What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Suitman

Post Whore
I just mean day to day...

They would need the average lunch and dinner crowds throughout the week for the turnover. Like i said, i dont know the area, but it doesnt strike me as a big residential place just yet.

Give it a decade or so and the live-in population will have picked up a bit, but until then im not sure it would be viable.

Yep. 19000 high rise apartments are planned for there within 10 years. Already, in the past 5 years, 8 high rise (20 story) apartment buildings have been built. The population is coming to Homebush.......finally.
The pubs will come. the shopping centres will come. The employment will come. Homebush will not be a wasteland again.

Suitman

Post Whore
That looks awesome, especially for big events like the Grand Final, some finals, S.o_O., and maybe even a televised WWE RAW episode or PPV every year :lol:, but why couldn't there be a roof???

Why waste money on a f**king roof, when we could have this?

Suity

alien

Referee
I just mean day to day...

They would need the average lunch and dinner crowds throughout the week for the turnover. Like i said, i dont know the area, but it doesnt strike me as a big residential place just yet.

Give it a decade or so and to live-in population will have picked up a bit, but until then im not sure it would be viable.

I see your point. I'm pretty sure alot of asians live near the area though, for example Lidcombe. I don't mean it as a racist thing, but I know alot of them love to gamble on the pokies etc. That's one reason why Wests Ashfield is making alot of money - from the large asian population around Ashfield who love to gamble. I used to even see them when I used to go to Wests Campbelltown. When ever I used to go there I would usually see the same ones there on the pokies or the roulette tables! :lol:

alien

Referee
Yep. 19000 high rise apartments are planned for there within 10 years. Already, in the past 5 years, 8 high rise (20 story) apartment buildings have been built. The population is coming to Homebush.......finally.
The pubs will come. the shopping centres will come. The employment will come. Homebush will not be a wasteland again.

Ohhh, then come on James Packer and Rusty! Build the Rabbitohs Leagues Club at Olympic Park and the people will come! :cool:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Cannot fathom how the sfs deserves the level of funding in the article. 3 fulltime tennants none which average more than 50% of capacity. Just what is a 65k seater going to acheive in the east of sydney as far from the center of population as you can get with no high density public transport close by! Suits no one except the scgt who after managing to add seats to the scg that will never be sat in are doing the same at the sfs

If this goes ahead they have officially botched the stadia strategy in sydney. Oylmpic park must be rectangular, upgrade parra to 30k, all seater boutique at brooky, facelift at allianz is all thats needed

LineBall

Juniors
I don't live in Sydney - and have only been to Allianz once - but am I correct in saying that Allianz needs better public transport and access, rather than any structural changes to become a more useful Stadium?

Delboy

First Grade
I live in the Hills and avoid going to Allianz, Parramatta has all round use 12 months a year, there are plans for light rail from station to the ground.

I can get to ANZ in 20 minutes, but the viewing is very ordinary, if AFL doesn't want to use it , then upgrades will serve little purpose unless they make is real rectangle - but not sure how it would be used more

If they upgrade Parramatta to 35k, plus more modern facilities , then that is the most sensible use of extra funding. As Ben Elias said, its not rocket surgery

cleary89

Coach
Yeh, upgrading a stadium that is used by 1 nrl team 10 times a year is better than making the anz shit hole into a rectangular stadium that is used for 2 clubs full time, 3 others part time, origins, grand finals and semis?

SFS doesn't need extra seats, it's capacity is fine. Just needs some upgrades.

But how good is it we get to talk about this stuff because finally we get some money for upgrades.

bottle

Coach
Yeh, upgrading a stadium that is used by 1 nrl team 10 times a year is better than making the anz shit hole into a rectangular stadium that is used for 2 clubs full time, 3 others part time, origins, grand finals and semis?

SFS doesn't need extra seats, it's capacity is fine. Just needs some upgrades.

But how good is it we get to talk about this stuff because finally we get some money for upgrades.

You forgot the Wanderer thngys cleary. They need more seats to turn their backs on.

Red Bear

Referee
Allianz may only have one club but should be used more, frankly. It's a far better viewing ground than ANZ. But it shouldn't be boosted up, 45K or whatever is fine for what it is. Money could be better spent upgrading facilities in the ground.

Then encourage any bigger games from the Dragons, Sharks there for starters. Maybe Manly.

Plus A-League, Waratahs.

Light Rail link would be great though should it get in.

Upgrade of Parramatta would be excellent, shift bigger games from other western clubs over there.

ANZ really depends on how good a job they can do of making it rectangular. I don't think Cricket gets much out of it, frankly, should stay at the SCG. But three codes could benefit if it's done well.

Allianz and ANZ capacities are just about right.

How much have the various government spent on Kogarah in the last 12 years or so? I feel like if the Dragons had stuck with Allianz they could have had a much better attendance record over the last little while, and it would also allow for better relations with the Wollongong half of the merger (because it could've easily been 6/7 games at SFS, 5/6 at WIN, rather than 4 games in Wollongong, 8 games in Sydney, as has now happened).

insert.pause

First Grade
In a sign the NRL will be a serious player in Sydney’s stadium battle, a well-placed source has revealed that Smith is giving the Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust $750,000 to fund half of a new “concept design evaluation” for Allianz.

Work on the study has apparently already begun, assessing two options: refurbishing the existing Allianz stadium with between 45,000 and 55,000 seats or demolishing it and building a new 65,000-seat facility.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/opi...er-allianz-arena/story-fnnsmca6-1227131329383

There are two proposals, I would hazard a guess and say the 65k seat rebuild is being used to strong arm ANZ into making it a permanent rectangular venue. However, the whole point of the stadium upgrades is because the NSW Gov no longer want to fund the maintenance on suburban venues and the NRL are moving to stadium rationalization in line with that, so I doubt the roosters will be the only NRL club playing out of a redeveloped SFS regularly. These upgrades are for the games future and should be thought of in those terms and how the game will hopefully look then, not how it looks now.

SFS 52,500
Parramattta 35,000 - 40,000
ANZ rectangular

Either way, it's refreshing that the NRL is the strongest voice in the lobbying for once.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I dont know what the deal is with sfs ownership, but I wouldnt be surprised it DSmith was trying to get a similar deal to what the VFL got with Etihad; a stake in the control or eventual ownership by the League.

Long term, Roosters will not be the only team playing out of the SFS. Dragons will move there once they give up on kogarah. NRL might even push souths back there as well. And if it did make 65k, i would wager that it would get an origin game and may even be in line for a GF if only to put the scare into ANZ.

I dont know what the deal is with sfs ownership, but I wouldnt be surprised it DSmith was trying to get a similar deal to what the VFL got with Etihad; a stake in the control or eventual ownership by the League.

Long term, Roosters will not be the only team playing out of the SFS. Dragons will move there once they give up on kogarah. NRL might even push souths back there as well. And if it did make 65k, i would wager that it would get an origin game and may even be in line for a GF if only to put the scare into ANZ.

Could the NRL really push Souffs back to the SFS though? If ANZ is giving them a better deal, they're not likely to move and I can't see the NRL having the power to force them.

In an ideal world we would have 3 teams playing out of ANZ and the SFS. I know some people see a centralised stadium policy as "following the AFL" and that it wouldn't work, but as long as there was a decent reciprocal rights policy for memberships, it would be great for crowd numbers.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Could the NRL really push Souffs back to the SFS though? If ANZ is giving them a better deal, they're not likely to move and I can't see the NRL having the power to force them.

In an ideal world we would have 3 teams playing out of ANZ and the SFS. I know some people see a centralised stadium policy as "following the AFL" and that it wouldn't work, but as long as there was a decent reciprocal rights policy for memberships, it would be great for crowd numbers.

When i say "push", i dont mean force so much as incentivise...

But that is based on the assumption that the NRL is looking for control of the SFS, so onestly im just guessing.

It does seem logical though for Souths to play out of the SFS if it was to get a $300million upgrade.

bazza

Immortal

Ideally for Sydney I would like to see:

SFS: Upgraded with better roof, better facilities e.g. food, drinks and corporate, transport links. Capacity stay around the same 45k
Roosters, Souths play full-time there. Saints, Manly and Cronulla play a few games there.

Homebush: Upgraded with better roof and rectangular. Capacity 60 - 70k.
Dogs play full-time. Tigers 6+ games. Parra and Penrith play a few games there

Parramatta: Upgraded to hold 25-35k with much better facilities

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Would it be in the NRL's best interest to own and run the SFS though?

Wouldn't they be better off playing the SCG/SFS Trust, Stadium Aus trust and the NSW Govt (Parra) against each other so they could get a better deal for each club?

It was a bit different in Melb from how I understand it, the MCG was basically the only stadium in town and could do what it wanted, and the AFL needed an alternative.

Cannot fathom how the sfs deserves the level of funding in the article. 3 fulltime tennants none which average more than 50% of capacity. Just what is a 65k seater going to acheive in the east of sydney as far from the center of population as you can get with no high density public transport close by! Suits no one except the scgt who after managing to add seats to the scg that will never be sat in are doing the same at the sfs

If this goes ahead they have officially botched the stadia strategy in sydney. Oylmpic park must be rectangular, upgrade parra to 30k, all seater boutique at brooky, facelift at allianz is all thats needed

The NSW Government don't own Brookvale Stadium. That is why it is not included in their stadium strategy. They have been very clear they will only fund upgrades to their own stadiums and ANZ Stadium, whilst managed by a private company currently, is owned by the NSW Government.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.nrl.com/nrl-welcomes-sta...4/newsid/83111/default.aspx?cid=NRL_HP_Latest

NRL welcomes stadium strategy

3:57pm Tue 25th November, 2014

The NRL on Tuesday commended the NSW Government's commitment to upgrading Sydney's stadia network to deliver a better experience to rugby league fans.

The Government today released its State Infrastructure Strategy which preserves $600 million to support investments in sporting infrastructure.

The Strategy recommends upgrading Allianz Stadium and reviewing alternatives in Parramatta and Homebush to address the need for a stadium that caters for rectangular sports. It also signalled the start of long-term planning for an outer Western Sydney stadium.

Chief Executive Officer Dave Smith said the Government's willingness to invest $600 million towards delivering a world-class rectangular stadium network was an important step in the process.

"More than 100 games of elite rugby league are played in this city each year – and we are by far and away the largest provider of elite sporting content in NSW," Mr Smith said.

"Today's announcement is massive for our game. Our fans have missed out in the past but the greatest game of all deserves a world-class experience.

"Our fans deserve facilities that bring them closer to the action and are easy to get to. That means facilities that are purpose built for rugby league.

"The best stadia in the world are those where people already live and work nearby, are part of thriving precincts and are on public transport hubs so fans can access them easily."

Mr Smith said Moore Park was on the doorstep of the CBD and with the commitment to building a light rail service to run past its doorstep it had the key attributes to make it a truly great, world-class stadium.

As the major provider of content for the stadium, the NRL is partnering with the Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust on a concept design for options to redevelop Allianz Stadium.

The investment ensures the NRL, on behalf of its fans, is part of the discussions around delivering a world-class fan experience and a purpose built, rectangular stadium that befits Sydney's status as a leading Australian and global city.

The NRL's upfront funding partnership with Allianz was aimed at securing rugby league fans a seat at the design table to assist meet critical deadlines for government funding.

The NRL has negotiated with the Trust that the $750 000 upfront investment will be recouped once funding for the upgrade is finalised.

"Upgrading Allianz is a logical first step and there is no doubt it will become a cornerstone of Sydney's stadia network," Mr Smith said.

"A second world-class stadium, however, is needed in central western Sydney and we will continue to work with the Government on the best possible solution.

"These are decisions that shape the long term future and we are determined that the fans of today, and the fans of tomorrow, get the best outcome."

The NRL said it would continue to engage with the Government as it considers the best options for fans in western Sydney.