a place for it in the market. The NRL shouldn't be bending over backward just because its there.
ANZ probably suits the Bulldogs better than anyone, but the other teams really don't need it except for Easter and Finals games.

Rodney

Juniors
This should allow for redevelopment of ANZ in to true rectangular playing field suitable for League, Union and Soccer.

Another good reason to spend money on the stadium.

Isn't it still contracted to cricket australia though?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
ANZ is at the geographic centre of Sydney, buts its not in the business and population centres.
Its just really equally far from everyone.

Homebush is planned as a population center.

Homebush and Granville will bear the brunt of high-rise development. Homebush, because of its proximity to three railways stations and therefore jobs, will have up to 16,200 extra high-rise homes by 2050, to house a third of the corridor's population growth.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/its-offic...ts-by-2050-20141122-11rsmg.html#ixzz3Jwu0ShwW

I wonder how many of the "there's no entertainment venues for before and after the game at Homebush" crowd, were also in the "we need more day games to bring back the families" crowd?

papabear

Juniors
I agree with the RAM. A good central rectangular Sydney stadium would be great for Sydney and RL / Soccer and union.

Whilst you are playing live sport on Friday night you have a massive market in the CBD you could be appealing too.

morley101

Juniors
Eventually once the light rail is completed to Randwick/Kingswood (2019), you will be able to get on Circulay Quay or from as far Dulwich Hill to get to Moore Park.
Construction starts April 2015.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
So the sydney sports stadia situation was compromised by making anz compatible with afl only for the swans to bugger off whem the whinging of their latte fan set got to great.

I hope this is the catalyst for a total reconfiguration to rectangular field only. Cant see the midgets playing out of it and the cricket needs to maximise the games at scg to justify the expensive upgrade in capacity which was hardly justifiable for a ground is rarely at capacity

axl rose

Bench
So the sydney sports stadia situation was compromised by making anz compatible with afl only for the swans to bugger off whem the whinging of their latte fan set got to great.

cricket needs to maximise the games at scg to justify the expensive upgrade in capacity which was hardly justifiable for a ground is rarely at capacity

Cricket will need to justify its existence in the next 20 years, 20/20 and the sydney zappers or whatever they are are on borrowed time.

Raiderdave

First Grade
ANZ & most of its surrounds to go
replaced by apartments / Residential
people won't cop homebush .... that much is obvious
a new 70,000 seat rectangle venue to be built in the east near the CBD
to house All Roosters & Souths home games , some Dragons .. some Tigers .... some Manly some Sharks games

a new 45,000 seat rectangle indoor venue to be built in the west ... not at Parramatta but not too far away ...
to house the Bulldogs , some Tigers .. most Parramatta , some Penrith games
both venues to be up & running for the 2020 season with construction to start in 2017

i know it was for its own purposes, but the ANZ stadium chief threw numbera of $1b for a "new SFS", plus $300m to simply pay out the ANZ lease. And that doesn't even include the cost of a new western stadium.

I just can't see the government spending those kinds of dollars when it can "tart up" the current stadia at a fraction of the cost.

On a purely anticdotal basis, most of my dogs/souffs supporting mates (ie ANZregulars) don't have a great issue with the stadium, but those mates that only go there every now and then hate it. Might be an acquired taste.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Swans pulling out is better for all codes.
Cricket @ AFL belong @ SCG.
RL, RU & soccer should demand a rectangle upgrade of ANZ which would be far cheaper and much more profitable doing same and keeping it oval.

Parra

Referee
Which would require the three codes to get their co-operative act together. You only need to see the bickering & resentment in this forum to get an idea of how hard that will be.

Latest posts