What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Which would require the three codes to get their co-operative act together. You only need to see the bickering & resentment in this forum to get an idea of how hard that will be.

It would be best if all codes worked together, but its not like it cant happen...

As long as there is mutual benefit for all (which there would be) and at least one CEO thats not a moron, a coalition of these leagues could actually happen
- DSmith would probably become the natural leader just through his personality alone
- That Pulver bloke from RU seems like a reasonable worker, just handicapped with a shitty product.
- Gallop wouldnt be any help in lobbying, but he would jump on the bandwaggon in a second.

Honestly, this union of sports could be a legitimate outcome if it meant getting a good stadium for all involved.

Parra

Referee
Too many narrow minded idiots on all sides. You choked in your own post, even though you could see the merit.

Administrative alignment has more benefits than just political lobbying for a stadium.

Suitman

Post Whore
I have no doubt that the three major rectangular sports could agree and push for a major permanent rectangular stadium upgrade at Homebush, now that the power hungry ALF has withdrawn support for the place. They only originally put $3 million in to have the place kept round ffs. That's pocket money for them.
CA are a basket case and they offer ANZ no income whatsoever.
Football, Union and League offer the balance of power in this state for stadium redelopment, and therefore, they should have the final say. And the govt need to stop sucking up to the Mexicans.

Suity

Brutus

Referee
Too many narrow minded idiots on all sides. You choked in your own post, even though you could see the merit.

Administrative alignment has more benefits than just political lobbying for a stadium.

Well it is a shitty product.

El Diablo

Post Whore

will it make news in Adelaide?

Crippler

Juniors
the problem with ANZ is the west and east grandstands are still far away from action as designed to surround an oval ground. And that only the ground tier seats can get close to the sidelines.

ANZ needs to be bulldozed and started again

bottle

Coach
the problem with ANZ is the west and east grandstands are still far away from action as designed to surround an oval ground. And that only the ground tier seats can get close to the sidelines.

Amen.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I maintain that running the ground East-West and just bulldozing/rebuilding the North-South stands would turn ANZ into a god damn gem for Rectangular-field sports.
(been a while since ive said that...)

Considering the roof structure is already in place (north/south could be free standing) and the Gov has said they are willing to commit a good bit of cash, it would absolutely be feasible.

The only real problem would be the corporate boxes, but more could be build in new stands and its not like a tryline view is terrible.

Rodney

Juniors
Even with the three codes vying together to request rectangle ANZ wont change unless there are viable alternatives and a benefit to focusing solely on rectangle games.

There will need to be some sort of consequence for keeping ANZ as an oval stadium that outweighs the revenue received from CA considerably.
It'll cost considerably more to change ANZ than to keep it as it is structurally.

A way of doing this would be to upgrade Allianz and Parramatta.
With other alternative venues to host big games ANZ will have to lift its game itself.

The AFL used ANZ for this same purpose.
As a bargaining chip and leverage in negotiations with the SCG.

If ANZ credibly fears the loss of the Rabbitohs, Bulldogs and the partial residencies of the Eels, Tigers and Dragons that would be a huge incentive for it to rectangularize.
Providing an alternative venue for sydney's big games or even some ANZ's primary tennants scares them, which is why they've come out and tried to misrepresent the proposals so blatantly.

In an ideal world where these plans go ahead ANZ would be pressured into carving its own niche as a stadium for big events.
Its unlikely we're going to get over 65k in either Parra or Allianz, which is where ANZ comes in.
An event stadium which makes extra money on the side hosting Dogs games and whoever else is willing to partially play out there.

alien

Referee
stuff will get built around ANZ as part of this 350 mil redevelopment. Build a shopping centre, a few pubs and restaurants and people will be coming there regardless of the footy.

Rabbitohs should build a Leagues Club right near ANZ Stadium if they are going to keep playing there full-time. Imagine all the traffic the club would get, even from supporters from other teams, and other sports who play at ANZ Stadium.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Rabbitohs should build a Leagues Club right near ANZ Stadium if they are going to keep playing there full-time. Imagine all the traffic the club would get, even from supporters from other teams, and other sports who play at ANZ Stadium.

A Leagues Club would be perfect, but they can survive on a hand full of big games on weekends.

Ive never been to Homebush outside of a football game, but i cant imagine there are too many people in the area at any one time...

insert.pause

First Grade
Mike Baird’s holy Allianz: $1.2 billion for stadium upgrades and light rail link

THE Baird government will spend $600 million on Sydney’s stadiums, with Moore Park’s Allianz Stadium the big winner in a more-than-doubled $1.2 billion Sports and Cultural Fund bankrolled by the sale of the electricity networks.

About $300 million is expected to be spent on Allianz — raising the hopes of NRL chief executive David Smith who wants a 65,000-seat main rugby league stadium there — with the remainder to be divided between ANZ Stadium at Homebush and Parramatta Stadium.

The government will certainly spend money on Parramatta Stadium — up to the $300 million mooted there to build a 40,000-seat stadium. However, it is likely to spend less than what ANZ Stadium wants on the Homebush facility, despite its owners releasing plans for a $350 million upgrade, which would *include a retractable roof and would bring fans closer to the action.

The $600 million package will be the government response to the State Infrastructure Strategy to be announced as early as today. It would be part of $20 billion the government says it will *secure if it gets a mandate to sell-off the electricity networks by winning next March’s state election.
A final decision on how much money Parramatta and Homebush will get is expected during the election *campaign. The marginal Liberal seats of Parramatta, Granville, Prospect and Strathfield are all expected to be *affected by that announcement.

The news of a possible snub to Homebush comes with the Sydney Swans announcing yesterday that they will stop playing at the stadium at the end of 2016. It also follows The Daily Telegraph’s revelations that Mr Smith wanted Allianz to be the prime stadium with Parramatta to be upgraded. A Daily Telegraph online poll yesterday showed the most favoured option for rugby league fans was a revamp at ANZ.
Increasing the Sports and Cultural Fund from $500 million to $1.2 billion is also set to allow upgrades of the Opera House and Art Gallery, which the premier foreshadowed to The Daily Telegraph last month.
The announcement will reveal that the government will reserve $1.2 *billion for sports and cultural infrastructure, up from $500 million in May.
The government says “of this amount, $600 million is reserved for stadiums, the focus of this investment will be on Moore Park and Western Sydney, the Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust will be tasked with finalising upgrade plans for Allianz Stadium.

“The government will assess *options for rectangular stadiums at Parramatta/Sydney Olympic Park.”
The State Infrastructure Strategy is the five-year plan to be presented to the government by Infrastructure NSW.
“Rebuilding NSW will ensure that, as our community and economy grow, NSW residents have the best in water, transport, education, health, sports and arts infrastructure,” Premier Mike Baird said yesterday.
The government has already pledged funds from the $20 billion to be reaped from the 49 per cent lease of the electricity poles and wires to a second harbour rail tunnel and north and south extensions to the West Connex motorway. A third of the $20 billion will be spent on regional areas.

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw...-light-rail-link/story-fnii5s3x-1227133631151

alien

Referee
A Leagues Club would be perfect, but they can survive on a hand full of big games on weekends.

Ive never been to Homebush outside of a football game, but i cant imagine there are too many people in the area at any one time...

There are also alot of events at the Super Dome next door. Concerts, WWE, hockey (the ice version), etc.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
There are also alot of events at the Super Dome next door. Concerts, WWE, hockey (the ice version), etc.

I just mean day to day...

They would need the average lunch and dinner crowds throughout the week for the turnover. Like i said, i dont know the area, but it doesnt strike me as a big residential place just yet.

Give it a decade or so and to live-in population will have picked up a bit, but until then im not sure it would be viable.

alien

Referee
I can understand the upgrades to Parramatta Stadium. Eels and Wanderers play there, but it's only a few suburbs away from ANZ Stadium, and both clubs can just play their big derbys there. I think the idea of building a NEW Western Sydney Stadium at Badgerys Creek, near where the airport is going to be is a good idea, as long as the railway lines are built. There is already a south west rail link from Glenfield under construction going to Edmondson Park and then Leppington. That could continue to Badgerys Creek. A line from say St Marys could connect to Badgeys Creek, and another line from Badgerys Creek to Camden (with a stop at Oran Park which I believe is going to get ALOT more houses soon), and a line from Camden to Macarthur Station, via South Mt. Annan (a railway station on the south side of the Mt Annan Botanic Gardens).

The Stadium at Badgerys Creek would be easy for people to get there by public transport from:
Penrith - Train from St. Marys to Badgerys Creek.
Macarthur/Campbelltown - Train from Camden to Badgerys Creek, or train from Glenfield to Badgerys Creek.
Liverpool - Train to Glenfield, then to Badgerys Creek.
Parramatta - Eels and Wanderers would probably play their small games at Parra and their large games at ANZ. It's only a few suburbs away, but if they wanted to play at a Badgerys Creek Stadium they could train to St Marys to Badgerys Creek, or to Glenfield to Badgerys Creek.

People flying to Sydney to get to the Badgerys Creek Western Sydney Stadium could use the Badgerys Creek airport and you're right there!

alien

Referee
LOL. This is the best photo shopped plan I have seen for ANZ.
Capacity upwards of 130 000. Unfortunately, the roof would have to go and it wOULD cost mega $.
It's also rectangular and doesn't look retractable, so f**k off ALF.
100000seatbdv4.jpg

That looks awesome, especially for big events like the Grand Final, some finals, S.o_O., and maybe even a televised WWE RAW episode or PPV every year :lol:, but why couldn't there be a roof???

Latest posts