What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

insert.pause

First Grade
The NRL's upfront funding partnership with Allianz was aimed at securing rugby league fans a seat at the design table to assist meet critical deadlines for government funding.

The NRL has negotiated with the Trust that the $750 000 upfront investment will be recouped once funding for the upgrade is finalised.

SPENDING $750,000 on a feasibility study to rebuild Allianz Stadium, which is home to only one club while others are left with poor facilities.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ction-of-the-nrl/story-fnj45km6-1227132331378
Smart and the game doesn't lose a cent! If rothfield cared to do his job probably and seek comment from the NRL regarding the investment he wouldn't have had anything to whinge about.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think it needs a major paradigm shift in thinking on the use of grounds. At the moment stadiums are seen as "home"grounds with clubs being based there for 90-100% of home games and often paid by the stadium an appearance fee or paying rent on a stadium to use it . The shift to thinking of a centralised stadium policy with the NRL dictating what games are played where & when and making these games major sporting events for Sydney is what is needed.

That might mean some clubs only playing 4-5 games at their "home" ground and the rest at either Allianz or ANZ in these all Sydney blockbusters. These games should be scheduled,controlled,marketed and made events by the NRL. Any full member of any club gets free admission to these events. Clubs are paid seperate to the grants for these games ie an "appearance" fee. We have major schedule fatigue in fans at different times in the season and games that should be our cash cows and driving massive TV and attendances barely rate a whimper as they are just another home game.

Its time for the game to have a major rethink on how games are run in Sydney, if we are going to keep so many teams then we need to cash in on the "tribalism" and the fact you have two sets of fans to market these all sydney games to. We need some real out of the box thinkers to come up with a new way for the NRL to operate imo.

Last edited:

insert.pause

First Grade
Investing in sports infrastructure

The Government will reserve a minimum
of $600 million to invest in sporting
infrastructure, with funding available from
2017-18. The focus of this investment will
be on Moore Park and Western Sydney

> The Sydney Cricket and Sports
Ground Trust will be tasked with
finalising upgrade plans for Allianz
Stadium.

> The Government will assess options
for rectangular stadia at Parramatta/
Sydney Olympic Park.

The Government will also look at:

> identifying long term options for the
construction of an outer Western
Sydney Stadium, with the appropriate
capacity and facilities to house highprofile
events

> options for a multi-use indoor stadium
in Sydney

p.20 https://www.nsw.gov.au/sites/defaul...4-state-infrastructure-strategy_nov24_web.pdf

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Chief Executive Officer Dave Smith said the Government's willingness to invest $600 million towards delivering a world-class rectangular stadium network was an important step in the process.

"More than 100 games of elite rugby league are played in this city each year – and we are by far and away the largest provider of elite sporting content in NSW," Mr Smith said.

"Today's announcement is massive for our game. Our fans have missed out in the past but the greatest game of all deserves a world-class experience.

"Our fans deserve facilities that bring them closer to the action and are easy to get to. That means facilities that are purpose built for rugby league.

The investment ensures the NRL, on behalf of its fans, is part of the discussions around delivering a world-class fan experience and a purpose built, rectangular stadium that befits Sydney's status as a leading Australian and global city.

"A second world-class stadium, however, is needed in central western Sydney and we will continue to work with the Government on the best possible solution.

"These are decisions that shape the long term future and we are determined that the fans of today, and the fans of tomorrow, get the best outcome."

The NRL said it would continue to engage with the Government as it considers the best options for fans in western Sydney.

I might be reading what i want him to be saying, but this really seems like he is working for ANZ to go rectangular permanently.

He is refusing to back the ANZ proposal, talking up SFS as the NRLs preference for big sydney games and is hinting at an alternative choice for western sydney. Every time the SA people present a new idea from a redevelopment, they seem to assume that NRL games are a given. DSmith really seems to be trying to break this perception.

ANZ will never be torn down, but i genuinely can see the NRL threatening to remove all games except maybe origin and GFs is they dont get a good reconfiguration.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So he should be, ANZ size means it will never be a good stadium for club football. It should be used very sparingly by the NRL, it is not the NRL's job to keep it a viable concern, that is the Govt's problem.

Problem with that is the NRL has no say over where club games are played and can not stop clubs taking games to ANZ. Financially at this time it suits clubs nicely to play there, even if their fans think its sht.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
> The Government will assess options
for rectangular stadia at Parramatta/
Sydney Olympic Park.

The Government will also look at:

> identifying long term options for the
construction of an outer Western
Sydney Stadium, with the appropriate
capacity and facilities to house highprofile
events

So we could have a situation where Parramatta AND Blacktown/Liverpool are funded.

insert.pause

First Grade
The NRL now have an equal say along with the SCG trust in the redevelopment of the SFS, design and size, which gives them a bargaining chip with ANZ on its design, and the beauty of it is it didn't cost the game a cent, with the $750k investment to be repaid on the funding being secured. Smith deserves some wraps, clever strategy and a fantastic result.

LineBall

Juniors
The NRL now have an equal say along with the SCG trust in the redevelopment of the SFS, design and size, which gives them a bargaining chip with ANZ on its design, and the beauty of it is it didn't cost the game a cent, with the $750k investment to be repaid on the funding being secured. Smith deserves some wraps, clever strategy and a fantastic result.

Yet Rothfield says Smith is hopeless - Code in Crisis.

LineBall

Juniors
I just remembered something...

Am i right to think that ANZ have a right to veto any new sydney stadiums over 50k seats??

I remember hearing something similar as well - but I thought the stadium had to be within a certain distance of ANZ - and it was only Parra Stadium that was affected.

insert.pause

First Grade
lol, Moore Park to Sydney Olympic Park is only 18km

I thought I had read something saying only west of Sydney, because it only affected Parramatta upgrade, but I would say that's because the SFS already had a capacity above 25,000 before ANZ was built, so the agreement with ANZ Stadium still has no impact on any planned SFS upgrade.

The key is Parramatta. If the government agrees to significantly increase its capacity, the ANZ operators could demand the government pay out the remaining 17 years on their lease and run the stadium itself.

It has leverage to force this outcome under an agreement signed in 1996 with the government before the stadium was built. It compels the government to “negotiate in good faith” with ANZ to ensure there is no “material adverse effect” if the government lifts the capacity above 25,000 of any stadium within 50km of Homebush.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...rts-war-heats-up/story-fnniow7v-1227123591373

alien

Referee
I'd bet campbelltown with a rumoured 3rd sydney A-league team based out of the South-West.

a few things campbelltown stadium (leumeah) has going for it is its near main roads, plenty of parking (which can easily be increased near the stadium), railway station next door, population increasing around that area. a macarthur a-league team playing out of campbelltown stadium sounds good. macarthur magpies! :lol:

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
the Penrith journos are thinking the outer western Sydney stadium will be built there

crazy if that happens